Alien 5 Dead, Alien Reboot Go

Doesn't need a remake, there is massive scope for continued films in the series without Ripley but still set in the future. A remake is redundant, there is nothing about the settings or designs of the Alien's needs updating. Don't see the point of this, the series isn't dependent on Ripley like Terminator is on Sarah/John Conner.

• 2 weeks later...
Doesn't need a remake, there is massive scope for continued films in the series without Ripley but still set in the future.

Indeed. You could explain that a massive cover-up is the reason no one knows the Aliens exist, and have it take place 100 years after the last one or something so it still has the feel of the original. You could also explain that everyone thought the Aliens were completely wiped out, but there is one left. There's no reason for a reboot.

In the studio's defense (let me take the gun out of my mouth as I say this), Alien is much easier to market than Alien 5.

If there was a reason to continue the series they probably would have done so over the past 12 years. AvP notwithstanding.