Poor Cyclops

Missy

Earlier today I was listening to The Uncanny X-Cast, and something dawned on me: Cyclops has five biological children, yet he's actually only produced one of them.

Cable: His son with Madelyne Pryor.

Stryfe: The clone of Cable.

X-Man: His alternate reality, artificially grown son with Jean Grey.

Rachel Grey: His daughter with Jean Grey from an alternate future.

Ruby Summers: His daughter with Emma Frost from an alternate future. (She's not yet a part of the core Marvel Universe, but it's pretty clear that Peter David intends to bring Ruby back from the future to join X-Factor.)

Also consider this: Cable has a child (Tyler Dayspring) and he's pretty much adopted Hope, so Scott is also a grandfather. Along those same lines, it can be assumed Stryfe has committed rape, so Cyc might also have rape-produced grandchildren from the clone of his son.

This guy's family tree is a mess!

Furthermore, after his longtime girlfriend returned from the grave, it turned out that it wasn't really her; it was actually a godlike cosmic force using Jean's image. By the time the real Jean returned, Scott had married Madelyne Pryor, who turned out to be a clone of Jean and wound up being possessed by a demon. And now he's dating Emma Frost.

So to recap, Scott has dated / wed the Phoenix Force, the Goblin Queen, and the White Queen.

The guy did manage to get it on with a lot of different versions of the same woman. Not at the same time but still, props to Scott. Plus its not like he actually taken the time raise many of these kids. He's basically a deadbeat dad with a sleezy new girlfriend who only shows up to tell them when they are doing something wrong.

The best part is that, due to time travel, Cable is older than Scott and is raising a daughter that is, quite possibly, the reincarnation of Jean, Scott's second wife and the clone of Cable's mother, Madelyne. For that matter, the only thing dissolving Scott and Maddy's marriage was death and, since she came back from the dead and all recently, this brings up the point, if my wife/husband comes back from the dead, are we still legally married? If so, Scott is not only a polygamist, but if Hope is indeed Jean, then he's also got a child bride but at the rate she's been aging, it's likely that when all this time travel is over, Hope will be 18 and legal so Scott can dump yet another girlfriend to hook back up with Jean... only to find out she would rather do Wolverine this time. Then maybe, just maybe, Scott will take the time to realize, hey, maybe I've been a douchebag all this years, I need to stay with the woman I married, not abandon the children I sire, and maybe, just maybe, finally get that surgery to remove that stick from my ass.

The best part is that, due to time travel, Cable is older than Scott and is raising a daughter that is, quite possibly, the reincarnation of Jean, Scott's second wife and the clone of Cable's mother, Madelyne. For that matter, the only thing dissolving Scott and Maddy's marriage was death and, since she came back from the dead and all recently, this brings up the point, if my wife/husband comes back from the dead, are we still legally married? If so, Scott is not only a polygamist, but if Hope is indeed Jean, then he's also got a child bride but at the rate she's been aging, it's likely that when all this time travel is over, Hope will be 18 and legal so Scott can dump yet another girlfriend to hook back up with Jean... only to find out she would rather do Wolverine this time. Then maybe, just maybe, Scott will take the time to realize, hey, maybe I've been a douchebag all this years, I need to stay with the woman I married, not abandon the children I sire, and maybe, just maybe, finally get that surgery to remove that stick from my ass.

He had that surgery when he hooked up with Emma the Evil Stepmother, now he's the annoying midlife crisis dad living out in San Francisco.

I'm getting the impression that Scott with hump anything with Jean's genes, its a good thing that he finally kicked that habit or he'd have run out of clones and possessing forces and alternate reality versions to screw and get killed.

I would like Scott being with Emma except I like Emma as a character more and I really don't anticipate when they end up screwing each other over in the near future. Emma has received way too much character development since the Hellfire Club days to backslide into being a villain. If Dark Reign takes it there and this isn't some insane Xanatos Gambit between her and Scott, then I might be a little pissed. Anyway, Scott has become a more interesting character as of late when he isn't being a dick to Xavier for what feels like no real reason to me.

I would like Scott being with Emma except I like Emma as a character more and I really don't anticipate when they end up screwing each other over in the near future. Emma has received way too much character development since the Hellfire Club days to backslide into being a villain. If Dark Reign takes it there and this isn't some insane Xanatos Gambit between her and Scott, then I might be a little pissed. Anyway, Scott has become a more interesting character as of late when he isn't being a dick to Xavier for what feels like no real reason to me.

I don't think Emma will actually turn evil again. They'll pull a ton of fake-outs for the readers (like they already have), but they'll keep her ultimately good.

I think Xavier deserves all the crap he gets from Scott. Heck, Xavier was practically keeping Scott as his own personal soldier/servant, albeit for "the best of intentions." It wasn't until Emma finally was able to stand up to Xavier and show Scott how he'd been manipulated that things got better.

I gave up on them years ago. It's too convoluted and ridiculous to me at this point. How can you possibly keep up?

Honestly, I've tried to pick the book up again and it just seems like the same stuff rehashed over and over again. Xavier's dead again? So it Jean? The X-Men are hated for no good reason again? Magneto's dead again? Emma Frost is good? No, she's evil? But she's good? Cyclops is conflicted and emotionally unstable? STILL?!

I just don't have the patience for it anymore.

I'll just say that Mike Carey has done an excellent job since taking over the overall direction of the universe and as long as you skip the minor X-books you'll find it easy to get back into. I'm actually getting more and more into X-men thanks to recent developments.

Xavier's dead again?

Nope.

So it Jean?

Yup.

The X-Men are hated for no good reason again?

They've pretty much always been hated.

Magneto's dead again?

Nope.

Emma Frost is good? No, she's evil? But she's good?

She's undercover it would seem.

Cyclops is conflicted and emotionally unstable? STILL?!

Not really. He knows what he has to do now, and that's protect the mutant race at all costs, which might mean siding with Magneto. Scott's the leader of an endangered species, so at this point he's taken a very proactive stance when it comes to facing foes.

Try Uncanny X-Men, X-Men Legacy, and X-Force. Those three books will bring you up to speed on the X-universe.

Xavier's dead again?

Nope.

Hmm... the way everyone talked in the books I read, I thought he was. Oops.

The X-Men are hated for no good reason again?

They've pretty much always been hated.

It seems like every few years, they're accepted by the world, until a new writer needs to do his own racism metaphor. My point of view though - obviously I'm not reading the books, so I'm probably over-simplifying.

Cyclops is conflicted and emotionally unstable? STILL?!

Not really. He knows what he has to do now, and that's protect the mutant race at all costs, which might mean siding with Magneto. Scott's the leader of an endangered species, so at this point he's taken a very proactive stance when it comes to facing foes.

I guess I just don't see this from what I've read. He still seems conflicted and unsure of his place in what I've seen.

Try Uncanny X-Men, X-Men Legacy, and X-Force. Those three books will bring you up to speed on the X-universe.

I'll check out Uncanny. I've been sort of flipping through Legacy and X-Force and haven't been real impressed, honestly.

Xavier was shot in the head by Bishop, which sent him into a coma. Magneto and Exodus, however, were able to revive him.

It seems like every few years, they're accepted by the world, until a new writer needs to do his own racism metaphor. My point of view though - obviously I'm not reading the books, so I'm probably over-simplifying.

Honestly, I don't recall the last time the X-Men / mutants were accepted by the world. I mean, there was House of M, but that was a trick created by Wanda, so that doesn't really count.

They've been somewhat accepted by the people of San Fransisco but it's doing a slow cool down. I'll also agree that Carey is doing some of the best work with the X-Men I've seen since Grant Morrison's run. Claremont was still tolerable back then and the only cloud was Chuck Austen but the guy's really a terrible writer to begin with so let's not think of that (Seriously, Nightcrawler is descended from Mutant Demons and Angel is from Mutant Angels? Dear god, who stabbed metaphor and pissed on it's body?). The only one of the Satelite books to pick up would probably be X-Factor but that's just because Peter David kicks all kinds of ass.

On subject, I am finding Cyclops slowly more and more tolerable. Let's see if that lasts, shall we?

Xavier was shot in the head by Bishop, which sent him into a coma. Magneto and Exodus, however, were able to revive him.

If I shot someone in the head and he only fell into a coma, I'd be mad as hell.

If you were Bishop and it happened you be even crazier