Very close to breaking...buying a next gen console

elnino14

So I'm pretty close to breaking, I've told everybody that I've given up on next-gen gaming and have refused to buy any next gen system because I'm just not as interested in video games as I used to be.

I still get tons of playtime out of my PS2 and (re)discover great games all the time, such as Spider-man 2 and the Sly Cooper Series. There's still a few games that I want to play, and a few games that I scour the net to buy before they disappear completely (The Warriors, and Psi-Ops). But I'm getting very close to the wire.

Here's the status, I've got about $100 in Best Buy Gift Cards, and about $100 in Best Buy Reward Certificates, which knocks out about half the price of a new console. I don't have a ton of money yet, and I'm looking for a job, but when I find one along with a Fall Price Drop, one of my rewards is that I want to buy myself a new console soon after.

The question is which one, and I'm talking X-box or PS3 at this point. I don't have enough interest in the Wii.

So here's a bit of my personality when it comes to gaming and the next gen era:

My favorite genres are third-person action games and platformers. Not a huge fan of the First person shooters, not a fan of extremely long games which really hurts because I like RPGs but can never get through them and I'm not a huge fan of online gaming. My multiplayer style is that it's always funner to play with people around you than by yourself against people you don't know. Man I miss the N64. If the game has a great story that's always a plus for me.

In terms of the X-box, I'm really attracted to the netflix compatibility, as I am a subscriber to Netflix. It's also relatively cheaper in price on the face. I know that it costs $50 bucks for yearly online subscription, also no built in wireless adapter that I have to pay for. So honestly I don't know how much savings I'd have. Also 2 of my friends have a box, and if I ever want to play with them online, I'd need a box too, it also helps because I can always borrow games from them as well for single player experiences. Some going against the Box is that there's not a ton of exclusive games that I really want. The only one I can think of is maybe, Gears of War. Also Red Ring of Death is pretty commonplace.

As far as the PS3 goes, there's a ton of multimedia features, the online component is built in and free, but probably not very good. There's a blu-ray player. Also there's a lot of exclusive games that I'm interested in: MGS4 (never played 3, but I did really love 1 and 2, outside of Raiden), Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, and Infamous. But I'd have to buy any and all games I want, there's no borrowing, which means a lot of money I don't have. Also the console is so freaking expensive. Also say anytime I want to play online, I won't be able to play with my buddies, ever.

So kind-of summary:

X-box vs. PS3

Netflix vs. Blu-ray

Backwards compatible (cheap X-box games) vs. No backwards compatibile

Not too many exclusives vs. Many exclusives

Yearly Live Subscription vs. Free Internet usage

Expensive but not exorbitant vs. Exorbitant pricing

So help me out?

Xbox 360 has a 199 version but it doesn't have a hard drive. It also comes with a 3 year warranty on the red ring problem if you ever get it. PS3 has a few exclusives that are good, but most games are on both systems. PS3 also has free online play.

I have both, but almost never turn on my PS3 anymore since Blu-Ray isn't as good as I hoped.

I'm looking at specifically getting an X-box with a hard-drive. They have good deals on Elites that come with two games, hopefully they continue that with two new games in the fall.

Yeah most games are on both systems, but the couple that are on PS3 are really good (Like Uncharted mainly).

Wait,aren't some PS3s are backwards compatible? It's really annoying how Sony did that. I believe the ones that are backwards compatible are way more expensive though, and you already have a PS2. Sony was all nice and stuff until the PS3. Right now they have gone through 3 consoles (not including PSP). That means they are ahead of Microsoft. That is sort of why their expensive. While it's all cool and stuff, PS3 has way too many not very good things about , it's just a no no area. No No. PS3 and beyond, No No. Thinking, thinking, thinking, Wii! Get a Wii now, or wait a better Xbox is made. Red Ring of Death is too annoying. I'm sure that problem will be gone when Xbox gets an upgrade in a couple years (or maybe sooner?). Right now enjoy your PS2. Too hard of a decision for a new system now. You could go portable or buy a Wii? Even though those suck, they will stop you from getting bored if you take my advice and wait a long time for a Xbox 360 2 (or whatever the hell it will be called).

I'd hold off and wait 'til later this year. All signs are pointing to the new "PS3 Slim" launching this Fall or Winter, along with a price drop. Personally, I'm waiting to buy a PS3 until I know what that new console will include. Sony has actually filed a patent recently for a new software update that will allow for PS2 compatibility on all consoles. That'd be a nice thing to have. As it is right now, the PS3 is only backwards-compatible with PS1 games.

The Xbox Netflix thing is definitely really nice, but the quality can range from "decent" to "terrible." For me, it was more of a fun convenience than a system-selling feature. (though that may only be because I started watching more video on my new macbook)

I ended up selling my 360 last month because:

-I hated paying $50 a year for online service. If Microsoft keeps to their previous statements and makes the 360 last until 2014, that'd be another $250 in fees to pay. If Xbox Live is your thing, then it's probably worth it in the end, but personally I only use online play for random skirmishes, so the PS3's online is enough for me.

-All the accessories are expensive. While the PS3 has rechargeable battery packs built into their controllers, Microsoft sells theirs separately for $10 each.

-No built-in Wi-Fi. I had to buy a $20 ethernet cable in order to run a wire from my 360 all the way to my computer, which I then had to set up internet sharing on (which was painstakingly difficult, and still barely worked afterward). I could have bought Microsoft's wireless adapter for $100, but that's just ridiculous. If you've got a router right next to your console, though, it's no problem.

If you're wanting 3rd-person action and platformers, either console will be fine, though the PS3 has a few more exclusives in that area. (Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted, God of War)

The 360 is where shooters reign. If that's your shtick, then there's no better place to be.

The price ultimately evens out in the end, since the 360 has all those "hidden costs." (if you go all-out, the 360 costs a bit more, albeit over a longer period of time.) I think the choice is mostly between Xbox Live and PS3-exclusive games.

I'd go through the list of everything you'd want for either system (console & accessories-wise), and tally up the cost.

Be sure to check if you want extra controllers, battery packs, wireless adapters, online subscriptions, or anything else.

By my count, the 360 Elite (because anything less than 80GB will come back to bite you in the oncoming wave of downloadable gaming) bundled with a controller battery, a 1-year subscription to Xbox Live, and a wireless adapter will cost you $560. The PS3 80GB has all of that already built-in for $400.

Despite it being their main selling point at launch, Sony abandoned backwards compatibility on most of their systems. To add insult to injury it doesn't say on the box if it is or not. You have to know what you are looking for. Honestly, the 360 controller is the main reason I like the 360. I just can't stand the PS2/PS3 controller anymore.

I just can't stand the PS2/PS3 controller anymore.

Really? See, I'm the same way with the 360 controller. I'm very D-pad click-happy, so the 360's D-pad is what breaks the experience for me. Also, the PS3's analog sticks are a tad bit more precise.

For me it's all about the trigger buttons. The PS controller just has shoulder buttons.

For me it's all about the trigger buttons. The PS controller just has shoulder buttons.

You've definitely got a good point there. The only reason that doesn't bother me as much is because I don't play enough shooters for it to matter much to me. The "tilt buttons" on the PS3 controller are adequate, if not necessarily great.

- The online with your friends thing, ask them how often they would or currently play it to see if that is a factor.

- I set-up the wifi on my PS3 for the first time the other day and it works a treat. Used it on the new VidZone service which was cool, although the interface is pretty shitty.

- I think God of War 3 will be a real selling point for the PS3, I just hope it's long enough, as I thought 2 was a bit short.

- Downside to the PS3 is the amount of firmware updates for everything, it's really starting to get annoying!

Overall though, I agree with Knightwing, wait till about November and see what holiday specials they release.

* Disclaimer, the author of this posts owns a PS3, but not an Xbox.

I'd hold off and wait 'til later this year. All signs are pointing to the new "PS3 Slim" launching this Fall or Winter, along with a price drop. Personally, I'm waiting to buy a PS3 until I know what that new console will include. Sony has actually filed a patent recently for a new software update that will allow for PS2 compatibility on all consoles. That'd be a nice thing to have. As it is right now, the PS3 is only backwards-compatible with PS1 games.

This is all that needs to be said. Sorry I cut part of wehat you said Knightwing.

Anyway, I would recommend if you go for 360 get games that have 1 month free trials in them, give live a shot and see if playing online is for you, if it's not, then you had some fun.

But XBOX live is a con, in the past year I've played one game online, and that was halo, at my friends, where three of us where in the room playing people online, it was fucking awesome.

You can't repeat the fun of playing your friends in the same room, which is why games without split screen multiplayer annoy the fuck out of me, burnout paradise would've been awesome-r if it wasn't for this.

Anyway, I would recommend if you go for 360 get games that have 1 month free trials in them, give live a shot and see if playing online is for you, if it's not, then you had some fun.

Actually, new 360s also come with 1-month trials.

I didn't put this in my super-long post, but one of the reasons that I don't care as much for Xbox Live is that I mostly use online as a way to play against more intelligent opponents (be they friends or not), so I don't necessarily need my friends to be playing on the same console as me.

The PS3's online service is actually pretty good now; the real difference is that it's not as unified across all games, so it's up to the game's developer to make sure that the online works correctly. All the games from the "top" developers work very well.

• 2 weeks later...

with the two being the same price now I'm very much leaning towards the PS3. Just seems like a better console overall, sure there's no online watching (no Hulu, no Netflix) but as a gaming console it's better, hopefully sturdier (we'll see how the Slim does because I remember hearing the PS2 slim having a whole bunch of problems), and there's a whole ton of better exclusive games. Wi-fi compatible right out of the box, instead of of paying $100 for wireless and 50 for Live. So I'm very much leaning towards that. Now I just need to fucking graduate and find a job already.

I wouldn't call the few exclusives it has a ton.

Afrika

Final Fantasy Versus XIII

Folklore

God of War III

Gran Turismo 5

Heavenly Sword

Heavy Rain

Infamous

Killzone 2

The Last Guardian

LittleBigPlanet

MAG

Metal Gear Solid 4 / Metal Gear Online

Motorstorm (series of 2)

Ratchet & Clank Future (series of 3)

Resistance (series of 2)

SOCOM

Shin Megami Tensei

Twisted Metal

Uncharted (series of 2)

Valkyria Chronicles

Warhawk

White Knight Chronicles

And those are just the good ones. (not counting the PSN store)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS3_exclusives

To be completely fair, I've also made a list of major 360 exclusives. (not counting Live Arcade)

Ace Combat 6

Alan Wake

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts

Blue Dragon (series of 2)

Crackdown (series of 2)

Dead Rising (series of 2)

Dead or Alive 4

Fable (series of 2)

Forza Motorsport (series of 2)

Gears of War (series of 2, GoW1 also on PC)

Halo 3

Halo 3: ODST

Halo Wars

Halo: Reach

Lost Odyssey

Too Human

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_exclusives

I do have to admit, now that I sold my 360, I really miss Halo. (even though I rarely played it)

I think the PS3 has a wider variety of exclusives, though.

Edited by KnightWing

Guys, I think we're all overlooking the 360's biggest exclusive - Dead or Alive Xtreme 2.

Sweet merciful physics engine I like that series too much. It was scary how addictive the original was, I don't think I could buy the second one. Thing is about that game was that it drew you in with its obvious charms and then kept you there with some pretty neat RPG aspects, collecting all the outfits and accessories you could and actually getting good at the gameplay.

A lot of those games aren't even out. How are they better?

I put highly-anticipated future games (like Halo: Reach) on the 360's list as well. No reason we can't look to the future.

The Pixel Junk games are PSN, so you need to list Shadow Complex for the 360 which blows away anything on PSN.

Ah; you are correct. My mistake. PixelJunk has been removed.

I'd add downloadables to the list, but that gets very messy. Besides, the XBLA games are often graphically-upgraded retro-style games, while the PSN has more original games. They have a very different approach, and aren't easily comparable.

What about DLC for big games?

And then there's the Xbox Originals and PS1 game downloads. Would those need to be added as well? The PS1 games play on the PSP as well; would I need to mention that, too?

I figured it was best to just avoid the downloadable arena for now.

I've played most of the big games for the PS3 and maybe 3 are worth bragging about.

I listed the ones that are normally statistically listed as either the "top-rated games" or the "icons" of the console. And I disagree; I've played most of the games on that list and I think they're really great.

Guys, I think we're all overlooking the 360's biggest exclusive - Dead or Alive Xtreme 2.

Not Safe For Work
20061025.jpg

and there's a whole ton of better exclusive games.

I wouldn't call the few exclusives it has a ton.

You're right, I should specify, the exclusives on the PS3 fit my style more. While everybody loves Halo, and it is a great game, I'm just not big on First person shooters, I'd rather take the third-person action and platformers games like the Ratchet and Clank game, Infamous, MGS4 and Uncharted and the God of War series.

Although I admit, I would miss X-box exclusives like Gears of War series and Mass Effect (and Netflix), to me the PS3 games has games that fit my style more. BTW, I played challenge mode of Gears of War 2 with my friend and it's absolutely stupendous, so yeah it's one of the ones I would buy. Though for me Halo, and First Person Shooters in general (like Resistance) are overrated.

Speaking to Knightwing, You're missing Mass Effect and Valykria Chronicles on the X-box and PS3 respectively, I've heard nothing but good about those games.