A Comic Book Fan Survey

Koete

This was posted at the CGS forum and I thought it might lead to some interesting discussion over here.

1. During my time as a comic book fan, I have completely changed my opinion about the work of ______________(creator).

2. A recent trend in comics that I find most annoying is ______________________.

3. A recent trend in comics that I love is __________________________________.

4. I can't understand why ______________________ (creator, character or group) doesn't have an ongoing series?

5. I wish that _____________(creator) had been able to give us more _________________(title or character).

6. They really need to make__________________(non comic book property) into a comic book.

7. The next comic book or character adapted into a big budget movie needs to be______________.

8. Don't tell anyone but I secretly love _______________________. (creator, character or title)

9. My dream job in comics would be to _______________________.

10. The character in comics that is closest to my own personality is probably ________________.

Bonus: From question #4 - If you answered a creator, what title or character would you like to see them do? If you answered a character or group, what creative team would you like to see on the book?

1. During my time as a comic book fan, I have completely changed my opinion about the work of Bob Kane.

-When I was a kid, I thought Bob Kane was a genius for creating Batman. Now I know that Bill Finger and the multitude of Bob Kane ghost artists had more to do with the character's success than Bob Kane did.

2. A recent trend in comics that I find most annoying is Norman Osborn being everywhere.

-He's Marvel's Lex Luthor.

3. A recent trend in comics that I love is the return of the 80 Page Giant.

-I collect the Giant issues of Batman from the sixties and seventies and love the format. Can't wait to see new stories being told using it.

4. I can't understand why Aquaman from the Batman: The Brave and The Bold cartoon doesn't have an ongoing series.

-How outrageous would that be?

5. I wish that J. Michael Straczynski had been able to give us more Thor.

-Brubaker's had 50+ issues of Captain America without outside interference (except for the House of M one). Couldn't the same have been done for JMS?

6. They really need to make Babylon 5 into a comic book (again).

-The first run of these was pretty bad. I'd like to see what JMS can do a decade later.

7. The next comic book or character adapted into a big budget movie needs to be All Star Superman.

-You want to make a great Superman movie? Morrison has a 12 issue script for you.

8. Don't tell anyone, but I secretly love the Franklin Richards comics.

-They're fun, lighthearted stories that remind me of my favorite comic strip, Calvin and Hobbes.

9. My dream job in comics would be to write the Batman: The Brave and The Bold comic book.

-You can do anything and use anyone in the DC universe with this comic.

10. The character in comics that is closest to my own personality is probably Peter Parker.

01. During my time as a comic book fan, I have completely changed my opinion about the work of Mike Deodato.

I still can't stand his work from the 1990s, but his recent stuff on Thunderbolts and Dark Avengers has really turned me around on him.

02. A recent trend in comics that I find most annoying is people posting "first" on message boards.

It's a useless, annoying attempt to make oneself feel important.

03. A recent trend in comics that I love is writing for the trade.

When done right, a fuller, more complex story is generated.

04. I can't understand why the Power Pack doesn't have an ongoing series?

If Marvel wants to capture the youth market, an ongoing PP series will do just that.

05. I wish that Geoff Johns had been able to give us more Avengers.

It was a really good short run, but I wanted more. Along those same lines, I wanted more Fantastic Four from Scott Lobdell and Alan Davis.

06. They really need to make Back to the Future into a comic book.

The ongoing adventures of Doc and Marty would be sweet!

07. The next comic book or character adapted into a big budget movie needs to be Luke Cake.

He's ripe with potential both inside and outside of comics.

08. Don't tell anyone but I secretly love... hmm... I can't think of anyone I'd be ashamed to admit.

09. My dream job in comics would be to edit.

10. The character in comics that is closest to my own personality is probably... I don't know, really.

1. During my time as a comic book fan, I have completely changed my opinion about the work of Jeph Loeb.

2. A recent trend in comics that I find most annoying is oversaturation of characters.

3. A recent trend in comics that I love is long term storylines that progress the plot of books throughout the universe.

4. I can't understand why Cassandra Cain as Batgirl and the Irredeemable Ant-Man don't have an ongoing series?

5. I wish that Robert Kirkman had been able to give us more Irredeemable Ant-Man.

6. They really need to make Spaced into a comic book.

7. The next comic book or character adapted into a big budget movie needs to be Invincible.

8. Don't tell anyone but I secretly love Power Pack.

9. My dream job in comics would be to invent concepts for other people to write.

10. The character in comics that is closest to my own personality is probably Blue Beetle Ted Kord.

Bonus- I'd want the Cassandra Cain- Batgirl series to be written by Gail Simone and drawn by Phil Hester. I was going to say Benes but I don't really see him drawing the more petit women in a non-distactingly centrefoldish way. Cassie is a good looking girl but I've never thought she needed to be sexualised as much as say, Birds of Prey.

1. During my time as a comic book fan, I have completely changed my opinion about the work of Jack Kirby.

I started thinking that Kirby was a sub-par artist that got far, far more love than he deserved. I grew to understand that the man created sequential storytelling as we know it. He created more characters that I love than anyone not named Steve Ditko.

2. A recent trend in comics that I find most annoying is huge crossovers.

Sometimes they're good, most times they suck, I'm just tired of them.

3. A recent trend in comics that I love is the surge overall quality.

With few exceptions, the biggest companies (DC, Marvel, Image, Darkhorse) are putting on some of their greatest works ever. (A Caveat. When I say greatest works ever, I don't mean that the books are all at the best they could be or ever been, but each company has at least one or two books a month that I *have* to read.)

4. I can't understand why The New Gods don't have an ongoing series?

Yes, I know Morrison killed them and I know DiDio doesn't want them back for sometime, but the war between Apokalips and New Genesis could be such an amazing story.

5. I wish that Denny O'Neil had been able to give us more Question.

6. They really need to make the World War Two Adventures of Aldo Rahne and his Inglourious Basterds. into a comic book.

7. The next comic book or character adapted into a big budget movie needs to be Y: The Last Man.

8. Don't tell anyone but I secretly love Exiles.

9. My dream job in comics would be to write a new Vic Sage series.

10. The character in comics that is closest to my own personality is probably Scott Free.

Bonus: From question #4 - If you answered a creator, what title or character would you like to see them do? If you answered a character or group, what creative team would you like to see on the book? Neil Gaiman and Andy Kubert, please.

1. During my time as a comic book fan, I have completely changed my opinion about the work of Stan Lee.

2. A recent trend in comics that I find most annoying is overhyped, underplanned ret-conning.

3. A recent trend in comics that I love is attracting writers from other mediums to comics.

4. I can't understand why Michael Stackpole doesn't have an ongoing series?

5. I wish that Joss Whedon had been able to give us more Astonishing X-Men.

6. They really need to make The Nightside into a comic book.

7. The next comic book or character adapted into a big budget movie needs to be Green Arrow.

8. Don't tell anyone but I secretly love Sal Buscema. (creator, character or title)

9. My dream job in comics would be to write Deadpool.

10. The character in comics that is closest to my own personality is probably Peter Parker, pre-retcon.

Bonus: From question #4 - If you answered a creator, what title or character would you like to see them do? Astonishing X-Men

1. During my time as a comic book fan, I have completely changed my opinion about the work of Chuck Dixon. Granted it was very early. I suppose Bendis, Millar, Chaykin and Miller would fit as well.

2. A recent trend in comics that I find most annoying is the wanton force feeding of events and tie-ins that for the most part are complete and utter garbage.

3. A recent trend in comics that I love is sound effects in the art, bring back word balloons on the covers now!.

4. I can't understand why Captain Britain and MI-13 doesn't have an ongoing series?

5. I wish that Warren Ellis had been able to give us more Hellstorm.

You know, before he went off the rails and realized that people actually like him and then began creating the same books over and over.

6. They really need to make Repairman Jack into a comic book.

7. The next comic book or character adapted into a big budget movie needs to be______________. I honestly don't give a shit. I'm disappointed by the massive majority of comic book movies anyway. I kind of wish they'd stop making them.

8. Don't tell anyone but I secretly love Beef Jerky. I have no guilty pleasures.

9. My dream job in comics would be to write them for a living.

10. The character in comics that is closest to my own personality is probably Mister Miracle to be honest. At times I feel like Orion though.

1. During my time as a comic book fan, I have completely changed my opinion about the work of Chris Claremont.

- The guy was god when I was a kid.

2. A recent trend in comics that I find most annoying is the over-saturation of characters (hi Wolverine!), constantly rehashed origin stories (hi everyone!), editorial refusal to evolve characters (Hi Spider-man!), giant events that force every writer to tell the same story for six months (Hi Marvel!).

- I can't just pick one.

3. A recent trend in comics that I love is just the sheer variety of stuff available these days.

- If I want a funny horror book based on a Shakespeare play, chances are someone's making it.

4. I can't understand why Echo doesn't have an ongoing series.

- On that note, where the fuck did she go?

5. I wish that Steve Niles had been able to give us more Simon Dark.

6. They really need to make Tokyo Gore Police into a comic book.

7. The next comic book or character adapted into a big budget movie needs to be Battlepope.

- Something they can't fuck up.

8. Don't tell anyone, but I secretly love to drink Yoohoo.

- I'm with Des on this. I like what I like.

9. My dream job in comics would be to write adaptations of some of my novels.

10. The character in comics that is closest to my own personality is probably Matt Murdock.