Episode 31

RSS

another good episode.

I really like this story, I wouldn't say it's one of my favourites, but it's certainly entertaining. Strangely I first saw this in the Black and White version which was all that existed for a long time, and despite seeing it in colour since then, I still think it works a bit better in B&W.

Dr Lawrence is written a bit irritatingly..thankfully the actor has 2 much better roles later on in the series (he's really good in Genesis of the Daleks).

Bit of trivia, the actor playing Dr Quinn, Fulton Mackay, was one of Barry Letts choices to replace Jon Pertwee as the Doctor. he's probably most well known for his role in the comedy series Porridge, but for my generation he's also "the Captain" in the UK version of Fraggle Rock (he was our "Doc").

If you hated the music on this, I can't wait to hear what you think of the music in the semi-followup "The Sea Devils" which is similar....but worse.

• 4 weeks later...

Really enjoyed this one, not least because I'd just finished watching the story for the first time. Loved the description of the music, even though I liked it during the story - sure, it's odd and a bit crap, but an awful lot of seventies shows are odd and a bit crap, and that's why I like them.

I may have missed you discussing it (my MP3 player cut out, and I may have missed a few minutes), but I don't think you mentioned Geoffrey Palmer (the government minister), who is well known in the UK. He's the star of 70s sitcom 'Butterflies' and opposite Judie Dench in 'As Time Goes By'. He also memorably turns up in 'Fawlty Towers', and narrates half of British television (including a fair few Doctor Who DVD special features, I think).

He was also the captain in the new-Who 'Voyage of the Damned'.

If I missed you discussing him, or forgot it, my apologies.

I also adore Fulton MacKay, and thought he was awesome in this. Particularly liked him dealing with strange creatures in the caves. It's kind of a forerunner for his Fraggle Rock run.

I may have missed you discussing it (my MP3 player cut out, and I may have missed a few minutes), but I don't think you mentioned Geoffrey Palmer (the government minister), who is well known in the UK. He's the star of 70s sitcom 'Butterflies' and opposite Judie Dench in 'As Time Goes By'. He also memorably turns up in 'Fawlty Towers', and narrates half of British television (including a fair few Doctor Who DVD special features, I think).

He was also the captain in the new-Who 'Voyage of the Damned'.

If I missed you discussing him, or forgot it, my apologies.

He was also the British Admiral in Tomorrow Never Dies. Mostly amusing because it once again pitted him against Judy Dench.