J.D. Salinger, dead at 91

Missy

wow. I wonder what will now happen to his unpublished works.

Notoriously reclusive and unwanting of attention, he intentionally faded into obscurity, finishing manuscripts and putting them in a safety deposit box rather than publish them.

Catcher in the Rye is a classic any way you cut it.

One of two things: the family will respect his wishes for them not to be published or they get greedy and have them published around when Catcher enters the public domain so they can continue to make some money. As is, with Catcher being taught at nearly every high school and college in the US alone, I doubt they're going to be hard pressed for money any time soon..

One of two things: the family will respect his wishes for them not to be published or they get greedy and have them published around when Catcher enters the public domain so they can continue to make some money. As is, with Catcher being taught at nearly every high school and college in the US alone, I doubt they're going to be hard pressed for money any time soon..

I think the family will bring the books out and claim "The fans wanted to read his last work" while also making money from it. Also, people who have millions are probably the most likely to start to get greedy.