Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Delete

<---

I have never found a 2D Sonic game that I didn't like, and the way that they seem to be going out of their way to please the old-school fanbase with this one is giving me some high hopes. Just seeing the phrase Sonic 4 is a little bit surreal. I mean I've lived damn near my entire life with the classic three/four (I consider 3&K as one game)

I have never found a 2D Sonic game that I didn't like, and the way that they seem to be going out of their way to please the old-school fanbase with this one is giving me some high hopes. Just seeing the phrase Sonic 4 is a little bit surreal. I mean I've lived damn near my entire life with the classic three/four (I consider 3&K as one game)

Geeky time with Will: Sonic The Hedgehog 3 was originally supposed to be twice as long. However, the developers were not able to so such so they instead released the first half of the game as Sonic The Hedgehog 3 then developed the lock on technology for the second half of the game as Sonic and Knuckles which became Sonic 3 and Knuckles when you put the two games together. Remnants of the old data are still in Sonic 3 though. The level select screen for example has Mushroom Hill and Sandopolis as selectable zones and it even has some of the additional music in the sound test.

Geeky time with Will: Sonic The Hedgehog 3 was originally supposed to be twice as long. However, the developers were not able to so such so they instead released the first half of the game as Sonic The Hedgehog 3 then developed the lock on technology for the second half of the game as Sonic and Knuckles which became Sonic 3 and Knuckles when you put the two games together. Remnants of the old data are still in Sonic 3 though. The level select screen for example has Mushroom Hill and Sandopolis as selectable zones and it even has some of the additional music in the sound test.

Which is why I treat them as one long game. Hell if they used the naming conventions we do now back in 1994 it would be called Sonic 3: Episode 1

Which is why I treat them as one long game. Hell if they used the naming conventions we do now back in 1994 it would be called Sonic 3: Episode 1

It gets even more awesome since this is actually the second Sonic The Hedgehog 4. The first one was scrapped and later became Knuckles Chaotix.

• 4 weeks later...
Sega hopes to rejuvenate their flagship franchise with Sonic the Hedgehog 4, but one group in particular isn't on board: deranged Sonic fans. Destructoid discovered an internet petition by a sect of gamers who believe -- based entirely on the exceedingly brief footage that's been leaked -- that their money would be better spent on downloadable versions of the original Sonic.

That's right -- they intend on punishing Sega by throwing money at them. Here's their spiel in all its unedited glory:

"Fans of the sonic series are like most sega fans, we want their old games brought back to the glory days when sega was pretty much the power in video games. Seeing the gameplay of sonic 4 has made many of us realize what we already knew, Sonic 4 will simply not be anywhere near as good as the original sonic games. Either way, We will decide to finally show sega what the fans truly want. A real sonic 4, as long as sonic 4 stays the way it is, we will not buy it, we will in fact buy sonic 1 on release in protest of sonic 4, till we end up with a re tool, or change, we want sonic in hd, not sonic RUSH HD. We will not buy a future sonic game, till we get a true successor to sonic 1/2"

Whatever your opinion on Sonic's upcoming 2D adventure, you'd be hard-pressed to find much logic in their proposal. Never mind the fact that, by definition, these Sonic fans have almost certainly played through the original Genesis game already -- probably on several platforms. And what message, exactly, will Sega get if people march in droves to buy the nearly 20-year-old Sonic the Hedgehog instead of Sonic 4? It's sure to be about as effective as shopping at Sam's Club because you're boycotting Walmart.

Source

The jokes write themselves.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...