JackFetch

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Bunraku - streaming on Netflix. Go watch this. Now. A lot of unexpected big names combined with a blend of Westerns and samurai genres with just a dash of postapocalyptic tropes, and with heavy use of bunraku puppetry in scene transitions and backgrounds and narration (look it up), and you have the most awesome, intriguing film that I've seen in quite a while. Also, Ron Perlman.

Rob Marshal has been tapped by Disney to direct an adaptation of Stephen Sondheim's Into the Woods. http://deadline.com/2012/01/disney-sets-rob-marshall-to-direct-adapation-of-into-the-woods/ If it weren't Disney, I would be excited. However, considering the musical is a send up of Disney, it does give me a alight problem.

And, you know, it's Sondheim, and they take the original Grimm ending for Cinderella, what with the pecking the eyes out and cutting off of heels, etc. And the sex. And lots of other stuff.

I'd love to see a movie adaption of Into the Woods. But that it's Marshall and Disney make me give it the side eye. Marshall can make some very pretty productions (see: Chicago and Memoirs of a Geisha). But as far as adaptations go? He's not really got the greatest record there.

I think part of the problem with a lot of "realistic" stories is that they have an unwritten moral rule that there can be no moral rules. So basically you just get the inverse of the previously-established simplistic good vs evil storytelling style, and end up with something just as ridiculous but more depressing.