Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you want a decent vampire TV drama, watch Vampire Diaries. The first couple episodes are pretty Twilighty, but after that it's surprisingly hardcore. (not literally hardcore... you know what I mean)

I agree about Game of Thrones, too. I kind of always think gratuitous nudity in drama should have purpose. In GoT it often feels like the only purpose is to fill HBO's nudity quota for the episode.

Jesus tapdancing Christ, some 13 year old is totally going to use that for her baby.

A co-worker of mine gave birth in October to a daughter named Shaquoya. I thought this had no basis, other than the fact my co-worker herself has a stupid name (Chericce) and is generally rather thick - she has her own name tatooed on her foot. I was then informed the name came from 'Friends' as a potential name for Ross & Rachel's daughter. So the name did have a basis, but it's still awful and I feel sorry for the inconvenience that the sprog has to endure.

Still, a portmanteau name from a sub-par teen literary series is just as bad. Parents, you DO have every right to name your own child. But please, think of said child aged 6, having to wonder why their peers at infant school laugh at their name. If you still disagree, google "adolf hitler campbell" or indeed, his sisters JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell

I can't stand these people that have to name their kid something unique. I have to read these names every day, and it's somehow my fault when I misprounce it. Once a kid got mad at me for getting it wrong and I told them they should be mad at their parents for naming them something nobody can say out loud in English.

Haywire's got one of the oddest divides between critics and audiances I've seen. I thought it was great as did 80% of critics, but the audiance reviews were only about 40% positive (all stats from Rotten Tomatoes). In addition all the feedback I've got from people on boards has been negative. I haven't been at odds with so many people since I came out as a fan of The Cable Guy.

Also, despite watching the trailer about 10 times I failed to realise the awesomeness of the cast- Charlize Theron, Michael Fassbinder, Guy Pearce, Idris Elba, Noomi Rapace (the original Girl with the Dragon Tattoo). Love to see a horror franchise getting a real reboot with a top notch cast. Plus it returns the whole thing to a certain standard allowing me to mentally ditch the AVP films as high budget fanfic and not part of the ongoing canon. If I worked at that studio I'd never EVER allow the Alien films to be put in a boxed set with the AVP films. I'd be unhappy letting Resurrection in as it is.

Haywire's got one of the oddest divides between critics and audiances I've seen. I thought it was great as did 80% of critics, but the audiance reviews were only about 40% positive (all stats from Rotten Tomatoes). In addition all the feedback I've got from people on boards has been negative. I haven't been at odds with so many people since I came out as a fan of The Cable Guy.

Also, despite watching the trailer about 10 times I failed to realise the awesomeness of the cast- Charlize Theron, Michael Fassbinder, Guy Pearce, Idris Elba, Noomi Rapace (the original Girl with the Dragon Tattoo). Love to see a horror franchise getting a real reboot with a top notch cast. Plus it returns the whole thing to a certain standard allowing me to mentally ditch the AVP films as high budget fanfic and not part of the ongoing canon. If I worked at that studio I'd never EVER allow the Alien films to be put in a boxed set with the AVP films. I'd be unhappy letting Resurrection in as it is.

Resurrection could have been fantastic. Then Winona Ryder was cast.

In my last student house, my housemate had a boxset of all Alien & Predator released up until that point (this was before Predators came out). I'll save my thoughts on the two AvP movies until Dread Reel-lief gets round to them, but Resurrection aside, I really liked all the original films. Yes, including Alien 3 and Predator 2. The Alien series was helped that they all had Director's cut/workprint versions included, so it helped me gain more of an appreciation for Alien 3.