Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have slight problems with this. First off, if you do it all Chronologically, then the book ends from Captain America are the last thing you see. Not only that but we're talking the directorial work of five different people being smushed together. While there should be little crossover in case of a scene from Hulk being in the middle of Thor, the sound cues are still not going to match. As well, you have the mood whiplash of Cap making a noble sacrifice going directly into AC/DC. Then there's the problem of Hugh Hefner being a WW2 general who drinks irradiated soda then can't get a hammer out of the ground with his truck.

I have slight problems with this. First off, if you do it all Chronologically, then the book ends from Captain America are the last thing you see. Not only that but we're talking the directorial work of five different people being smushed together. While there should be little crossover in case of a scene from Hulk being in the middle of Thor, the sound cues are still not going to match. As well, you have the mood whiplash of Cap making a noble sacrifice going directly into AC/DC. Then there's the problem of Hugh Hefner being a WW2 general who drinks irradiated soda then can't get a hammer out of the ground with his truck.

I'll be watching this this weekend, and will let you all know how the transitions work out. I flipped through it briefly last night, and it didn't seem too abrupt.

I couldn't wait, so I'm about halfway through it. It really doesn't start switching around until Iron Man 2/Incredible Hulk. I love how it goes from the press conference at the end of Iron Man, to it being on the tv at the beginning of Iron Man 2 with the Russian guy watching it.

The editor said that drama wasn't his intent, just chronology. It's not like it's an actual 9-hour movie, just a cool project putting everything in chronological order.

Okay, finally watched through all nine hours of the chronological cut.

For the most part, the transitions are actually really well done. The only real abrupt cut is when you get the montage at the end of Captain America, after he's been iced over, abruptly cutting into TONY STARK, BITCHES at the start of IM. And there's pretty neat little bits, especially when the speech at the end of IM transitions into Vanko watching it at the start of IM2, and you cut from report footage of when he Hulks out at the college into it being the background on Nick Fury's screens at the end of IM2.

Incredible Hulk is the one that's woven throughout the entire cut the longest, it has a longer time period that it covers than I expected. For the most part, each movie is on it's own, except for cutting between Iron Man 2, Incredible Hulk, and Thor in the last few hours of the cut. It's nice to have an internal timeline to follow, too. Though, honestly, out of all of these, Incredible Hulk stands out the most in terms of not feeling like it belongs. Also, unexpectedly, the Agent Coulson shorts provide a good bridge at the end of the film as well.

Also, Will, re: some of your issues: surprisingly enough, the directorial moods don't stand out that much, except for the bits of Thor that are set in Asgard. The soundtracks, too, aren't that standout for the most part, so there's not too much abruptness with the sound cues. Also, the bookends for the films are actually

Odin kicking Jotunheim ass and talking to bitty Thor and Loki at the beginning, with Cap waking up in Times Square and the after credits bit after Thor with Eric possibly being possessed by Loki at the end.

This is worth a watch at least once before you go to see the Avengers (NEXT WEEK :D).

During IM2 Fury tells Stark that he has bigger problems than him in the South West. I assume he's talking about the hammer. Does this mean the chronology is messed up in this cut, or was Fury talking about something else?

edit: Just rewatched the part with Coulson telling Stark he's been reassigned to New Mexico. That means the Thor stuff is wrong because he went to New Mexico because of the Hammer.

• 2 weeks later...

So James Bond Jr is James Bond's nephew? So why is he Jr, unless James had a brother named James as well? But then, James didn't have any brothers or sisters, he's an only child and since the death of his parents an orphan. So we're pretty sure James Bond Jr is the kid of one of James' floozy's and he just never got up the courage to tell the kid.

• 2 weeks later...
Eric Allan Kramer might well be the greatest character actor in my lifetime. He has been in everything. He was so memorable in Robin Hood Men in Tights and American Wedding, and I didn't even put it together that he's the guy on the Disney Channel show Good Luck Charlie. His second job ever was playing Thor in The Incredible Hulk Returns. There is even a rumor that he filmed a cameo in Thor as one of the guys trying to pick up the hammer in the desert.