Microsoft X-Box vs Sega Dreamcast

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Microsoft X-Box

xbox.jpg

Initial release date: November 15, 2001

Initial price: $299

Lifespan: 2001-2006

Units sold: 24 million

Number of games released: Over 900

Notable games:

Halo series

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic series

Forza Motorsport

Ninja Gaiden

Panzer Dragoon Orta

Psychonauts

Elder Scrolls: Morrowind

Jade Empire

Other notes:

- Innovated online gaming with the invent of X-Box Live.

- First console with an internal hard drive.

- Large enough to kill a bear.

VS

Sega Dreamcast

sega-dreamcast.439314.jpg

Initial release date: November 27, 1998

Initial price: $199

Lifespan: 1998-2002

Units sold: 10.6 million

Number of games released: 688

Notable games:

Soul Calibur

2K sports series

Resident Evil: Code Veronica

Crazy Taxi

Marvel vs Capcom 2

Phantasy Star Online

Jet Grind Radio

Skies of Aradia

Shenmue

Sonic Adventure series

Space Channel 5

Other notes:

- First console to include a built-in modem.

- Pioneered online console gaming.

- Used add-ons like the VMU and voice recognition.

This one is hard. I loved both systems, but I had to go with the Dreamcast. The fact that I have one at work that still gets used says a lot. It also started online gaming for consoles. I also can't forget Shenmue. The greatest Japanese sailor hunting game ever.

Dreamcast. Easy. Proved consoles could do online gaming, and do it well. It had a ton of quality games come out in a very short lifespan, too. It could even play a number of Playstation games (through some disappointingly spotty emulation). I loved my Dreamcast though, so I'm admitting some bias here.

The XBox was interesting in a lot of ways, and its impact is still rippling the waters, with things like XBMC, but it was also an obvious freshman effort, even backed by deep pockets. And forget about the console, the controller was big enough to kill a bear.

Surprised by the lack of love for the xbox. Microsoft's debut console was a market game-changer, the only console to give Sony a run for its money at the time. It launch a lot of great franchises and became the baseline for that generations high end games when the PS2 was starting to look more than a little past it. Had more influence over the next generation than either of its competitors.

No contest. Maybe Dreamcast pioneered it, but XBox defined online console gaming. Absolutely no contest. Great games and the dust that Dreamcast was left in three months after its release pretty much sums up its importance to gaming.

No contest. Maybe Dreamcast pioneered it, but XBox defined online console gaming. Absolutely no contest. Great games and the dust that Dreamcast was left in three months after its release pretty much sums up its importance to gaming.

It wasn't three months. It was a over a year.

And it's sorta important considering the fact that the X-Box wouldn't have existed if not for the Dreamcast. And it had better games.

So yeah, not really "no contest".

This is the hardest of the batch because both are pretty evenly matched.

Both got killed by the PS2. Both were huge failures in Japan. The X-Box actually did even worse over there than the DC did, but it did a lot better in the states. Longevity isn't really an issue either since it's 4 years compared to 5 years.

Ultimately, games are the deciding factor and they were better on the Dreamcast.

The only genre the X-Box has DC beat is shooters.

Sports - DC has the 2K series. X-Box has whatever EA was putting out at the time.

Fighting - X-Box has Dead or Alive. That's about it. DC had a ton of Capcom fighters.

RPGs - X-Box had Morrowind and the Bioware stuff. DC had Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue, and Phantasy Star Online, which was a huge deal at the time.

Racing - X-Box had Forza. DC had Sega GT and Crazy Taxi.

I could keep going.

Microsoft would have never entered the video game console business if not for the Dreamcast, which used Windows CE. This is the very thing that gave them the idea and the death of the Dreamcast was the catalyst for the creation of the X-Box.

It's nothing like the NES leading to the SNES or any of that.

I said it was a hard match. It could go either way and the voting so far proves that.

They're pretty much even in every aspect except games, which was the deciding factor for the Dreamcast.

I was holding off on this specific match-up as I don't have very much experience with either. But after reading the above, I think the Xbox edges it. The Dreamcast was definitely influential for its online capability, but ultimately the Xbox stepped up to take advantage of where gaming was going in Nintendo's wake so as to match the PS2.

As much as I love the XBox, the Dreamcast did much of it better. True, XBox was the first big online console gaming experience but I still remember playing Phantasy Star Online with my friends in high school and that's what made realize, "Huh, this online gaming concept is kinda cool." The other huge drawback to the XBox for me still is that Halo was pretty much the only fun game to play online with it. One of the things that also made me love the Dreamcast was that my memory storage could be it's own little game like the Chaos in Sonic Adventure. It's kinda sad that Sega's best system was it's last.

I originally null voted, but I changed it to the Dreamcast. I have to believe Microsoft looked at the pros and cons of of Sega's online service, and built Xbox Live around it.

On top of that, it originally had the Soul Calibur and the Marvel vs. Capcom series.