Maleficent

Directed by two-time Oscar®-winning production designer Robert Stromberg ("Avatar," "Alice in Wonderland"), in his directorial debut, and produced by Joe Roth, "Maleficent" is written by Linda Woolverton ("The Lion King," "Beauty and the Beast") and executive produced by Angelina Jolie, Don Hahn, Matt Smith and Palak Patel. Co-starring in the film are Sharlto Copley ("District 9"), Elle Fanning ("Super 8"), Sam Riley ("On the Road"), Imelda Staunton ("Vera Drake"), Miranda Richardson ("The Hours"), Juno Temple ("Atonement") and Lesley Manville ("Secrets & Lies").

This is the untold story of Disney's most beloved villain, Maleficent, from the 1959 classic "Sleeping Beauty." The film reveals the events that hardened her heart and drove her to curse the baby, Aurora. Behind-the-scenes talent includes Academy Award®–winning cinematographer Dean Semler ("Dances with Wolves," "In the Land of Blood and Honey"), production designer Gary Freeman ("Saving Private Ryan," "The Bourne Supremacy"), two-time Oscar® nominated costume designer Anna B. Sheppard ("Schindler's List," "The Pianist") and seven-time Academy Award–winning makeup artist Rick Baker ("Planet of the Apes," "Men in Black").

Source.

Fist image of Jolie as Maleficent.

original.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just about everything in these trailers makes me go "YES!", but it does kinda bother me that Maleficent herself looks like an awesome cartoon character brought to life, while every other human looks "normal" and boring. I want them in those epically colorful outfits from the cartoon, dammit.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I finally saw this today. I liked it well enough (loved parts of it), but it's so incredibly different from the original movie (while still constantly mirroring it) that it comes off weird. They have to distort the original story so much in order to make Maleficent a "good" protagonist that every single other character is either evil or useless. The new story they tell is well-done to an extent, but it sure as hell isn't any version of Sleeping Beauty.

I really enjoyed it. I kinda liked how the forced romantic interest was a comic relief. I was against the idea of Angelina Jolie playing the titular character but was impressed with her performance (and also learned that she was the one paying for the movie). I also like the actor who played King Stefan.

He totally played the role of a villain and I was impressed how much he looked like a madman.

copley%2Bbay.jpg