Episode 530

RSS

Marvel's massive summer crossover, Avengers vs. X-Men, has reached its midpoint, and as Mike read through it he reached his breaking point. Listen in to hear Mike lose his mind over the poorly portrayed characters, nonsensical reason for the series to even exist, and the general stupidity of Cyclops. [ 50:35 || 24.8 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_530.mp3

I have something to say about the art-

avx.jpg

Romita Jr is working a hell of a schedule to do this, and he's often produced stuff I like in the past. That being said, some of this is awful, such as the above. The bandy legs, the weird proportions, the way they're stood, I honestly can't believe this made it into the issue. Wolverine looks like he has at best a passing relationship with his left leg. Plus I've no idea what position Iron Fist is in to make himself look like that. His head and the line of his neck places his spine at least a foot further back than his pelvis and legs would indicate.

I agree with Mike on a lot of his points, this has the feel of an event where if stuff is happening and you ask why, the answer would always be "because". Unlike most Marvel events this one feels like it's had close to no build outside of Hope's own story.

Oh, and I've got to talk about the bear thing. Wolverine is using an ENTIRE UNSKINNED POLAR BEAR as protection against the elements on his hike back to civilisation. According to wiki, adult bears can weigh between 770 to 1500lbs! Even if he's hollowed out the main bit (unknown/debatable based on the art) he's tied the arms onto his arms, they're definitly not skinned. He doesn't have super-strength, so how is he carrying this thing? So Wolverine thought, "Man I'm cold out here on this long trek, what I really need is a thousand pounds of dead weight?" What the hell?

Yeah, I think Wolverine is somehow able to move around fairly rapidly and silently despite carrying around a 300lb metal skeleton at all times. I can't tell if I'm defending the polar bear thing or not there.

This series sounds truly fucking terrible. It does sound like they came up with Avengers vs X-Men first and then filled in the story afterwards. It also sounds like the editor is probably using his blue pen quite a bit here, hence the odd characterisations from writers that should know better.

I'd never thought of Wolverine as having super-strength, but in the interest of fairness I explored James' notion through sacred texts of wikipedia

Due to his healing factor's constant regenerative qualities, he can push his muscles beyond the limits of the human body without injury.[80] This, coupled by the constant demand placed on his muscles by over one hundred pounds of adamantium,[81] grants him some degree of superhuman strength. Since the presence of the adamantium negates the natural structural limits of his bones, he can lift or move weight that would otherwise damage a human skeleton.[79] He has been depicted breaking steel chains,[82][83][84][85] lifting several men above his head with one arm and throwing them through a wall[80] and lifting Ursa Major (in grizzly bear form) over his head before tossing him across a room.[86]

Fine, he can lift a bear. I mean, I call bullshit, he hardly ever does much in the super-strength category, so much so that I've been watching and reading the character for nearly two decades and never twigged it. If he's that strong he should be able to practically toss cars.

It's the problem when you have fuzzily defined ideas and no thought to how they'd apply in the real world. Frankly, that is a problem when you try to make superhero stories realistic, they fall apart pretty quickly. Nolan's Batman films are about as close as you can get, but if Superman started flying through Gotham, all of that would go away.

Still would have been more practical to skin the bear rather than wear it whole. It'd be like me wanting to wear shoes and so deciding to strap some cows to my feet. I'd like to wear a belt too but bessie won't fit through the loops on my trousers.

:bowdown: