Episode 95

RSS

Upon meeting Captain Jack Harkness, The Doctor and Rose discover his con game has accidentally doomed Earth ("The Empty Child" / "The Doctor Dances"). And a face from The Doctor's recent past plagues him once more, just as she's about to unleash another destructive plot ("Boom Town"). <b>Note:</b> This episode was recorded before the passing of Mary Tamm. [ 1:48:44 || 52.5 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/biggerontheinside/episodes/bigger_095.mp3

It is seriously awesome, I gotta tell you. This month, the theater is showing The Kid With A Bike, Ong Bak, a "Classic Tough Guys series (including Get Carter, Point Blank, Shaft, Dirty Harry and The Getaway), The Exorcist, Iron Monkey, The Call of Cthulhu, Starship Troopers, Inception, Mullholland Drive and A Trip to the Moon.

This theater is the best thing ever.

I may be way to eager for it, but I'm kind of interested in seeing how Bad Wolf's pop culture references are handled.

Yes I know The Beatles got quoted in The Three Doctors, but from a song that was 6 years old during a time that was what, the 1980s? Easy to see The Beatles being getting referred to decades down the line if you are going to throw in an "I Am The Walrus" reference in 1973.

However, kind of cheeky to think Big Brother, Weakest Link and whatever that fashion show was would still be culturally relevant during that time frame, and it might be even more telling since it's been more than 5 years and I have no clue what that fashion show was supposed to be, the UK version of Queer Eye For The Straight Guy maybe?

And never mind that American audiences probably either never heard of or forgotten Anne Robinson already due to her American version of Weakest Link being short lived. Even though a quick look at Wiki says that they wrapped up production on the original back in March.

Heh, I guess this is probably what Anne said to NBC and American audiences: "Your common knowledge base frightens me as a citizen of the world. No wonder late night talk shows have made a cottege industry out of basic trivia segments. So, America, you ARE the Weakest Link! GOOD BYE!"

However, kind of cheeky to think Big Brother, Weakest Link and whatever that fashion show was would still be culturally relevant during that time frame, and it might be even more telling since it's been more than 5 years and I have no clue what that fashion show was supposed to be, the UK version of Queer Eye For The Straight Guy maybe?

It was called "What not to wear"

Just remembered. The whole TARDIS needing to be recharged at the Rift was mentioned once more. In 'Utopia', when they land just long enough for a quick recharge and for Jack to jump on the TARDIS and ride it all the way to the end of the universe.

And the TARDIS needing a new way to power itself does make sort of sense, because in the classic series it was apparently powered by a link to the central black hole back on Gallifrey or something. So when that went along with Gallifrey, it would need an alternate way of powering it.

Or something.

It's said later on that the TARDIS is powered by the universe itself, which sort of makes sense, considering that space itself has quite a lot of raw power behind it, including both gravity and universal expansion. If the TARDIS is able to bend spacetime, then it logically follows that it can also be powered by the same forces behind spacetime. A rift in space would be an epicenter for those types of forces, so refueling at a rift makes sense.