Episode 553

RSS

Easy. Donna Noble is the best modern companion. All others can stand in whatever order they like behind her.

Pfft, Donna's not even the best modern companion in her family. I like her and all, but she's no Wilf. And I think Rory's better as well.

Yes Will, my British fists were shaking at the sheer mention of that awful woman. Bloody Catwoman is a more sympathetic thief - she at least doesn't have a sodding flying bus.*

As for James "Craig" Corden, he's actually a brilliant actor. I think he was in Alan Bennett's 'The History Boys' around the same time as Matt Smith when it was in the West End. Either way, he's won awards for his acting. The problem is that he thinks he's funny and tries his hand at being jokey presenter or sketch comedian whenever he can. When he tries this, he always comes across as an utter gentleman's part. And he once had an awards show row with Sir Patrick Stewart, so y'know geeks, pick your side.

*I know Christian Honore will dig the semblance of that sentence!

Yes Will, my British fists were shaking at the sheer mention of that awful woman. Bloody Catwoman is a more sympathetic thief - she at least doesn't have a sodding flying bus.*

...I am confused. Are you alluding to the Knight Bus (the only vehicle in London that would make her more insufferable, were she to commandeer it) or the unmentionable nature of Lady D'Sucksass?

Good stuff guys. I think I like Rose more and Martha less than you guys, and some of the criticism of Amy you talk about seems to be surrounding stuff that happens to her and not the character (although the whole triangle thing was awkward for a while), but I largely agreed with your points.

...I am confused. Are you alluding to the Knight Bus (the only vehicle in London that would make her more insufferable, were she to commandeer it) or the unmentionable nature of Lady D'Sucksass?

I used the words "bloody" and "sodding".

Easy. Donna Noble is the best modern companion. All others can stand in whatever order they like behind her.

Pfft, Donna's not even the best modern companion in her family. I like her and all, but she's no Wilf. And I think Rory's better as well.

Oh don't get me wrong, both Wilf and Rory are utterly made of awesome, most especially Rory. If Donna hadn't been a companion, he would be #1 instead.

My reasons for Donna are very simple. It's not how awesomely, brilliantly bolshie she is, how she has courage for days, how she will stand up to anyone and call them on their bullshit - including the Doctor.

It's how she stood up and shouldered half the burden of killing the 20,000 people in Pompeii to save the world, just so the Doctor didn't have to carry that all on his own.

It's how, hours after meeting him, she saw right through his running-and-shouting, his madness. She saw right through all that and saw the real reason he travels with someone:

"Promise me one thing. find someone."

"I don't need anyone."

"Yes, you do. Because sometimes I think you need someone to stop you."

"....Yeah."

Other companions (not many) have got that, but not so soon after meeting him. For those reasons - and especially that last one - Donna is my #1 modern companion.

Ah, Mr. "I Don't Read Comics" has been perusing the every comic you've read this year thread.

I've gotta research Comic Reel-lief by some means!

Oh don't get me wrong, both Wilf and Rory are utterly made of awesome, most especially Rory. If Donna hadn't been a companion, he would be #1 instead.

My reasons for Donna are very simple. It's not how awesomely, brilliantly bolshie she is, how she has courage for days, how she will stand up to anyone and call them on their bullshit - including the Doctor.

It's how she stood up and shouldered half the burden of killing the 20,000 people in Pompeii to save the world, just so the Doctor didn't have to carry that all on his own.

It's how, hours after meeting him, she saw right through his running-and-shouting, his madness. She saw right through all that and saw the real reason he travels with someone:

"Promise me one thing. find someone."

"I don't need anyone."

"Yes, you do. Because sometimes I think you need someone to stop you."

"....Yeah."

Other companions (not many) have got that, but not so soon after meeting him. For those reasons - and especially that last one - Donna is my #1 modern companion.

I'll definitely say that Donna is a better realised character than Rose or Martha and that, admittedly, Wilf is a great supporting character bumped up to companion status for Ten's finale. Of the three proper RTD companions, she's the best character, whilst Martha's probably the most likeable/grounded and Rose....has the most written for her.

I still like Rory better though! :)