Tommy Tallarico to host video game music concert

Missy

New game-music concert to tour US

The tinny sounds of games may have driven parents crazy in the past, but scores since have certainly resonated with the current generation of gamers. Hot on the heels of the success of the Dear Friends: Music From Final Fantasy concerts comes a new orchestral tour featuring modern-day game music.

Tommy Tallarico and the Clear Channel Music Group have put together a new touring musical event titled Video Games Live. Starting with a July 6 concert at the Hollywood Bowl and continuing to venues such as Denver's Red Rocks and Boston's Tweeter Center, the tour will feature orchestras, choirs, and visuals such as laser shows and footage of games, to be played live by audience members.

Featured music will include songs from several generations. More-modern selections include pieces from Halo, Metal Gear Solid, Legend of Zelda, and Final Fantasy, while retro fans will recognize songs from Donkey Kong and Pong.

"Fans of video games are going to be amazed at what we have in store for them," said Tallarico, the show's maestro and composer for such games as Earthworm Jim and Advent Rising. "Never before has the music of video games been presented on this scale. Live entertainment is about to evolve."

"Video game music is not bleeps and bloops anymore. People are absolutely shocked when they hear this music," stated Jack Wall, cocreator of Video Games Live and composer for Jade Empire and Splinter Cell. "This music represents a true art form. The success of this tour will demonstrate to the world that video game music can command the attention of gamers and nongamers alike."

• 4 months later...
Video Games Live' Expands North American Tour 

Tuesday September 13, 2005 6:20am 

Los Angeles, Ca (AP) - Renowned video game composers, Tommy Tallarico (Advent Rising, Tony Hawk Pro Skater, Earthworm Jim) and Jack Wall (Jade Empire, Myst III: Exile, Splinter Cell), and Clear Channel Music Group Tuesday announced that the nationwide Video Games Live tour has been expanded after the huge success of the concert series' debut at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles on July 6, 2005.

Co-executive produced by Tallarico's and Wall's Mystical Stone Entertainment LLC, and Clear Channel Music Group, Video Games Live features music from the world's most popular video games performed by top orchestras and choirs across North America, combined with explosive video segments from each of the games, lasers and lights to create an exceptional, immersive entertainment experience.

The Hollywood Bowl debut of Video Games Live on July 6th was attended by over 10,000 people of all ages, including renowned game designers and composers from all over the world. The internationally distinguished LA Philharmonic, along with soloists including guitarist Steve Vai, performed music from some of the world's most beloved games.

The tour will kick off on October 29, in Seattle, Washington at the Paramount Theatre. Additional tour dates and cities have been added, including New York, San Francisco, San Jose, Washington, DC, Dallas, Philadelphia, Nashville, Chicago and Toronto, increasing the total number of stops on the tour from 19 to 25.

"The triumphant show at the Hollywood Bowl established without a doubt that the demand for this tour is huge," said Brad Wavra, Touring Vice President for Clear Channel Music Group. "Clear Channel is committed to Video Games Live, and wants to be certain the show offers as many dates as possible to reach the broadest possible audience in North America."

Video Games Live features music from some of the world's most popular games, including Mario, Zelda®, Halo®, Metal Gear Solid®, Warcraft®, Myst®, Castlevania®, Medal of Honor, Sonic, Tron©, Tomb Raider®, Advent Rising, Headhunter, Beyond Good & Evil, Splinter Cell®, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six®, EverQuest® II, Kingdom Hearts, God of War and a classic arcade game medley featuring games from Pong® to Donkey Kong®.

"We're excited to add more dates and new cities to the tour roster," said Wall. "The Hollywood Bowl show was such a great success and we want to bring that to as many people as possible."

Tickets for the new tour dates can be purchased at www.ticketmaster.com or through the newly designed and updated www.videogameslive.com. Tickets previously purchased for rescheduled dates can be returned to the point of purchase for refund.

A trailer previewing the Video Games Live experience is available at www.videogameslive.com.

"Video Games Live is a highly visual experience," remarked Tallarico. "Due to the new winter schedule we'll be moving the show to indoor venues, where we have 100% control over the environment. Although the show is just as amazing in outdoor facilities, the indoor locations will actually allow us more manipulation of visual elements such as lasers, video, fog and lighting as well as the audio acoustics."

Video Games Live North American Tour 2005

Date City Venue, On-Sale

Sat., Oct. 29 Seattle, Wash. Paramount Theatre, Sept. 17

Sun., Oct. 30 Vancouver, BC Queen Elizabeth Theatre, Sept. 15

Tues., Nov.1 Denver, Colo. Paramount Theatre, Now

Thurs., Nov. 3 Phoenix, Ariz. Dodge Theatre, Sept. 17

Fri., Nov. 4 San Diego, Calif. San Diego Civic Theatre, Now

Sat., Nov. 5 San Jose, Calif. San Jose Civic Auditorium, Sept. 18

Sun., Nov. 6 San Francisco, Nob Hill Masonic, Sept. 18

Weds., Nov. 9 Kansas City, Mo. Midland Theatre, TBA

Thurs., Nov. 10 St. Louis, Mo. The Pageant, TBA

Fri., Nov. 11 Minneapolis, Minn. Orpheum Theatre, Sept. 17

Sat., Nov. 12 Chicago, Ill. Chicago Theatre, TBA

Sun., Nov. 13 Columbus, Ohio Palace Theatre, TBA

Mon., Nov. 14 Detroit, Mich. Opera House, TBA

Tues., Nov. 15 Toronto, Ontario Massey Hall, Sept. 16

Thurs., Nov. 17 Boston, Mass. Orpheum Theatre, TBA

Fri., Nov. 18 Wallingford, Conn. Chevrolet Theatre, TBA

Sat., Nov. 19 Washington, D.C. DAR Constitution Hall, TBA

Mon., Nov. 21 New York, N.Y. Beacon Theatre, TBA

Weds., Nov. 23 Philadelphia, Pa. Verizon Hall at Academy of Music, TBA

Fri., Nov. 25 Cinncinnati, Ohio Taft Theatre, TBA

Sat., Nov. 26 Cleveland, Ohio Palace Theatre, TBA

Mon., Nov. 28 Nashville, Tenn. Ryman Auditorium, TBA

Thurs., Dec. 1 Austin, Texas Bass Concert Hall, TBA

Fri., Dec. 2 Dallas, Texas Nokia Theatre at Grand Prairie, TBA

Sat., Dec. 3 San Antonio, Texas Laurie Auditorium, TBA

I've already got a hold of tickets for the Columbus show and am psyched for this. Being a musical person, sound in the game has always been one of the most important aspects in the making of an awesome game. One of the reasons Ace Combat, Halo, and Final Fantasy, are some of my favorites of all time, not only because of their brilliant gameplay, but also for their killer soundtrack. Hell, I'm listening to my "Final Halo Aces" mix CD right now.

Be they memorable little diddys like those of Mario and alot of the older games, or full-blown orchestrated pieces, I don't care, as long as they're good. This concert should be awesome. Anyone else thinking of going?

This show is going to be sweet. Me and my friends got fourth row center aisle tickets down on the floor. Besides being great seats, we have a chance of being picked to go up and play the games the orchastra is playing music from, like Halo.

On a side note, I was thinking of dressing up as the white pointer hand from Myst for the costume contest, then going around and hitting people on the head, looking for clues.

• 1 month later...

Look what I just got today via e-mail...

Hello, this is Ticketmaster Customer Service with an important alert for your upcoming event.  The Video Games Live Tour, scheduled at The Palace Theatre on Sunday, November 13th, 2005 has been cancelled.

FUUUUCKKKK!!!! :grumble: I'm quite miffed about this. I'll look deeper into why they would cancel, but it better be, like, half the orchestra died in a tragic minature golf accident or something of that sort. Gah!

:grumble: No wonder we got such good tickets

My friends and I were going to enter the costume contest, but now we just have a bunch of materials sitting around. This was going to be awsome, and now all we can do is hope they reschedule it for 2006 and keep a show in Columbus.

They went too fast. After getting something like 100,000 for the first show, they charged ahead and scheduled around thirty. And now there's two.