The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Would it be safe to assume the same policy on "The Waters of Mars" (No posting about it outside the thread, no use of quotes or images in signs, titles, or avatars) is also going apply to both parts of "The End of Time" until after the BBC America airing?

Nope, I'm going to spoil the shit out of this thing. You know what killed David Tennant? An Ennui Resonator, amplifying his natural background ennui to paralysing levels. Then the Daleks crushed him by dropping a genuine 1960's police box on his head. His remains were then hung by Tom Baker's scarf in public view as a warning to interfering do-gooders, and that's when he regenerates into the real 11th doctor, Bruce Forsyth.

From a Telegraph review(Going in spoilers, just in case):

The Master, played by John Simm, is back – dying and deadly, and harbouring his most outrageous scheme yet; Wilfred Mott (Bernard Cribbins) is being plagued by strange dreams and mysterious visitations; his granddaughter Donna (Catherine Tate) dares not remember her travels with the Doctor, or she'll die on the spot; and a mysterious Woman in White, played by the legendary Claire Bloom, brings ominous warnings of death and destruction to come. What a Christmas! Though whether there's a regeneration on its way, or whether we've got some final tricks up our sleeves, you'll just have to wait and see.

Wouldn't it be awesome if all the scenes of Matt Smith were some big hoax, he was just playing a companion and they've been keeping all the footage of Tennant super-secret?

From a Telegraph review(Going in spoilers, just in case):

The Master, played by John Simm, is back – dying and deadly, and harbouring his most outrageous scheme yet; Wilfred Mott (Bernard Cribbins) is being plagued by strange dreams and mysterious visitations; his granddaughter Donna (Catherine Tate) dares not remember her travels with the Doctor, or she'll die on the spot; and a mysterious Woman in White, played by the legendary Claire Bloom, brings ominous warnings of death and destruction to come. What a Christmas! Though whether there's a regeneration on its way, or whether we've got some final tricks up our sleeves, you'll just have to wait and see.

Wouldn't it be awesome if all the scenes of Matt Smith were some big hoax, he was just playing a companion and they've been keeping all the footage of Tennant super-secret?

Yes, yes it would be.

Erm, ok..... (not directed at suave)

WTF?!? I liked the very last part, Timothy Dalton love aside, but the whole world BECOMING The Master?!? I found the Obama inclusion cringeworthy enough, but it's just overkill to have him morph into John Simm. At this point Russell T. Davies can't go quick enough.

As a whole, there were good bits and bad ones. Didn't think much of Naismith & Daughter, Super-Master or the the shoe-horned in comedy of the other alien scientists, but the resurrection was interesting enough and Wilf was strong as always. And there's a cliffhanger over Donna obv.

Well, from what I watched, the last ten minutes, it was good.

To add to what I said:

I got bored part when I tuned in part of the way through, so changed the channel.

When I came back, it was the ending sequence:

Everyone turning into the Master, I found funny, like the master in the dress, giving himself the thumbs up of approval. That was funny. But Ian's right, the Barack Obama thing, was cringe worthy.

But it was the first part, it was just setting things up, it may have been dull, but it sets up part two to be action.

All in all, a bit of a letdown, just let the other specials since series four for me.

Finished it.

I kind of liked The Master's plan, turning all of humanity into himself and thereby perverting the human race that The Doctor is so fond of. Of course, he already did that in his first appearance in the new series, so Davies is kind of going back to the well on that one. The Time Lords returning though? Fucking awesome. I'm really excited to find out what's going on with that. For the most part though, I thought the episode was terrible. The first 25 minutes were especially groan worthy. Books of The Master? Potions of Life? Where the fuck did all that come from? And beyond that, it just plain sounds lame. And The Master spazzing out and jumping all over the place? What the fuck was all that about? Real shitty characterization. And what? Another pair of governmental figures with some kind of alien scheme? The one shining moment in a sea of mostly awful was the scene with Wilfred and The Doctor at the pub or whatever it was. That scene felt like an episode of Doctor Who. The rest of it up until the end? I don't know what it was, but it wasn't Doctor Who. Or, at least, a new episode of Doctor Who.

Finished it.

I kind of liked The Master's plan, turning all of humanity into himself and thereby perverting the human race that The Doctor is so fond of. Of course, he already did that in his first appearance in the new series, so Davies is kind of going back to the well on that one. The Time Lords returning though? Fucking awesome. I'm really excited to find out what's going on with that. For the most part though, I thought the episode was terrible. The first 25 minutes were especially groan worthy. Books of The Master? Potions of Life? Where the fuck did all that come from? And beyond that, it just plain sounds lame. And The Master spazzing out and jumping all over the place? What the fuck was all that about? Real shitty characterization. And what? Another pair of governmental figures with some kind of alien scheme? The one shining moment in a sea of mostly awful was the scene with Wilfred and The Doctor at the diner or whatever it was. That scene felt like an episode of Doctor Who. The rest of it up until the end? I don't know what it was, but it wasn't Doctor Who. Or, at least, a new episode of Doctor Who.

This. Every word of it.

I seriously want to know what the hell happened because while watching it, I couldn't believe this was "The End of Time." This was the first part of the Tenth Doctor's final adventure? Seriously? The episode felt like fan fiction, not the product of someone who had been showrunner for four years. It's not just that this episode was disappointing, it was like the Doctor Who train completely flew off the rails.

Didnt like the episode as has been mentioned there was alot of setup with not much else, now I know its a two parter and that the second part will most likely start with something huge and continue it for the whole epiosde but as a stand alone episode it wasnt the best at all

The first half or so of the episode was, frankly, dreadful. The Master's return by means of a secret coven of prison guards was ridiculous, as was Lucy Saxon's "I've had a cunning plan for just such an occasion" reveal. Then the Master runs around jumping like the Hulk and blasting people with Force lightning with no apparent explanation given.

Then, after the Doctor's chase of the Master is interrupted by a swarm of comedy pensioners, we get an absolutely AMAZING scene between David Tennant and Bernard Cribbins. Great, great stuff. Then the episode slides back into being fairly mediocre until the end, when we get not one but THREE cliffhangers, and I admit that although I knew they were coming back, I was all "OMG TIME LORDS SQUEEEEEEEE".

This is just part one of the story, but as a standalone episode it was very disappointing.

I'm falling behind. I've yet to watch anything past The Next Doctor.

Guess that gives me something to do on holiday.

What did you think of the two doctors?

It was alright. The performances were good but it's not something I'd watch again.