The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The BBC official site has confirmed the title of David Tennant's penultimate episode will be The End of Time Part One. It is the first time since the series returned that a story title has been split into two parts. Previous two-part stories have always had their own title. BBC Children in Need will feature an exclusive scene from the episode on Friday night, at some point between 8.00 and 8.30. The official site has a short audio clip from this scene here.

Note: That audio clip works in the UK only.

Children In Need promo.

Credit: Mylandro for finding this, even though he doesn't come here much.

it's also available on BBC America's site.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/123/doctor-who-video.jsp?bclid=26821308001&bctid=51597547001

edited to add....that and the trailer on BBCAmerica's site, also have the date of broadcast in the US...December 26th. Not sure if that's been confirmed before.

Very cool. Doctor 10 has clearly gone a little nuts over the idea that he's going to die, which is kind of cool. I mean we know that the Doctor has a selfish streak (his whole life is basically him indulging himself) but its rarely so prominent. The Ood with the brain parts on top of his skull is pretty cool too, although I'd like to see a basically identical race have a different power structure to all the usual races in who. He's a leader? Well stick an extra bit on his head or paint him a different colour, that'll work.

Though I'm glad to see they're continuing this "he's gone crazy" storyline, I almost wish they would have saved it for his final life. It would make more sense for the last Time Lord to refuse death if he was truly at its door. Then, after he died and regenerated one too many times, he would have to pay for everything he had done leading up to that extra regeneration.

So, I just watched Waters of Mars for the third time and I have to say that my opinions have developed every time I've watched it. Interestingly enough, one of my biggest criticisms the first time around was that essentially there was only one development in the episode that went beyond what we'd all seen months ago in trailers. I thought that spilling the beans on the core theme of the episode weakened it a bit. Going into it with full knowledge of the ending has actually strengthened it for me. While I still think that it's a case of a significant ending tied to a largely insignificant episode, the connections to The Fires of Pompeii really strengthen it, I think. I've also gained more appreciation for the far more restrained use of humour in this episode.

One the other hand, I thought the Children in Need teaser was rubbish.

BBC Press Office has released the program info for the 2 specials

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/tv/2009/wk51/bbc_one.shtml#bbc_one_doctorwho

PART 1

It's the Tenth Doctor's final journey – but his psychotic nemesis the Master has been reborn, on Christmas Eve. With both determined to cheat death, the battle ranges from the wastelands of London to the mysterious Immortality Gate, while the alien Ood warn of an even greater danger approaching, as a terrible shadow falls across the entire Universe.

David Tennant stars as the Tenth Doctor and guest stars include John Simm, Bernard Cribbins, Catherine Tate, Timothy Dalton, David Harewood and June Whitfield.

The End Of Time – Part One is written by Russell T Davies and directed by Euros Lyn. The producer is Tracie Simpson.

PART 2

The Doctor faces the end of his life as the Master's plans hurtle out of control. With the sound of drums growing louder, and an ancient trap closing around the Earth, the Doctor and Wilf must fight alone. But sacrifices must be made, and the deadly prophecy warns: "He will knock four times."

David Tennant stars as the Tenth Doctor and guest stars include John Simm, Bernard Cribbins, Catherine Tate, Timothy Dalton, David Harewood and June Whitfield.

The End Of Time – Part Two is written by Russell T Davies and directed by Euros Lyn. The producer is Tracie Simpson.

BBC Press Office has released the program info for the 2 specials

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/tv/2009/wk51/bbc_one.shtml#bbc_one_doctorwho

PART 1

It's the Tenth Doctor's final journey – but his psychotic nemesis the Master has been reborn, on Christmas Eve. With both determined to cheat death, the battle ranges from the wastelands of London to the mysterious Immortality Gate, while the alien Ood warn of an even greater danger approaching, as a terrible shadow falls across the entire Universe.

The End Of Time – Part One is written by Russell T Davies and directed by Euros Lyn. The producer is Tracie Simpson.

PART 2

The Doctor faces the end of his life as the Master's plans hurtle out of control. With the sound of drums growing louder, and an ancient trap closing around the Earth, the Doctor and Wilf must fight alone. But sacrifices must be made, and the deadly prophecy warns: "He will knock four times."

The End Of Time – Part Two is written by Russell T Davies and directed by Euros Lyn. The producer is Tracie Simpson.

REPEAT: Programme info. So if you REALLY don't want to know the vague plot outlines of each part, don't click the spoiler buttons.

(NB: I'm only re-iterating to make it clear, I'm not annoyed or anything for having read them).

Ahem.

Squeeeeeee

So, if I'm reading the BBC's website right, is part two more or less confirmed for week 52; i.e., on or about New Year's Day?

the 2 episodes could be on at anytime in those weeks (so anytime from 19th December to 1st January). So the latest it could be on is New Year's Day.

But I'd be prepared to bet my house that they'll be on Xmas Day and New Years Day....they're the 2 big days for the BBC (as an example, a couple of years ago the big shows over the festive period were the final 2 specials of the comedy "Vicar of Dibley", which were on Xmas Day and New Years Day).

From Bleeding Cool: Just who did Martha marry?

Just a tiny thing. But enough to inspire Doctor Who fanfic writers the world over. I understand from well-connected-fan-chatter combined with a little birdie at BBC America that in the end-of-year Doctor Who specials, and yes I am eeking this out a bit so that there are no spoilers for the front page of Bleeding Cool, Ive got in enough trouble for that before and I really dont want to be threatened by a sharpened sonic screwdriver again… okay is that it? I think thats it. Okay. Where were we?

Oh yes. Anyway, in Torchwood, we were told that Martha Jones was on her honeymoon. And most people presumed that she was hitched to Tom Milligan, the nurse from Last Of The Time Lords. Well, in the end of year Christmas Doctor Who specials I understand that we will learn that somewhere, somewhen, Martha Jones married… no not Nurse Tom, sorry people, but…

Mickey Smith, Rose Tylers ex.

Is this the first time one Doctor Who companion has officially got together with another (in series canon)? Yes, I think it is. There had been some chatter about this kind of thing back in the summer, but a lot of it was dismissed. Well, now it seems that bells are going to chime.

I can see that, I mean who else can you share stories about Daleks on those long winter nights?

The last time we saw her in Doctor Who was with Captain Jack, with Mickey racing to catch up with them. At the time Martha was intended to appear in the next Torchwood series, but the actress Freema Agyemans decision to jump to Law & Order: UK with ex-Torchwood producer Chris Chibnall scuppered that, with some series resulting rewrites (we got the joyous wonder of Children of Earth as a result though, so hey, no worries there)

And yes, that rending sound is a lot of fanfic writers ripping up their tomes in frustration and rage. Sorry guys. Oh and those with the Mickey/Martha slashfic? Ahead of your time, ladies and gentlemen, ahead of your…...