The Doctor Who thread

New trailer for "The Waters of Mars." If you're in the UK, it's also up on the BBC Website.

Looks like every other space station with alien possession episode of Who.

Also, slightly crappy quality version of the trailer for the final two specials from Comic-Con. It has spoilers so don't click if you want to be surprised.

Squee! Looks good, very appropriate for the end of Tennant.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Doctor Who has been awarded its second Guinness World Record, for Most successful sci-fi series. The award is based upon the show's perfomance in ratings, DVD and book sales, and downloading popularity.

The award was presented to Russell T. Davies by Guinness editor-in-chief Craig Glenday at the San-Diego ComicCon on Sunday. Glenday said: "It's the longest-running sci-fi show on TV. But that's not quite enough, it's too good a show to have a longest-running record. Based on things like CD sales, downloads, illegal downloads, we've realised that Doctor Who is the most successful sci-fi show on TV full stop."

The show's first record entry is for Longest running sci-fi series.

I love that illegal downloads are being taken into consideration. Sure, ratings and DVD sales are the most important numbers, but you can't overlook how often something is downloaded. By tracking those numbers the BBC can see just how hungry the non-UK market is for Doctor Who.

io9 has a summary of an interview with Russell Davies. There are Torchwood spoilers so be warned if you haven't seen Children of Earth yet in which case, it's 15 dollars on Amazon. Just saying.

That said, I don't mind his thinking about keeping the current format of Torchwood (five episode arcs rather than the monster-of-the-week.) It really helped keep the story focused and away from the possibility of another "Love and Monsters."

I personally don't completely mind Fear Her. It's an interesting premise, just not executed as well as it could have been. Love and Monsters, 42, and Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks are the only episodes from the new series I really either can't get into or are painful to me to watch. Love and Monsters has the problem of the ickiness of carrying on a relationship with a concrete block at the end and that's one of my lesser problems with it. 42 was rather boring and I had points in it where I was trying to figure out if I was supposed to want anyone to survive. The Dalek two-parter was painful because, well, the Cult of Skarro was a great idea when we were introduced to them in Army of Ghosts then it slides into... well... pig people, Broadway Singers, and "human" Daleks. The Daleks are supposed to be the Boogeyman, not mad scientists. That and for being practically Nazi's in their pursuit of purity, you'd think they would be more disgusted with their plan then they turn out to be. I could go on with more reasons for hating that episode but I doubt I need to.

My personal lowest point for the series is Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel. I hate every single thing about that two-parter. Soured me a bit to the cybermen too. It's only watching The Next Doctor recently that made me realise that it's the episode I hate and not the new Cybers. But yeah, for me that story is the epitome of the very weakest elements of the new series.

The new series seems to have a real problem with Daleks. I sometimes wonder if they've seen the classic Dalek stories at all. Still, I will give them one teeny piece of credit for Daleks in Manhattan; as bad as that story is, they were trying to show the Dalek's as scientists again. I miss the experimental Daleks of the olden days.

How come she dislikes that story?

She thinks that Sophia Myles isn't very good, she doesn't like the whole reversal of the mind reading thing, she thought that the kings speech at the end was weak, I'm sure she will elaborate in more detail as she intends to sign up to the forums herself.

She did like the clockwork robots and the horse though.

Hello! I thought I'd better come and account for myself :blush:

Actually, Mr M has pretty much covered what I dislike about the episode. The thing is, I think my response is proportionate to the general reception it has received. When I finished watching it when it first aired, I thought "Meh, that wasn't very good."

When I talked to people about it, both in RL and on the internet though, the response I saw was along the lines of "OMG it was the best episode EVER!" (this was before the wonderful Blink, Human Nature and Turn Left, of course). I took that as fan hyperbole, but then it started picking up awards and being hailed in the genre press, and I was completely confused. I just don't see what people think is so marvellous about it. In my view, it's a fairly average story with some really shonky moments: as Mr M said, I find the King's speech at the end not just weak, but lame. The first couple of times I saw the story, it made me laugh out loud. I'm not sure if that's down to the writing or the performance.

First, hello and welcome to the forums, la_jellybean! It's a pleasure to have you.

There are problems with "The Girl in the Fireplace" -- such as The Doctor falling in love with a woman over the course of a few hours, The Doctor riding the horse through the mirror, and the king is flat -- but for me it's a great introductory episode. It has power and passion, Tennant and Myles share a great chemistry, the science fiction is easy to grasp, there's a bit of a mystery, and the robots are very cool. If you sat someone down and made them watch "The Girl in the Fireplace" and "Blink" back-to-back, you'd have a new Who fan.

First, hello and welcome to the forums, la_jellybean! It's a pleasure to have you.

There are problems with "The Girl in the Fireplace" -- such as The Doctor falling in love with a woman over the course of a few hours, The Doctor riding the horse through the mirror, and the king is flat -- but for me it's a great introductory episode. It has power and passion, Tennant and Myles share a great chemistry, the science fiction is easy to grasp, there's a bit of a mystery, and the robots are very cool. If you sat someone down and made them watch "The Girl in the Fireplace" and "Blink" back-to-back, you'd have a new Who fan.

Didn't they get together after this episode, Tennant and the girl?

Didn't they get together after this episode, Tennant and the girl?

I think Tennant ran through most of the female guest stars on the show, so it possible.

"Love & Monsters" is brutal! It's right up there with "Fear Her" in terms of horribleness.

I disagree, too. I quite liked 'Love and Monsters', although it didn't entirely work. The main bits I liked were the two main characters in it. I even sniggered at the 'love life' gag at the end. Generally, I found it quite charming.

And I kind of fancy the girl that played Moaning Myrtle and the girlfriend in the episode. I have no idea why, but I do.

"Love & Monsters" is brutal! It's right up there with "Fear Her" in terms of horribleness.

I disagree, too. I quite liked 'Love and Monsters', although it didn't entirely work. The main bits I liked were the two main characters in it. I even sniggered at the 'love life' gag at the end. Generally, I found it quite charming.

And I kind of fancy the girl that played Moaning Myrtle and the girlfriend in the episode. I have no idea why, but I do.

She's generally good, I liked her in Taming of the Shrew and 24 Hour Party People. She's got the odd voice but she also has quite a range.