The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agreed, I mean

they just brought Davros back. Unless they create Daleks the size of Godzilla, anything they pull out of the hat so soon after the last series finale will seem ho hum.

For the first time though, it'll be in an episode written by Stephen Moffatt. This is reason to be excited again.

I just watched the Planet of the Dead easter episode, and well, am I the only one who hasn't really enjoyed either of the specials yet?

Also, not sure if i have done so yet, but I would like to retract my statement about Dr Who season 3.

The series as a whole does seem the weakest of the Tennant years, and i still don't like Martha, but then i thought of the episodes alone and not the series as a whole.

You have The christmas special(I'm counting as it's on the DVD) the episodes with the Doctor not knowing who he is, Blink and the Master episodes are all awesome.

So although looking at the series as a whole, i'm not a fan, but to take out certain episodes, it was a dam fine season.

You have The christmas special(I'm counting as it's on the DVD) the episodes with the Doctor not knowing who he is, Blink and the Master episodes are all awesome.

So although looking at the series as a whole, i'm not a fan, but to take out certain episodes, it was a dam fine season.

I always find it funny that some of the best episodes of a series might come from the worst seasons ("Hush" and "Once More With Feeling" from Buffy for example.) I will wholly agree though. Of the first half of season 3, only The Runaway Bride and The Shakespeare Code did I find all that enjoyable and the last one only because I'm a Shakespeare buff. Blink is one of my favorite episodes of the Doctor Who revival and I'll agree that Sally Sparrow should have become a companion.

Just announced: Special guests at this year's San Diego Comic-Con include new series creator Russell T. Davies and the show's lead actor, David Tennant. They will join former executive producer Julie Gardner and director Euros Lyn on a special panel on Saturday, 26 July, 10:00 am - 11:00 am.

Doctor Who spinoff Torchwood is also returning to Comic-Con, with star John Barrowman appearing on a panel also featuring Davies, Gardner and Lyn. Sharing space at that panel will be the new BBC America series, Being Human. Creator and writer Toby Whithouse plus lead actors Russell Tovey, Lenora Crichlow and Aidan Turner, talk about the inspiration for the show and what it's like to play three twenty-somethings with secret double-lives – as a werewolf, a vampire and a ghost.

Fans can visit the BBC America booth (#3629) to capture their own photograph alongside part of the Doctor Who set as well as purchase exclusive merchandise including David Tennant figures.

Also featured will be exclusive previews of the upcoming Doctor Who specials and the final episode of Torchwood: Children of Earth.

Sharing space at that panel will be the new BBC America series, Being Human. Creator and writer Toby Whithouse plus lead actors Russell Tovey, Lenora Crichlow and Aidan Turner, talk about the inspiration for the show and what it's like to play three twenty-somethings with secret double-lives – as a werewolf, a vampire and a ghost.

Oh wow, guys, you remember that TV series I was pushing REALLY heavy a little while ago that you all ignored? Guess you could have been ahead of the curve on this one, but y'know, it's fine. I'm not bitter or anything. Honest.

Go buy it. It's AWESOME.

• 2 weeks later...

It felt a lot like I thought Torchwood should have been all along. The three person team is a big plus, every formula-following investigation show should start out with a limited cast, Torchwood threw a team of 5 people plus supporting cast in the first episode and didn't tell us much about any of them. Buffy's a good example of how to do it, they had the one lead, a couple of uncomplicated friends with distinct likeable personalities and no crazy back history, a fully formed stuffy mentor and a mysterious handsome guy. They didn't all work together and there was very little we didn't know about any of them save Angel, and thats what set off his important role in the show. In the Angel show proper they kept the regular cast to three for a while before expanding in the second season. Torchwood was all sex and violence between people who I didn't care about because I didn't know who the hell they were.

The X-files and Dr Who do it right, a self-contained episodic mystery show needs to be driven by the mystery of the week. Leave as few questions as possible beyond that. Torchwood appears to be attempting to concentrate on the plot over its wacky characters a lot more in this run which can only be good.

Just watched Day two. I swear, it keeps getting better. I'm almost dreading watching the next three days because I just know they have to be disappointments considering how well things are going so far. You're really getting into things then BAM, "Love and Monsters" pops out of no where and drags the momentum that got built to shreds.

I also like the second episode, Torchwood is making a good case for me going back and watching season 2. I can't forgive their daft use of construction materials and equipment though. No concrete sets in the fashion they showed in so short a period, and the 13m CAT TH360B telehandler forklift would never be able to rip the entire block out in that fashion, and it certainly wouldn't lift it out to full extension as shown. The block they are showing was around 4 cubic metres of solid concrete, which would weight around 8-10 tonnes. The weight lifting limit of that machine is 3 tonnes at minimum distance, and only 1.4 at the length they showed. As a guy who has hired and driven these machines I was instantly taken out of the tension of the situation.

Honestly, I can buy a Tardis flying through the infinite reach of space, that's what it was designed for. I can't accept poor research into the capabilities of genuine machines. It completely robbed this episode of all realism. :P

Agreed.

Also, I bought Season 1 on saturday and finished it this evening. I really like how Eccleston did the 9th Doctor and I'm not sure if there's an episode in that series that I dislike. Next up will be Season 2, once I dredge up the funds (I have a degree course starting in a few months that I *should* be saving for, after all).