The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Girl in the Fireplace" is probably my third favorite of the new series History episodes (Shakespeare Code and The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances.) The music is some of my favorite of the new series and, yes, the Doctor does fall in love with the Madame de Pompadour a little too quickly but the look on his face at the end just gets across how alone the Doctor feels and it gets across what I truly feel to be the main theme of the Tenth Doctor: Loneliness, a man that keeps on running and every time he finds someone that he connects to, that he feels can lift the pain, time pulls them away from him.

BBC3 has been showing Series 1 again at the moment, I'm watching The Parting of Ways as I write this. I've got series 1 on DVD and watching it several thousand times since 2005 but it's nice to see it again. A pleasant reminder that Christopher Eccleston is in a class of his own. One of my favourite actors.

From Digital Spy:

Barrowman to meet 'Housewives' bosses

Saturday, August 1 2009, 7:43am EDT

By Daniel Kilkelly, Entertainment Reporter

Barrowman to meet 'Housewives' bosses

John Barrowman has revealed that he is in talks for a role in Desperate Housewives.

The Torchwood actor confirmed yesterday that he will soon jet off to the States for meetings with the ABC show's producers.

Speaking on Radio 1, he explained: "I'm off to Los Angeles on Sunday again. I probably shouldn't say this but I've got a meeting with the execs of Desperate Housewives.

"Can you believe it - I'm going to be a Desperate Housewife!"

Former EastEnders star Michelle Collins has also been in tentative negotiations for a part in Housewives in recent months.

Meanwhile, it was announced earlier this week that Jesse Metcalfe will be returning to his role of John Rowland in the new season.

Looking at this news, it pretty much makes it possible that if John gets the role, and it's as a series regular, our window on Torchwood Series Four might shrink. For that matter, it brings the possibility that Series Four might just be the Gwen Show. I'm not opposed to that but the idea of no Captain Jack is kinda depressing right now.

Without spoiling too much in regards to the third season, I like where they are. The next season could be much more grounded, especially now that all of their sci-fi gear is gone. It can be assumed Gwen doesn't know where the other Torchwood facilities are, so she'll have to rebuild the team and fight aliens with nothing more than her wits and terrestrial equipment.

What I'd also like to see is a series-long mystery that can only be solved by Gwen's new team working with (directly or otherwise) the Torchwood team of the late 19th / early 20th century. That way Jack can still be a character, but it's the Jack that was first recruited by Torchwood. Somehow Alice Guppy (the woman who killed the Blowfish alien) is the linchpin, so Gwen has to bring her out of cryostasis, leading to a butting of heads. Alice was very hard-nosed, whereas Gwen has a heart, so there's potential for great drama there.

I have to say, I'd be very interested to see Gwen build a new Torchwood team up on her own. For a season that could make an excellent springboard into the rest of the show. Frankly, I don't think Jack's coming back for some time and I don't know if he'll ever show up in Doctor Who again. I don't see how he could for both reasons within the show and outside it. For one, the BBC has had enough difficulties justifying including characters from a very adult show in a children's program. After Children of Earth, I think that obstacle could very well become insurmountable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Richard Curtis, the man behind some of the most successful British films and comedies, has agreed to write an episode of Doctor Who.

Speaking to the British Tabloid The Sun, Curtis said he has been asked to write for Matt Smith’s first series.

Spoiler:

He told the paper he couldn’t reveal much about the plot. but it would feature a famous historical character battling against a monster.

Curtis was the brains behind Four Weddings and a Funeral, which became the highest-grossing British film in cinema history at the time and for which he was Oscar nominated. On television, he has been responsible for the Blackadder series as well as The Vicar of Dibley. He is a BAFTA and Primetime Emmy winner.

BBC News has confirmed, via Curtis's agent, that the writer is working on a script for Doctor Who.

Just thought I'd mention that Little White Lies, a pretty cool UK film review magazine featured Carey Mulligan, aka Sally Sparrow as the cover story in an issue focussing on young upcoming stars in the UK film industry. They extensively covered her new film An Education. She also has roles coming up in Natalie Portman/Jake Gyllenhaal/Tobey Maguire feature Brothers and the sequel to Wall Street called Money Never Sleeps playing Michael Douglas's daughter. That film also has Shia LaBeouf, Josh Brolin, Susan Sarandon, and Frank Langella in supporting roles.

LWLies-shop-issue25.jpg

Richard Curtis, the man behind some of the most successful British films and comedies, has agreed to write an episode of Doctor Who.

Speaking to the British Tabloid The Sun, Curtis said he has been asked to write for Matt Smiths first series.

Spoiler:

He told the paper he couldnt reveal much about the plot. but it would feature a famous historical character battling against a monster.

Curtis was the brains behind Four Weddings and a Funeral, which became the highest-grossing British film in cinema history at the time and for which he was Oscar nominated. On television, he has been responsible for the Blackadder series as well as The Vicar of Dibley. He is a BAFTA and Primetime Emmy winner.

BBC News has confirmed, via Curtis's agent, that the writer is working on a script for Doctor Who.

Is it just me or is the Sun getting rather lazy.

If this is indeed true, saying that it has a historical figure fighting a monster just described just about ever Historical episode in the show's history since the Second Doctor.Least they could do is make up a lie about Matt Smith fighting Margaret Thatcher's army of Cybermen... oooh, that kinda sounds good.

• 3 weeks later...

The guest list for the 2009 Chicago TARDIS convention is shaping up nicely:

Actors

Paul McGann (Eighth Doctor)

Daphne Ashbrook (Dr. Grace Holloway, from the Doctor Who movie)

Yee Jee Tso (Chang Lee, from the Doctor Who movie)

Nicholas Briggs (modern Dalek and Cybermen voices)

India Fisher (Charley Pollard, companion in Big Finish dramas)

And just added... Toshiko Sato herself, Naoko Mori!

Crew

Phil Collinson (producer)

Gary Russell (writer)

Robert Shearman (writer)

Jason Haigh-Ellery (producer of Big Finish dramas)

Tony Lee (Doctor Who comic book writer)

Misc.

Dr. Arnold T. Blumberg (Howe's Trancendental Toybox; Short Trips contributor)

Lars Pearson and Christa Dickson (Mad Norwegian Press)

• 2 weeks later...