2 more Riddick movies planned

JackFetch

Four years after his character Richard B. Riddick last graced the silver screen, and some years after telling reporters that there would be another Riddick film in his future, Vin Diesel told MTV News that he no longer thinks there will one day be a Riddick sequel.

He now thinks there will be two.

“David Twowy right now is writing the scripts. The only question is whether we take a page from the ‘Lord of the Rings’ guys and try to shoot the two chapters at the same time. There are two more in mind,” he said of Riddick, the Furyan warrior first introduced in the 2000 film “Pitch Black.” “‘The Chronicles of Riddick’ was presented as a three part trilogy that would answer ‘Pitch Black’ in the same way that ‘Lord of the Rings’ answered ‘The Hobbit.’”

Those are lofty goals indeed for a movie that was very poorly received when it opened in 2004, and had a mediocre performance at the domestic box-office (where it made just $57 million). Diesel, though, is undaunted, insisting that the long space between sequels has nothing to do with convincing others to get on board, and everything to do with wanting to get it right. (To be fair, “Riddick” performed well overseas, and also spawned a best-selling video game which many considered to be better than the movie.)

“Everyone knows I love the Riddick character and I’m always working on it,” Diesel asserted. “It just takes five years to make another one because David Twohy and I are so precious about it.”

So where will Riddick go next? After taking the throne of the Necromonger King at the end of the last chapter, is there any doubt?

“Sooner or later we all end up in the Underverse,” he said of where we can expect the next chapter to take place, adding in a Riddick-like voice, “Sooner or later.”

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/08/25/vin-d...iddick-sequels/

I loved the last movie. I'm jazzed that they are planning more.

• 1 year later...
Vin Diesel has announced on his Facebook page that location scouting has already begun in New Zealand for a new installment in the "Chronicles of Riddick" franchise, for which director David Twohy has finished the script.

In August, Twohy talked to ShockTillYouDrop.com about the project. "I've sketched out two ideas for the next installment," he said. "Vin and I have decided on one approach of those two, and there's some interest at the studio level but it would be as a PG-13 film, and we don't want to do that anymore. That's one of the concessions we thought we made with 'Riddick' that we shouldn't have made. We also spent too much money and we were too ambitions, so yes, if we do go back to a third one, it will be focused again, hopefully again the same way that 'Pitch Black' was, and we'll spend less money doing it. We're just trying to figure out how much less we can do it for, because I don't think Vin is going to work for scale again."

He added that "the third movie would be more modestly-scaled and it would probably feel more like 'Pitch Black' then 'Chronicles.'"

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=61325

• 5 months later...

The plot for the next movie:

Betrayed by his own kind and left for dead on a desolate planet, Riddick (Diesel) fights for survival against alien predators and becomes more powerful and dangerous than ever before. Soon bounty hunters from throughout the galaxy descend on Riddick only to find themselves pawns in his greater scheme for revenge. With his enemies right where he wants them, Riddick unleashes a vicious attack of vengeance before returning to his home planet of Furya to save it from destruction.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45019

Sounds like the last one to me.

The plot for the next movie:

Betrayed by his own kind and left for dead on a desolate planet, Riddick (Diesel) fights for survival against alien predators and becomes more powerful and dangerous than ever before. Soon bounty hunters from throughout the galaxy descend on Riddick only to find themselves pawns in his greater scheme for revenge. With his enemies right where he wants them, Riddick unleashes a vicious attack of vengeance before returning to his home planet of Furya to save it from destruction.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45019

Sounds like the last one to me.

Furya?

Sounds like fan-fiction. What with Vin Diesel involved, may be a possibility.

• 1 year later...

Katee Sackhoff To Co-Star In ‘Riddick’

By NELLIE ANDREEVA | Monday January 9, 2012 @ 3:00pm PST

EXCLUSIVE: Katee Sackhoff is in final negotiations to play the female lead opposite Vin Diesel in the untitled Chronicles Of Riddick sequel. In the movie, written and directed by David Twohy, the Battlestar Galactica alumna will play Dahl, a Nordic mercenary tracking Riddick (Diesel). Production on the sequel resumed recently in Montreal after a two-month break due to financing issues. Sackhoff, who had long been rumored for the choice for the role, will segue from Riddick to her new A&E series Longmire. The actress, who co-starred on the final season of 24 and did an arc on CSI, has movies Haunting In Georgia and Evil Sexy Genius coming out later this year. She is with Gersh and Bleu.

Source.

Okay Universal, you have my attention.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Universal Pictures, One Race Films and Radar Pictures announced today that principal photography has begun on the action-driven, sci-fi thriller Riddick. The shoot will take place in Montreal.

The latest chapter of the groundbreaking saga that began with 2000's hit sci-fi film Pitch Black and 2004's The Chronicles of Riddick reunites writer/director David Twohy (A Perfect Getaway, The Fugitive) and star Vin Diesel (the Fast and Furious franchise, xXx). Diesel reprises his role as the antihero Riddick, a dangerous, escaped convict wanted by every bounty hunter in the known galaxy.

The infamous Riddick has been left for dead on a sun-scorched planet that appears to be lifeless. Soon, however, he finds himself fighting for survival against alien predators more lethal than any human he's encountered. The only way off is for Riddick to activate an emergency beacon and alert mercenaries who rapidly descend to the planet in search of their bounty.

The first ship to arrive carries a new breed of merc, more lethal and violent, while the second is captained by a man whose pursuit of Riddick is more personal. With time running out and a storm on the horizon that no one could survive, his hunters won't leave the planet without Riddick's head as their trophy.

Riddick also sees the return of Karl Urban (Star Trek, The Bourne Supremacy) as Vaako and introduces to the series Jordi Molla (Bad Boys II, Colombiana) as Santana, the arrogant captain of the mercenary ship; Matt Nable (Killer Elite) as Boss Johns, a man looking for answers; Katee Sackhoff (TV's Battlestar Galactica) as the Nordic mercenary Dahl; and Bokeem Woodbine (upcoming Total Recall) as bounty hunter Moss. Rounding out the cast are Dave Bautista (The Scorpion King 3: Battle for Redemption), Conrad Pla (Immortals), Raoul Trujillo (Apocalypto), Nolan Funk (TV's Aliens in America) and two-time Grammy Award-nominated singer Keri Hilson.

The film is produced by Vin Diesel (upcoming Fast & Furious 6, Fast Five) and executive produced by Samantha Vincent (Fast Five, Fast & Furious) for One Race Films. Ted Field (The Last Samurai, Pitch Black) produces for Radar Pictures, while Mike Drake (Dream House, A Nightmare on Elm Street) also executive produces.

Twohy is joined on the film by a talented behind-the-scenes team, including director of photography David Eggby (Pitch Black, Mad Max), production designer Joseph Nemec III (A Perfect Getaway, The Hills Have Eyes, Terminator 2: Judgment Day) and editor Tracy Hall (Limitless, A Perfect Getaway, The Flock).

The Riddick franchise has also produced two popular video games: The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena and The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. As well, Universal Studios Home Entertainment has released the anime DVD The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury.

Riddick, which is shooting in Montreal, Canada, is a One Race Films production. The film will be released by Universal Pictures in the U.S., and Lionsgate is handling international sales.

I thought he became emperor at the end of the last movie?

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...