The minor annoyances thread

Missy

I can't write. This is minor-ly annoying.

Fix it? Please?

Thy will be done.

Dog food spilled on the floor and no dog around to clean it up. Now, write!

Dread, as a fellow writer, you should know as well as anyone that "man alone in a room" stories are only second on the List of Shitty Stories to "inanimate objects alone in a room" stories.

I have a story. I just need to fucking write it but I can't because it's not really "my" story but it's not fiction either though I'm trying to make it mine and make it more fictional, but still, it's hard. Also I just wrote SO MUCH last semester and I feel like a shit for not working on my thesis while on break and instead working on this other thing that I can't make myself work on. Also I have a third thing but my teacher told me not to work on it because my thesis is better, so "better" that he said, "You need to write this book." I'm still not sure how he meant that, like I need to stop starting other things, or that this is the book I'm destined to write, or only my unique voice/style will work for it, or blah blah blah who knows? I CERTAINLY DON'T!

My thesis is a coming of age story that doesn't have an ending yet.

The other thing I started, the thing my teacher told me to stop and go back to later, is also a coming of age story, but the main character is a guy. It also has a dead dad in it. My thesis has that, too. But it has a "mystery" in it. There's no mystery in my thesis. Shit's just fucked up.

The thing I'm working on now is also a coming of age story, and also has a male protagonist. But it's different. Also there's a suicide. And drugs. And without saying anything else about it, it sounds about as cliche as everything else, no?

This is why Earth-2 needs a writers' group. So we can kick each other in the ass and say "Stop complaining and write!" or pat each other on the back or root each other on or buy each other booze.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why Earth-2 needs a writers' group. So we can kick each other in the ass and say "Stop complaining and write!" or pat each other on the back or root each other on or buy each other booze.

Spectacular.

Seriously. With critique groups and info about submission drives and commiserating.

Though, I'm sure it would end up being genre-heavy, and I'm not a genre writer, so then I'd be back at square one.

Even so.

Managed to piss off my roommate by not buggering off for the night. He brought a date home and asked if I would clear out, to which I was fine with. But after hanging out with the 1 friend I found that was not busy and grabbing some food, I had nothing left to do so I came home. At which point I say hello and promptly retire to my room. A room with no tv, no books and a computer that has one massively fucked up screen. I have even had my headphones in as to not play music too loud.

And yet I get a text from my roommate saying that ruined everything. Yeah. He told me to bugger off til 8ish. I told him to turn the porch light on if really needed to stay gone. I came home at 7:45 and the porch light was off.

And as I typed the above, I was supposed to go to a movie according to his last text. I just looked and the only thing I could have watched was New Moon unless I sat outside the movie theatre until 10.

And the reason I am not mad? He did the same thing to me a while back. Kinda annoying being trapped in a small room, but payback is great.

Side mental note: Grab a book or two and keep them in my room.

Spectacular.

Seriously. With critique groups and info about submission drives and commiserating.

Though, I'm sure it would end up being genre-heavy, and I'm not a genre writer, so then I'd be back at square one.

Even so.

I tend not to write genre. I used to but fell out of the habit after half my writing professors added "No Genre Work" to the syllabus. My protagonists also tend to be unlikeable or sociopaths but oh well, it happens. Then again, not every story has to have a happy ending.

Spectacular.

Even so.

I tend not to write genre. I used to but fell out of the habit after half my writing professors added "No Genre Work" to the syllabus. My protagonists also tend to be unlikeable or sociopaths but oh well, it happens. Then again, not every story has to have a happy ending.

Your characters must be at least a little likable, or no one would read your work. So I doubt they are entirely unlikable.

Program? For a writing class?

Does your school not believe in pens and paper and Word?

It's some kind of interactive, online text that requires an access code and will self-distruct in six months. Apparently it's difficult to navigate and use to complete assignments effectively.

It's some kind of interactive, online text that requires an access code and will self-distruct in six months. Apparently it's difficult to navigate and use to complete assignments effectively.

Classy. What school do you go to? And is this an online course you're taking, or is this supposed to supplement an actual lecture course?

Working in a campus Bookstore, I hate it when they make us sell those things. It feels like a rip to the student and the Professor should have done the research before deciding to force it upon students. We offer digital versions of textbooks in the store as well as the limited online versions for a couple books as well in addition to the paper versions and the paper versions always sell better.