The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

The difference is that the kid in 1985 isn't going to save the world by throwing his middle finger into the air and smacking people around. If anything, and knowing how Millar likes to do things, there's no guaranteeing that 1985 is even going to have a happy ending, but if it does, it'll be because of something clever that the kid pulls. It's not going to have him dropkick MODOK in the face or anything.

It really comes across like a "chosen one" kind of thing which is even really worse if you think about it. Kick Ass at least has the idea behind it that one person can make a difference because of the choices they make versus one person can make a difference because they exist.

Plus, I would buy a comic featuring a twelve-year-old kicking MODOK in the face.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've just started getting into Preacher (bought the whole series online from E-bay for a pretty good price). I've never read it before but I know it's pretty lauded here and at other places.

I finished volume 1 Preacher: Gone to Texas and to be honest, I was a little bit let down. While it was good, that volume didn't live up to the hype that I heard. As an introduction to the story, the characters, and the world of Preacher it was serviceable. The exposition in the first couple of issues, felt obligatory and something that just needed to be done. I'm not sure what I feel about the characters. I can't say that I "like" any of them but they're all pretty interesting with Jesse (the title character) leading the pack in terms of interest and even "likability" in the character. I love how Ennis set up the story/plotting, especially the first issue, with the double meaning of "searching for God" and how it's being used literally but you don't really know it until Issue 5 or so. The second issue begins in a recap and just continues from that position. It's can be confusing if not done, but Ennis weaves it together pretty seamlessly.

Overall it was good but not great. From what I've read from Vol 2, it picks up in a big way.

JLA: Salvation Run - This was okay. The random senseless gore was kind of a shock, and I couldn't tell you who half the people in this were, but it was a cool concept.

Ending was rather abrupt, and I kept thinking through the whole thing, they had Captain Cold and Mr. Freeze on different sides and didn't have them fight? What a waste.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol 1 by Alan Moore

This was pretty sweet. I felt that Fables kind of took the idea from here (I'm not sure if this was done before Moore), but League was actually good and didn't suck. I'm not familiar with everybody in League and Moore works with the reader in that respect. I had fun reading this, Moore does excellent with the mood and the time-frame, I felt. He envelops the reader into the world where these literary characters come to life, I never got that and always felt a disconnect from Fables.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was published several years before Fables.

Ha, yeah I read it over, what I mean to say was I knew that League was done before Fables, but I wasn't sure if Moore was the first person to use characters from classic literature and jam them together in a comic book.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol 1 by Alan Moore

This was pretty sweet. I felt that Fables kind of took the idea from here (I'm not sure if this was done before Moore), but League was actually good and didn't suck. I'm not familiar with everybody in League and Moore works with the reader in that respect. I had fun reading this, Moore does excellent with the mood and the time-frame, I felt. He envelops the reader into the world where these literary characters come to life, I never got that and always felt a disconnect from Fables.

I really like these books, especially the second volume. It adds an extra dimension from classic literature that really elevated the whole thing, I'm looking to pick up the Black Dossier sometime soon.

Its not up to Fables, but its very good.

I'm a bigger fan of Kingdom Come personally. Marvels is an incredible tribute to that universes history in New York but the themes of moral judgment and loss throughout Kingdom Come speak volumes, its lent a lot of power to the current JSA arc. The confrontation of Magog in particular is a favorite scene that rivals almost anything in comics.

I've read Marvels, and it's not even close. Kingdom Come is just this incredible epic that really touches on what it is to be man. Just everything clicked in this story, the art, the imagery, the writing, all of it.

The splash page of Superman descending back into the world, just contemptuous toward those below him, sent chills down my spine.

Wow.

Marvels and Kingdom Come are two very different stories trying to do two very different things. It's almost unfair to compare them. Marvels is a loving tribute to the Silver Age; KC is a reaction against 90s "grim'n'gritty". They're very different in tone and style, and if I'm in the mood to read one, I'm not in the mood to read the other.

BTW: Magog is Cable, essentially, right?

Yeah, thats the sort of era of heroes Magog represents. He's not a literal equivalent but clearly his type of gun toting hero is the sort that needs some training from the real deal, although coming from a war torn dystopian future Cable doesn't quite represent the direct challenge that Magog and his ilk do. Basically they kill because its easy. Frank Castle can get away with it because he doesn't think he's a hero, these freaks are trying to be both.