Episode 462

RSS

Today, Earth-2.net: The Show is proud to launch a brand new, multipart segment by newcomers Christian Honore and Chris Samson: PotterWatch! Kicking things off is their review of the very first Harry Potter movie: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone / Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone! [ 2:41:10 || 74.1 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_462.mp3

• 5 weeks later...

I actually couldn't make it through the whole podcast. I love Harry Potter and I love the idea you have here, but please try to speed things up. You don't need to quote every single line from the film — everyone's who's listening has seen the movie a hundred times already. But anyway, please keep it up! I'm looking forward to Chamber of Secrets!

Could the segment have been sped up a little? Sure. But it was their first time out, so they'll find they're stride soon enough.

As for your other comment, I've never seen any of the Harry Potter movies, nor have I read the books, so you can't cast a net like that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In the episode you said Rupert Grint is the best out of the three leads, and has the most life. I completely disagree, I think especially as the films go on he is the poorest out of the three. I noticed in the Deathly Hallows that he had by far the least dialogue and it just doesn't seem like he's trying to be Ron as much as the other two leads are trying to play their characters.

I've never seen any of the Harry Potter movies, nor have I read the books, so you can't cast a net like that.

See now, I think it's a major disservice to everyone who hasn't read the books or seen the movies to give a full-on minute-by-minute, point-by-point summary. It drags pretty badly for everyone who has seen the movies, and it's only spoiling the story for the people who are unaware. It would be better just to start off with a disclaimer saying that it's best to actually read/watch the stories first.

In the episode you said Rupert Grint is the best out of the three leads, and has the most life. I completely disagree, I think especially as the films go on he is the poorest out of the three. I noticed in the Deathly Hallows that he had by far the least dialogue and it just doesn't seem like he's trying to be Ron as much as the other two leads are trying to play their characters.

Having the least dialogue isn't really Grint's fault in fairness. And whilst he's guilty of gurning somewhat, I much prefer him to the relative wooden-ness of Radcliffe. He gets better as time goes on, but Ron & Hermione are much more consistently acted throughout the franchise (from what I've seen of it at least).

I've never seen any of the Harry Potter movies, nor have I read the books, so you can't cast a net like that.

See now, I think it's a major disservice to everyone who hasn't read the books or seen the movies to give a full-on minute-by-minute, point-by-point summary. It drags pretty badly for everyone who has seen the movies, and it's only spoiling the story for the people who are unaware. It would be better just to start off with a disclaimer saying that it's best to actually read/watch the stories first.

And a major disservice is overstating it too. This is coming from the guy who contributed over 5 hours of recording time to a single film (The Dark Knight) where Mike, James & I did pretty much the same thing.

The people who are "unaware" should know what they're getting simply by looking at the length of the podcast-episode, without needing a disclaimer. And as a statute of limitation, this film is now 10 years old - by now, if you want to have seen this film adaptation, you will have. The Harry Potter books aren't exactly an underground sleeper literary hit....

For my money, these guys did just fine for their first run-out. And they'll only get better the more times they do it too. I'm right behind you on this one, gentlemen!

For my money, these guys did just fine for their first run-out. And they'll only get better the more times they do it too. I'm right behind you on this one, gentlemen!

Thanks Ian! :)

Unfortunately, Chris says his schedule has been too busy lately for him to help host PotterWatch, so I'll have a new co-host when I get to Chamber of Secrets. Hopefully we'll record sometime next month, when we're on the same continent.