Episode 02

RSS

Captain Kirk is faced with two more godlike beings, one of whom is his oldest, dearest friend ("Where No Man Has Gone Before"). Following that, The Enterprise nearly crashes to its doom once the crew loses all sense of self-control ("The Naked Time"). Also, Dan stuns Mike speechless when he reveals exactly how long it will take to cover every Star Trek television program and movie, Mike pieces together Spock's origin, and the guys debate one particular stat. [ 1:58:45 || 57.5 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/theedgeofforever/episodes/theedgeofforever_002.mp3

In regards to Star Trek "collectibles" and merchandise. Say what you will about LucasFilms and the toyeticness of certain alien species and whatnot from Jedi on, but their iron grip on their licence and decades long relationships with certain companies (i.e Topps Trading Cards, Marvel and then Dark Horse Comics, and Kenner/Hasbro toys) that there isn't the crazy mass of Star Wars crap and paraphernalia as there is from other franchises that are controlled by monolithic production companies like Paramount.

I mean the toy licence for Trek bounced around so many times, I don't know who has it at this point without doing an internet search. Now while yes, there were a lot of Star Wars crap out there, and who still knows what will happen under Disney's control, but it did seem that there was more quality control with Star Wars licence than most other franchises.

Obviously you got like 13 years to think on it but for Enterprise, maybe use the ending credit theme instead?

If the Berman and Braga had to use a pop song, why couldn't they use a more upbeat song? SF Debris pointed out any song could have fit it better.

http://youtu.be/3P4IlgtwHmA

I really, really like "Where My Heart Will Take Me" as the Enterprise theme, precisely because Enterprise is not fully a Star Trek show. Really, until season 4, Enterprise is a future-NASA show that happens to have connections to Star Trek. You can tell just from looking at their uniforms, which are basically NASA jumpsuits with TOS division color piping on the shoulders. And that theme song totally gets the "we will prevail" idea of NASA and the general idea of human achievement. Actually, when I visited NASA in Houston a few years ago, that song was playing in the main lobby. Hearing it while staring at actual spacecraft made me go, "yeah, that fits."

I think THE NAKED TIME might be my favorite TOS episode I've seen, as I love the cresendo to the end. Kirk's cool and collected until the last few minutes where he loses it. The scene with Spock and Chapel I found compelling because it's the first time Spock's explicitly been shown to be so conflicted. I tend to rewatch these scenes again and again (barring the slash commentary).

• 4 weeks later...

The naked time:

I think a major part of Takei wanting to not use an Asian sword might have had something to do with his appearance in an episode of the twilight zone, as a Japanese American kid who became part of the nightmares of a veteran of the pacific campaign. At the end of that episode he becomes a Japanese sword wielding "banzai" kind of stereotype.

The naked time:

I think a major part of Takei wanting to not use an Asian sword might have had something to do with his appearance in an episode of the twilight zone, as a Japanese American kid who became part of the nightmares of a veteran of the pacific campaign. At the end of that episode he becomes a Japanese sword wielding "banzai" kind of stereotype.

That's probably a factor. I read something not long ago where his reasoning was "Asian or no, what are the odds a guy in the 23rd century has ever held a katana? Hell, it's the 20th century and I've never held a katana."

Here's the link on imdb for that TZ episode, in case anyone is interested. As the article describes: Japanese sword was handled by Takei, in 1964. If the link doesn't work, look to season five, " the encounter".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734637/?ref_=ttep_ep18

Lots of important crossover in that episode with Takei's real life, he having spent time in an internment camp during the war.