Every comic you've read in 2016

Missy

The Totally Awesome Hulk #6: Between Gwenpool and now this, I'm loving the Thor cameos. Jane is old school brash, punchy Thor but with a dry sense of humor. I'm going to have to read her book soon. Besides Thor, there's some character development between the Chos, and it's all mixed in with an okay fight and great art.

Comics: 284

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Batgirl #52:

It's an okay issue, it's fine but I don't care. Book should've ended two months ago with Babs Tarr. All of the goodbyes fell flat for me and A number of the subplots they tried to get going never took off for me to give a crap.

Sensational She-Hulk in Ceremony #1,2: a two volume graphic novel written by Dwayne McDuffie. It's fucking garbage. The whole time Shulkie is whining about wanting a man and a baby. It's terrible. I'm sure McDuffie wished this was something that never had his name on it. He should.

Old Wounds: tp of a modern retired pulp hero thing. Working through stuff that's similar to the novel I just finished. Decent enough.

Protectors #1-20: This was a Malibu series that came out the same time they were publishing Image. It has a lot more depth than those early Image books and I think featured some "public domain" superheroes who weren't actually public domain at the time, which is the reason noone has ever heard about this. Pretty solid. Mostly the same creative team throughout.

Comics: 552
Trades: 22

Graphic Novels: 16

Omnibuses: 8

DC Universe Rebirth #1: I'm honestly not sure where to start. This has the hallmarks of the beginnings of a major turnaround that DC Comics desperately needs. For the first time in I don't even know how long, this feels like a DC comic to me. These are the characters I read before they got all angsty and kewl and whatever. Barry Allen is the guy who stops and talks to the people he saves and gets them a pizza if they look like they need some food. Yes. That is Barry.

I'm kind of shocked at how frank and honest Johns is being here: "We done fucked up." And it doesn't feel like he's pinning it on DiDio or Lee or anyone specific; as chief creative officer, he is every bit as responsible for the ugly shitpile that DC turned into. Of course there were good comics being made in the past few years, but overall the tone has been dark, unpleasant, and not something I ever wanted to read (I can literally count on one hand he number of DC books I read since the New 52 started - two issues for podcast segments, and a couple I got in blind boxes - because every time I picked one up and leafed through it I never felt compelled to finish it, let alone buy it). And this was sixty-some pages of "We know that DC used to mean something, and we got away from that, and we're going to try to get back there."

And holy shit, that scene with Barry and Wally.

This is quite literally the first time I walked into a comic shop and bought a comic book the week it came out in six years. It was money well spent.

Outcast vol 2: awesome. Interested to check out the TV show. Harrow County is getting all the kudos, but this book and the next one are easily the best horror comics out there right now.

Nailbiter vol 4: so fucking good.

3 Floyds-Alpha King #1: just as much of a bullshit commercial as NFL Superpro was. NFL Superpro was better.

A Year of Marvels May #1: New Wolverine and She-Hulk vs twin Wendigo girls. awesome.

Actionverse #3-6: Fun, but not entirely necessary.

Adventures in Pulp Presents Hawk and a Handsaw: not good.

All-New Wolverine #8: back to good again.All-New X-Men #9: sooooo good! I know nothing about this Evan character but this issue changed all that. 

ANAD Avengers #9: back to good again.

American Monster #3: this is getting pretty great.

Comics: 562
Trades: 24

Archie vs. Sharknado: It took me way too long to realize that this was not just a crossover but a send-up of the Shlockbuster ways of storytelling. As such, I spent far too long baffled at images of Veronica's father, random civilians and Sabrina the Teenage Witch being mauled to death by killer sharks (in GRAPHIC detail) while Betty and Veronica quip as they pass through swaths of bloody shark guts. Once Cheryl Blossom lost her bikini top, I'm like "Okay I get it now."

Archangel #1: a parallel reality thing written by William Gibson. Ok.

Archie #8: Not a huge fan of this artist, and this story seemed like it could have been better if it was more than one issue long.

Comics: 564
Trades: 24

Superman (1987) #31: This is the book I mentioned during episode 876 of The Show. Basically, while Superman is off in space, Mxy shows up for a fight. With Superman missing, it's up to Lex to save the city -- which he does with contracts, guile, and robots. Though it has dark moments, at its core it is an exceptionally silly tale which does not overstay its welcome. The backup story is much more real-world, in that it's all about Lex using the media and gossip to gain ownership of a STAR Labs laboratory. This is the period when Luthor had shifted from mad scientist to a Trump-like mogul, and this story is a fascinating look at the 1980s. It's also a frighting look at how much the world of business has not changed in 27 year.

Combined, both stories (which are semi-linked) tell you everything you need to know about Lex. He loves Metropolis so much, he puts his personal safety directly in the line of fire in order to take down a godlike being. However, despite this selflessness, he does have a dark agenda that's unfolding at a pace which he has set. It's brilliant characterization, in that he truly believes he is the hero of his own story, and winning over Mxy only solidifies this in his mind.

Based on this issue alone, I might have to dive into back issues of Superman, Action Comics, and Adventure of Superman, because I want more of the Lex drama presented here.

Comics: 285

Post-Crisis Lex Luthor was a really interesting character. Far and away the biggest change to the Superman mythos, I thought he worked spectacularly enough that Teenage Fanboy Dan didn't mind that he wasn't running around in purple-and-green spandex building death rays and blaming Superboy for the loss of his hair anymore.

Ms Marvel (Kamala Khan) vol.2 #7:  Now this I really enjoyed. Loved seeing Miles in the book, and them being science rivals was fun. I think it goes a long way to making these new legacy characters their own people and have them interact with each other as contemporaries without interference or appearances from older, more established characters. Here, Miles is Spider-Man, not Miles Morale: Spider-Man. Plus, Alphona's back on art! Best issue in a while.

Scooby Apocalypse #1: This thing was a weird read. It makes me think of Josh Trank's Fantastic Four although Mike's right in that it does indeed not take itself seriously. Still the personalities of the characters are all a lot more combative which is a bit of a turn-off for me. I get that they're all meeting for the first time and long-time relationships starting out hostile has become a cliche of storytelling but I found it fairly uninspired here. Velma specifically going from the plucky sleuth to the prickly super-scientist isn't a change I was enjoying. Plus she looks Super Deformed in an anime style that I can't place if she's supposed to be young, short or a little person. I was shocked that Howard Porter did the art, I didn't recognize it. It's interesting and I'll check out the next issue but this initial start was odd for me.

Superman Rebirth #1: A solid transitional point between Superman #52 and Superman #1 that has the Post-Crisis Superman and the new 52 Lana Lang discuss death and rebirth for the new 52 Superman. Really good stuff. Doug Mahnke's art is quite good.

Batman Rebirth #1: Alright. It was a good issue, involving Bruce bringing Duke Thomas into the fold and a really neat new concept of the Calendar Man. Nothing concerning Rebirth was referenced so I enjoyed Superman more.

Superman: Rebirth #1: As post-Crisis Superman slowly realizes he cannot bring post-Flashpoint Superman back to life, we get a retelling of The Death of Superman. Along with post-Crisis Superman, we come to realize why he must become this world’s one and only Superman. Along with honoring all of his parents, it’s clear he’ll do so to honor this world’s fallen Superman. Though the issue is mostly a prelude to what’s to come, knowing my Superman is back in action does fill me with hope for this Earth, DC Comics, and the Superman titles.

The Death of Superman flashbacks are amazing, but Jaime Mendoza inks Doug Mahnke in a way that makes the final product sometimes look like a combination of Brett Booth and Travis Charest. During the slower, talking bits, the art is unbalanced; characters are off-model, and there’s a general blandness to them, creating a book that doesn’t have all of the emotional weight it’s going for.

If you’re interested in why post-Crisis Superman becomes Superman of this world, this is an okay starting point. If not, you can skip ahead one week until Action Comics #957 and two weeks until Superman #1.

Batman: Rebirth #1: Calendar Man strikes as Batman trains Duke (We Are Robin) to be his new ally. This, like Superman: Rebirth, is setting something up — but I can’t tell what. It has something to do with Calendar Man playing a long game, it seems, and this is only the start.

Could Calendar Man regenerate before, or is this a new ability?

Really digging Mikel Janin on art here, though Bruce does look a touch too much like Dick Grayson at times. It’s too bad he isn’t the new Batman artist.

Green Lanterns: Rebirth #1: A Green Lantern book with a secret prophecy and a strange new ring? Wait, there’s also forced tension which will in no way lead to sexual tension? Wow! How refreshing!

Outside of the idea that Earth’s two rookie Lanterns need to team-up all the time, there is literally nothing new being offered here. Longtime GL fans might like it, but I wasn’t hooked.

The Punisher #2: As it was with the first issue, this is familiar territory. The wheel doesn’t have to be reinvented, I admit, but The Punisher chasing down drug- and gun-runners? Read that in the 80s, 90s, etc. Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t bad. It’s just that, unless this is your first Punisher comic, I don’t see why this would be read monthly. It’s a trade-wait.

Comics: 289

Green Arrow: Rebirth #1: Despite a few instances of iffy dialog and a point in the book where you can feel the writer go "oh shit, I'm running out of pages," I liked this one. The main threat of the series (or the opening storyline) is clearly established, and Dinah and Ollie work well together -- even if this is their first mission together. To that end, it's nice seeing their relationship being (if you'll pardon the pun) reborn. I'm digging the art, too. It captures the urbanness, poshness, and horrificness of each world. It looks like this is the creative team of the series, so I'll give it a go.

All-New Wolverine #9: Oh my fucking god, this book! It's the exact opposite of what a Logan-led Wolverine book would be, yet it's the pitch-perfect Wolverine comic led by Laura. So many jokes. If this isn't already smeared all over Tumblr, I'll be shocked. I'd say more, but the fun must not be spoiled.

Comics: 291

Mike - re: Mighty Thor, definitely go for it. It's fucking gorgeous. The last two issues are a fill in by another artist and pretty skippable though. Also - glad to hear the Faith mini is picking up new readers!

All Star Western 34 (or whatever the last issue is from the Palmiotti run): Cooke gets to do a fairly rote Western by Palmiotti. Some real good panels here, gorgeous. 

4001 2: Pretty solid fight issue, Clayton Crain continues to kick all the ass, and pieces are moving nicely in the background. Not as knock out stunning as issue one, but still fun and good. And it's only 4 issues, so we don't have to worry about this shit dragging on forever and a damn day. 

Survivors Club 9: Maaaaaaaybe this will make more sense on a single readthrough as a trade?? IDK, I completely lost the thread of this tbh. 

Deadly Class 21: Hoooooooooooooly fuckshit. Gorgeous art by Wes Craig, and the climax to this was not where I was expecting this to go. I'm pretty sure @Dread is still reading this - let me know what you think?  Probably the best thing that I read this week - and in a week where it released with the last issue of Hellboy and Casanova, that's saying something. 

Casanova Acedia 5: Okay! That is some properly fucking weird Matt Fraction. Feels like he's starting to get back on track with this story which, after almost a half year (possibly nine month?) break, feels right. Casanova - maybe it'll actually be out on a consistent basis someday! The twins are as gorgeous as ever, and the Metanauts backup with Chabon is starting to converge with the main story. 

Hellboy in Hell 10: Leaves things in the perfect place for Mignola to come back and pick them up when he wants to, and makes enough sense as a single and final issue. Hats off to you, Mignola. We'll be glad to have you back when you're ready. 

Joyride 1: A friend on the Twitters was super into this. Ehhhh? Feels super rote to me, not that impressed by it. The To art is good, though. 

Single Issues: 240
TPBs/Collections: 67
Digital First Issues: 10

Deadly Class 21: Hoooooooooooooly fuckshit. Gorgeous art by Wes Craig, and the climax to this was not where I was expecting this to go. I'm pretty sure @Dread is still reading this - let me know what you think?  Probably the best thing that I read this week - and in a week where it released with the last issue of Hellboy and Casanova, that's saying something. 

I'm reading it in trade, so it will be a little while, but judging from the Twitter reaction, it's a doozy.  

Green Lanterns: Rebirth #1: Not bad. Mike isn't wrong; the rom-com tension between Simon and Jessica will get real old real fast if there isn't a curve soon. However, I thought overall the issue was a decent introduction to what's coming and who these people are, and it looked nice.

Green Arrow: Rebirth #1: This didn't do a lot for me. It feels like they're trying to combine classic middle-aged Ollie with Stephen Amell Ollie and it doesn't really jell. It's nice to see him with Dinah, and there are some good character moments, but generally this wasn't my thing. Wasn't crazy about the art, either.

Superman and Batman were sold out. Aargh.

Peplum: Best described as "that's a French comic alright". Blutch's ink work is gorgeous, story is pretty hallucinatory, definitely an experience to read. 

The One That I Love: Collection of short early CLAMP vignettes. Light, fluffy read. 

Shadowman vols 1-2: First volume had pretty solid story setup and art. The second volume just absolutely misses the mark; the story can't seem to figure out where it wants to go, and has a random pointless Dr. Mirage tittytastic cameo for three issues, who then suddenly disappears. The artists are constantly rotating; getting De La Torre for the other side art is a good mark, but he's only sporadic at best. Maybe vol 3 will get back on track? 

4001: Bloodshot: Odd oneshot about the Bloodshot nanites looking for Ray's dead body in the future. Possibly ties into the new Bloodshot arc? Not sure. Odd, but a fun enough read. 

Bombshells 45: Ahem. RENEE MONTOYA RENEE MONTOYA RENEE MONTOYA RENEE FUCKING MONTOYA IN A CONTEXT THAT MAKES SENSE GIVEN THE AU AND WITH QUEERNESS INTACT HALLEFUCKINGLUJAH

Single Issues: 241
TPBs/Collections: 71
Digital First Issues: 11

Edited by Venneh

Power of the Atom (1988) #1-11: After the Crisis, there was a mini-series called Sword of the Atom, where Ray Palmer wrote a tell-all book, got stuck at a permanent six-inch height, and went to live in a Brazilian rain forest with a group of tiny aliens having John Carter adventures. This is the follow-up to that. Here, Ray's back in Ivy Town, has a new costume that he can control telepathically (rather than having to fiddle with his belt), has increased strength, and has to deal with the fallout of having revealed his identity to the public. If that sounds like a lot of setup, it is, but the bulk of it is resolved in the first couple of issues (he regains his size-changing abilities almost immediately) and for the most part these are very quick, breezy stories that fly by in no time. There are some running threads (Ray is dealing with his recent divorce from Jean Loring, the CIA wants him to come work for them, and some of these are Invasion! tie-in issues), but for the most part these are one-and-done. The writer is Roger Stern, and he brings his usual skill to things without feeling the need to amp things up to "Under Siege" levels of drama. Ray crosses paths with the JLI twice, and those stories have the right goofy feel. The art is a mixed bag; Dwayne Turner does the first few issues, and it's pretty erratic. After a bit, Graham Nolan takes over. This was his first regular work, and it's... fine. Not awesome, not terrible. Overall a fun, easy read (I got through all eleven issues in about an hour) that entertained without getting too heavy.

Reading the description for the first issue of the Sword of The Atom mini, and "When scientist Ray Palmer catches his wife in the arms of another man, the Atom leaves behind the world of man and enters a realm undreamed of" is amazing

Superman: Rebirth #1: I'm not sure why, but I was never able to climb on board with the idea that New 52 Superman was actually Superman. Pretty much everyone else, I could buy as more or less the real deal, but this Clark always felt like a totally different guy to me. Now the "real" one is back, and he feels right. I liked this as the beginning to a new direction, and I'm interested enough to see where this goes. I'm not normally a big fan of Doug Mahnke (heresy, I know) but I also thought it looked really good.

Batman: Rebirth #1: This was fine, I guess. Calendar Man certainly is up to something. Duke is about to be a thing, also. To be continued.

Reading the description for the first issue of the Sword of The Atom mini, and "When scientist Ray Palmer catches his wife in the arms of another man, the Atom leaves behind the world of man and enters a realm of undreamed of" is amazing

DC had some seriously good marketing people at the time. Every issue here had house ads that made absolutely everything (long since forgotten) sound like the most incredible thing ever.

Batman/TMNT #6: this certainly lost its shine over the run, but it was alright in the end.

Black Road #2: a lot better than the first issue. Not sure if I'll give it another.

Black Eyed Kids #2: solid follow-up. Still not too enlightened as to what's going on.

Black Widow #3: I don't actually remember a thing about this. I think I'm done with it. Maybe I'll try the trade.

Bloodshot Reborn #13: solid.

Brutal Nature #1: interesting.

Captain America Sam Wilson #9: ehh...kind of iffy.

Captain America Steve Rogers #1: Really fucking good. y favorite kind of Cap story: lots of action, his influecned cast of supporting characters in action and something that pits him at odds with his legacy/mission. I loved it.

Carnage #8: DEFINITELY better than the last issue.

Cinema Purgatorio #1: I gave this a shot when I really shouldn't have.

Civil War #0: so fucking weird. Marvel's still really trying to put the Inhumans over.

Clean Room #8: fuck yes, maybe the best issue of the run.

Crossed Badlands #96-98: i can't believe this is almost over.

DC Universe Rebirth #1: seriously one of the worst comics I've read in years. And people are upset about Captain America? Geoff Johns should be ashamed with this script. It's fucking terrible. Long, unfocused and completely resistant to an actual story. If this was free it would have at least have an excuse. Something like 80 pages without a single fucking story. The fact that they charged for this pisses me off to no end. This is on the low end of the zero issues I've read. No story, bullshit attempt to pilotize a comics brand. Fuck this book.

Divinity II #2: really fucking good.

Empress #2: oof, I'm done. The first issue had so much going for it. This was garbage.

Fiendish Fables: a stupid horror oneshot from a couple years back.

GI Joe The Cobra Files #1: this follows the COBRA canon (one of three or four canons of GI Joe that I'm aware of in the IDW comics) and it's quite good. Need to reread the Cobra series again.

Criminal Macabre-The Eyes of Frankenstein: fun.

Comics: 584
Trades: 25

Astro City Lovers Quarrel: just as this was sitting in my checkout at DCBS, I was heavily debating quitting Astro City for good. The first 3 volumes in this AC rebirth have been lacklustre, not great from the beginning and worse with every volume afterwards. This one just happens to include two very different stories, but two of the very best stories in AC lore. In one, heroes experience a sexual and romantic relationship while both of them deal with the realities of growing old as heroes without superpowers. The second is about a talking gorilla who plays drums in a rock band. They're both fucking glorious and probably the two best AC stories in almost 20 years.

Flinch Book One: imagine my delight when discovering that one of the greatest horror anthologies was set to trade. Vertigo wasn't fucking around with this line-up of creators. On art alone, the first issue has Jim Lee, Frank Quitely and Richard fucking Corben. But, I was delighted to reread all of these issues. I can't wait for the second and final volume to be delivered next month. That volume features several issues I've never read.

Heavy Metal #280: Grant Morrison's first issue as editor. Garbage. Only a few decent parts and they're parts 7 and 8 respectively of larger stories that I will gladly buy in collected form. I'm done with this though.

Sunstone vol 4: another in the lesbian BDSM graphic novel series from the great Stjepan Sejic. Amazing work. I can't believe I'm so emotionally invested in this. Almost brought to tears at one point here.

Howard the DuckThe Complete Collection vol 2: Boy, Gerber and Colan on this series are fucking untouchable: pure satire and farce in comics form. No one has ever done it better. The closest this gets to the Marvel Universe is a 4 issue arc with the Circus of Crime. Glorious. There's some terrible shit here too, namely, just about every other issue not drawn by Colan. It's a tradeoff.

Future Quest #1: there's no other perfect comics creative team than the guys on this book. There might be one more, but he died a few weeks ago. This is glorious and beautiful and does a far better job at introducing a comics universe than anything I've ever read.

Gold Key Alliance #2: Didn't love this. Liked it more than the first issue and I may just follow along for a little while because I love the characters so much.

Grizzlyshark #2: crazy and stupid. Don't know if I'll read another, but this was bonkers.

Heartthrob #2: Look, if you're going to go for it, go for it. I feel like this book is holding back. 

Hot Damn #2: bonkers and fun as fuck.

Comics: 589
Trades: 28

Graphic Novels: 17

Omnibuses: 9

Action Comics #957: Light on plot, but sets up the "return" of Superman thrice over in a big way. Not the best comic ever but majorly entertaining from an old fan's perspective. That's three weeks in a row I've enjoyed a modern day Superman comic.

Detective Comics #934: Similar deal as Action Comics, a set up issue introducing all the players for the foreseeable issue. Classic modern era comic book decompression, but it's okay. I'm buying this comic because it has Bruce Wayne and Tim Drake (looking like Tim Drake for the first time in ten years) working together again, along with Cassandra Cain. My Triumphant Trio.

The one thing that puts me off is how Batwoman's made out to be this extremely overqualified crime-fighter compared to Tim. That bothers me, especially in the face of Rebirth where they're going to presumably get their memories back. But I'm choosing to look at it from her combat experience. So I'm rolling. Seeing her address Tim as such a novice compared to her irritated me, but I'll get over it. 

Eddy Barrows is like Ethan Van Sciver crossed with Don Kramer. He's a good Batman artist. Batman's characterization was on point here too, a welcome respite from the Bat-God of Batman Rebirth that has been prolific in the past decade or so.

Wonder Woman Rebirth #1:  This was way more explicitly about Rebirth than anything I've read since DC Rebirth three weeks ago. Diana is completely confused about her origins and Rucka compares and contrasts her classic one with the new 52 one. She sheds her new 52 costume and dons her Rebirth one, then goes to Olympus for answers. Seeing what the new 52 Wonder Woman consisted of in these scenes made me immediately dislike everything about it. I never liked her new 52 costume as it was way too bland and the choker looked stupid. Changing her origin to having the Amazons bully her for being different? Who's stupid idea was that? Nothing is being lost if any of this is getting tossed out the window.

American Virgin vol 1: Comic I read in college that was Cloonan before I knew who she was. Interesting setup, goes right to the heart of some shitty Christian tropes, and has some real interesting stuff set up story wise. Cloonan is clearly still finding her style here, but it's still pretty good. Weird back matter that was meant to be a parody but still kinda came off ehhhh.

WicDiv 20: Setup/breather issue before the next big fight issue, and fills in some backstory holes nicely. Kind of feel sorry for McKelvie this issue, as there's a lot of fire this issue. Wilson again does crazy shit color wise, just for fun.

Four Kids Walk Into a Bank 1: By the same team that did We Can Never Go Back Home. Leads in with a bunch of kids playing D+D, and slowly morphs into the kids getting over their heads as one of their dads may or may not be involved in a bank robbery. Seems like it'll go interesting places, I'll wait for the trade.

The Complete Pistol Whip: All of the Pistol Whip comics Kindt and Hall did (includes Mephisto and the Empty Box, the Yellow Menace, and I forget what the second story was called). I'd read Empty Box and Yellow Menace before, so was way more interested in that second story. Absolutely gorgeous art by Kindt, and good twists by Hall. Worth a read if you find it cheap.

Single Issues: 243
TPBs/Collections: 73
Digital First Issues: 101