Every comic you've read in 2016

Missy

Aquaman Rebirth #1: pretty good, but I'll be happy when I read a fucking Aquaman comic that doesn't apologize for being an Aquaman comic.

That a great way to put it. For that, it seems, you'd have to go back before Flashpoint, because that's how the New 52 series began, too.

Y'know, I can't remember Pre-New52 Aquaman. It's like he was wiped from my memory. The last I remember is the JLA series version. 

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of that is that Pre-New 52, Aquaman was in a bit of limbo. He got kicked from his own series after Infinite Crisis, was dead, got resurrected after Blackest Night, and had like less than 12 issues of a bland series before Flashpoint happened 

Oh yeah, was that that Sub Diego stuff?

I've always heard great things from the Peter David hook-hand era.

Some Erik Larsen in there too.

I really should re-read that. It was terrific stuff at the time and I'd love to see if it holds up even a little.

Batman Rebirth #1: eh...it was ok. I'm a fan of the new team member, just aesthetically. But I'm mostly unimpressed.

Brutal Nature #2: cool. Amazing art.

Civil War II Gods of War #1: this is just a continuation of the Hercules series, which is good, because it's sure to be better than the even itself.

Civil War II #1: Ok...Bendis knows that one of the fundamental things about Carol Danvers is that she's an alcoholic, right? I even think Tony was her sponsor. WHY THE FUCK IS SHE DRINKING CHAMPAGNE?!!! Other than that, this is ok. It's a better reason for the split than the first CW was. I like the idea of whether or not to shape the future better than gods and aliens having to adhere to a government list. It's interesting.

Civil War II Amazing Spider-Man #1: this was cute, but I really hope that these tie-ins don't just turn into "this hero now has to babysit the Inhuman who can see the future."

Comics: 634
Trades: 30

Graphic Novels: 19

Civil War II #1: Ok...Bendis knows that one of the fundamental things about Carol Danvers is that she's an alcoholic, right? I even think Tony was her sponsor. WHY THE FUCK IS SHE DRINKING CHAMPAGNE?!!!

Every so often she's drawn drinking and it bugs the shit out of me.

Civil War II #1: Ok...Bendis knows that one of the fundamental things about Carol Danvers is that she's an alcoholic, right? I even think Tony was her sponsor. WHY THE FUCK IS SHE DRINKING CHAMPAGNE?!!!

Every so often she's drawn drinking and it bugs the shit out of me.

I mean...make it a thing. It's obvious that alcoholics drink, especially when they hop off the wagon, but have some fucking consequences. Also,

I get that killing Rhodey was necessary, but I think that She-Hulk was a little much.

Action Comics #958: Too much punching and not enough characterization, but I don't mind all that much because I love what Dan Jurgens is doing here. He's retelling Reign of the Supermen, but with post-Crisis Superman as one of the replacements for Superman. The world has no idea who he is, his legacy, or his intentions -- much like when his four replacements popped up on the scene. At the moment we have the man in a powered suit (Lex) and a Kryptonian look-alike (post-Crisis Superman), with a Superboy on the horizon (Jonathan). Now all that's needed is a cyborg, which I'm guessing is this other Clark Kent.

Carnage #9: The book is losing a little of its luster; this storyline is taking too long to bring the pieces back together, but it's earned enough goodwill that I'll stick with it.

Deadpool vs. Gambit #1: I do not care.

Detective Comics 935: Not enough Clayface.

Justice League #52: Taking place just before Action Comics #957, Lex sets his sights on becoming the hero the world deserves. And I like not knowing if Lex is being genuine in this effort or if this is all part of an evil plot.

Vote Loki #1: The "HA HA! Politics are a joke" joke is going to get old, fast.

Weird Detective #1: Loved this! Des, give it a go.

Wonder Woman #1: Nice slow build towards the two stories eventually dovetailing.

Comics: 319

Action Comics #958: Another week, another great Superman read. I don't think I've ever enjoyed reading his stuff so consistently.

Detective Comics #935: AHHHH! This is the best Batman ongoing book I've read since the Morrison days! Pitch-perfect characterization, great use of the characters, the artwork's solid...it's like this was made for me.

Wonder Woman (vol.?) #1: Mixed feelings. The artwork is very good and I liked Diana, Steve and Etta Candy in this. It's a little too confusing for a first issue, and there's the whole mighty-whitey element with them in Africa that's just stupid and outdated.

Ms. Marvel (vol.4) #8: A very good use of the redonk Civil War II story regarding one of its teenaged heroes., and can be useful to younger readers regarding issues of profiling. 

Detective Comics #934: Ok, continuing the storytelling of Batman Eternal. I don't get why Tim is here. Wy does he need to be trained? Doesn't make sense. Will read more.

Godzilla Oblivion #3: the first so frivolous issue that I can't remember a thing from it other than a bunch of Mechagodzillas.

Gold Key Alliance #3: ok...I've given this more than enough shots. I'm out. Sad. I literally love these characters. All of them. I feel like the creative team is bungling this. I so wish the new Valiant had these characters.

Green Arrow Rebirth #1: oof...not very good.

Green Lanterns Rebirth #1: I was prepared to not like this. I didn't loive it, but it was okay. We're already building to a Blackest Night style event which feels a little soon for me.

House of Penance #3: So fucking creepy and weird. Getting some answers here.

Invincible Iron Man #10: kind of confusing, but I look forward to the ANAD Avengers showing up next issue.

Comics: 641

Graphic Novels: 19

King's Quest #2: fun. Interesting to see where this goes.

Lookers: Weird GN compilation. Adult zombie-fighting thing. Mike Costa does this stuff a lot. Zenescope stuff with tits, basically.

Moon Knight #2,3: This certainly took a turn. Interesting. Beautifully drawn.

Ninjak #15,16: this feels a lot more like a Big Two story, breaking the lead down to nothing and forcing his hand to be even more resourceful. It's good. Interesting to see next month's conclusion.

TMNT Bebop & Rocksteady Destroy Everything #1,2: fun and goofy stuff.

Old Man Logan #6,7: solid and grim.

Comics: 650

Graphic Novels: 20

In preparation for a Planet Hulk reread, I decided to give some of the preludes to the storyline a go.

Fantastic Four #533-535: JM Straczynski and Mike McKone craft a solid Hulk story, in which there's a very good reason for the two to fight: Hulk took another Gamma Bomb to the face, leading to a rampage through Las Vegas. Johnny and Ben are dispatched to stop him, with the predictable quips thrown in. It's all fun until both men realize they cannot beat The Hulk when he's this mad and gamma-fueled; The Hulk is going to kill them, and there is nothing they can do to save themselves or Vegas. The resulting display of brotherly love is touching, and reminds you what sets the FF apart from every other super-team book.

New Avengers: Illuminati #1: This one-shot only partially touches on The Hulk -- it's mostly a prelude to Civil War -- but it's very interesting looking at it 10 years later. So many storylines were hinted at and forged in these pages.

Incredible Hulk #88-91: SHIELD and The Illuminati trick Banner into allowing The Hulk to be shot into space to smash a rogue satellite, with the intent being to send him into deep space after said satellite is destroyed. Really, this is a two- (maybe three-) issue story stretched out to four, with lots of rote smashing and a threat that is never actually threatening. Even though he's an LMD, Nick Fury is way out of character. (And, frankly, I'm not sure editorial told Daniel Way that Fury was an LMD, so I can't blame him entirely.)

While the FF story was a fun read and the Illuminati one-shot paved the way for Marvel's future, none of these are essential pre-Planet Hulk reads.

Comics: 328

Beyond the Johnny and Ben moments, what really sells the story is Ben realizing The Hulk is working through mental anguish. He sees The Hulk's eyes and recognizes the look he himself has seen in the mirror too many times to count. Also, the stuff about The Hulk realizing he's immortal and hating himself even more for it is perfect.

Chew vol.11: Still reliably great and solid as ever. There was a scare with killing off (another) likeable female character but Layman proved that he knew better than to start forming a pattern. The next five issues will be the series' last. I've been reading this consistently by trade since 2010, it's gonna be an odd experience for me once it reaches it's forgone conclusion.

Renato Jones-The One Percent #1,2: the story is a little on the nose, but it's absolutely perfect for the time we're living in, so it has that going for it. On top of that, I can't see someone possibly arguing that Kaare Andrews is not in the top 3 of the finest cartoonists living and working today. Beautiful work.

Comics: 652

Captain America: Steve Rogers #2: HA HA HA! All of the people who lost their minds are going to either retreat into a hole (pretending they never flew off the handle), or they're going to claim Marvel changed directions because of the backlash (little knowing how long it takes to produce a comic book). Either way, enjoyable issue.

Spider-Man #5: Besides Miles, I'm not sure there's a single character I like in this book. Everyone is a cliché or an asshole.

Doctor Who: The Ninth Doctor #2: Wow, a comic that took a good chunk of time to read. There's a lot going on in this one, with callbacks-a-plenty. All of the characters feel right, as well. It will be interesting to see how this one will wrap up.

Hyperion #4: Not the best conclusion to a story. While much is revealed about Doll and her kidnappers, the whole thing just ends. Also, was that Starro?

Mockingbird #4: Thought I'd take a chance on something new, and I am so glad I did. This was an extremely fun Mockingbird / Hawkeye adventure. Though it clearly falls into a larger storyline, it was a perfectly self-contained issue. I'll be reading issues one through three, as well as those that come next.

Comics: 333

Rough Riders #2,3: this is the sleeper hit of the year. Fun alternate history with art by the lost Kubert brother. Gorgeous and awesome book.

Second Sight #4,5: really bonkers and freaky. Good stuff.

Sheriff of Babylon #6,7: fucking hell, this book is brutal.

Superman Rebirth #1: Really good. Interesting and heartfelt retelling of the first Death of Superman. Good emotional punch near the end too.

The Discipline #3,4: Fucking solid, crazy and sexy.

The Doorman #1: Goofy fun. I'll try another.

Comics: 662

Spider-Man #5: Kinda with Mike on this one, though I don't think everyone is an asshole. I like how Bendis writes Black Cat, and I appreciate the pace of the issue not dragging the story out. I'm enjoying this book but there are always a few things I'm iffy on from issue to issue.

Captain America-Steve Rogers #2: PFFFTT!