Every comic you've read in 2016

Missy

So. I've been dealing with a bit of depression and shit. Still been reading stuff though. This is my attempt at doing some catch up.

Rai 14: Again, Valiant is giving the Rai line a fuller history, and I suspect weaving a way for things to move forward from 4001, especially with these predecessors. Cafu is neat enough, but it'll be good to have Crain back. 

Divinity II 3: Kind of a filler issue but there's some neat layout stuff that I'm 99% sure is Kindt, but still has a neat effect. Kindt is starting to show some strain here, but I think he's writing five other comics for Valiant too??

Sandman Presents: Petrifax: A hundred page fantasy one shot from back in the day by Mike Carey and art by Steve Leialoha. Fun enough read, was $8 back in August of '11, you'll probably find it in the dollar bin nowadays of you find it. Worth a read through if you do find it cheap.

Day Men vol 1: No way of getting around this, this is knock off Vampire the Masquerade that's somehow getting a movie. Idek. It was a fun enough read, a bit overwrought, but it had Brian Stelfreeze on art, so that was fun.

Unity vol 4: Jim picked this up for free at... I forget where. Combination of a blast from the past story/WW1 flashback and an attempt to bring a new member onto the team (Faith, filling out some of the backstory that I'd missed). Again, the writing around it is all solid enough, but I'm WAY more interested in the Faith bits of this, especially with them trying to bring her onto the team (it goes about as well as you'd think). 

Lazarus 22: Start of a new arc. I had to ask Jim just now what other I'd read that week than this, Pretty Deadly 10, and The Spire 8. I'd completely forgotten that I'd read this. That says a lot.

Pretty Deadly 10: Arc wrap up. Maybe I'll have a better sense of what happened here on the trade, but all I can tell you is that it felt like a magical girl western towards the end there, which was certainly a thing. Fucking gorgeous work by Emma and Jordie tho.

The Spire 8: Credit where credit is due: I talked with Si about this at ECCC and floated my theory for the ending, and he said I wasn't entirely right and wouldn't be expecting it. He was right. This deserves the goddamn Eisner, and I don't think they were able to get it all out before voting deadlines, but Christ I hope they get it. Best mini that's come out so far this year (if a bit fucking delayed and then some). 

Wonder Woman 2: Picked this up on a whim, because I wanted to see how Rucka was doing being back on Diana, and how Scott was doing on her admitted dream project. Scott is gorgeous as ever, and Rucka's clearly setting threads for further down the line in the dovetailing story, but still works very well as a first issue origin story. Will probably pick it up when it's collected, if nothing else to be able to avoid all the fuckdamn ads interrupting the flow. 

The Fix 3-4: Contnues the trend of darky hilarious with some deep serious stuff. Interested to see how some of this stuff is going to play out down the line. Lieber is also great at setting up the visual jokes from panel to panel and page to page. A+ work.

4 Kids Walk Into a Bank 2: Again, love some of the visual storytelling we're getting with the art and layout, especially where Paige goes info diving at the police station. Can't wait to see how this escalates even further with these kids who are smart but occasionally real dumb like kids are, and how far in over their heads they are. Also really like the way they do the intro to each issue as a different 80s kid thing. 

The Wicked and the Divine 21: God the Aja cover on this is fucking gorgeous. The crazy ass fight scene that Wilson and McKelvie have clearly been itching to do for a while, and more stuff moving towards the arc conclusion. Great moments, looking forward to seeing how the team rips out our hearts next issue, they're overdue.

Jade Street Protection Services 1: Combination of a magical girl show meets Breakfast Club with a dab of Bitch Planet. It's got my attention, let's see if they can make it follow through. 

Bitch Planet 8: I've just accepted that like Casanova, this series shows up precisely when it means to. We get the deepening of the main plots that we've been looking for (FINALLY), and a good look at some of the realities of the place. Back matter is as interesting as always, the ad on the back is always a good touch, and there's some real neat stuff that Val DeLandro does in call back both to comics classics and earlier in the series itself (look at that first page real close). Continues to be a goddamn master work, if released incredibly unpredictably. 

Insexts 6: Real interesting to come into directly after Bitch Planet let me tell you. Marguerite is spitting venom for twenty pages and goddamn, there is some amazing stuff here. Ariela is clearly having lots of fun with the art she gets to do here too, especially the extremes she regularly gets to go to with only a few panels between them. Seriously, when the trade comes out, get this. 

Single Issues: 257
TPBs/Collections: 77
Digital First Issues: 11

Edited by Venneh

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Harley Quinn #29 - I enjoyed it when I read it, but it's rather forgettable now.

Godzilla Oblivion #4 - It's purely set-up for the finale instead of being its own chapter, but this should be fun.

ANAD Avengers #11 - Not ready to see the team break up. Then again, Waid only really seems to be interested in the teens and the adults as separate groups within the team.

ASM #14 - Not as embarrassing as the last issue but I still don't care much for this run.

Black Panther #3 - I'm digging this. 

Captain Marvel #6 - Best I've liked an issue of this volume so far, despite being a Civil War II tie-ins.

Daredevil #8 - It feels a little more like a Batman story, but this was fun!

Spider-Gwen Annual #1 - Loved this. Great collection of artists and so much fun.

Star Wars #20 - I'm really liking these Obi-Wan chapters.

Darth Vader #21-22 - This finale ought to be good. Larroca's art is better here than in the previous 20 issues.

Eleventh Doctor #10 - Read this recently and I don't remember it too much.

Wonder Woman 2: Picked this up on a whim, because I wanted to see how Rucka was doing being back on Diana, and how Scott was doing on her admitted dream project. Scott is gorgeous as ever, and Rucka's clearly setting threads for further down the line in the dovetailing story, but still works very well as a first issue origin story. Will probably pick it up when it's collected, if nothing else to be able to avoid all the fuckdamn ads interrupting the flow. 

Yeah if there's one thing the DC Rebirth comics have had that's been irritating, it's the insane volume of ads in every single issue. Last month it was literally every other page. This month it's 5 pages dedicated to the Trinity and WW write-ups. I figure it's to justify the 2.99 price all around, but buying the hard copies means you're sacrificing the flow of your reading to run into brick ad walls. I can't remember the last time I've seen ads as obtrusive and annoying as this current DC era.

Escape from Monster Island #1: ugh. No thank you.

Future Quest #2: Space Ghost, the Herculoids, Birdman...goddamn. I love this.

Godzilla Oblivion #4: ok, I guess.

Clara After Dark 3: more of the same. Funny, sexy, sad. That is perhaps the title of my autobiography.

Comics: 717
Trades: 32

Graphic Novels: 24

Omnibuses: 10

Superman: Speeding Bullets: If I recall, this was the very first Elseworlds I ever read, so it sticks with me and I reread it every once in a while. This reading, I found it becomes forced when Lex reveals himself to be The Joker. It comes out of the blue, seemingly only to advance the action portion of the comic. Up until that point, though, it's a solid look at Batman / Superman through Lois' eyes, and what makes Kal-El tick. 

Hellblazer: Rebirth #1: Not bad, but not for me.

Batman #3: Really clunky, this one.

Superman 3: Oh man! Did they just...? I mean, he'll be okay, right?

All-New Wolverine #10: Jonathan the Unstoppable!

Black Widow #5: Quick read, but beautiful art and it sets the stage for what's to come.

Spider-Man #6: Decent Civil War II tie-in, and it has all of the hallmark Spider-Man soap opera drama going on.

Comics: 380

East of West 1-10, vols 3-5: J and I woke up this morning, and shortly after us being properly awake, he bought over the trades and the single issues and said it was time for me to read this. Apocalyptic futuretechy Western spinning out of a Civil War alternate history, and has a great plot that slowly gains steam as the issues go on, and complex webs of loyalties that play out in amazing ways over the long term. Also, some damn amazing one liners. Dragotta does some pretty neat stuff. (Can also see this was firmly in Image's Western boom a few years ago.) My only real criticism is can we please fucking have some more development of our six or so female characters in relation to the twelve or so male characters? All I can tell you about one of them is that she is maybe a crow shapeshifter magic user lady. 

Five Fists of Science: Matt Fraction basically gets to do his version of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen with mostly science figures. He's clearly having fun, and it didn't really stick with me much more than that, but it was still a fun read. There's some weird moments with Sanders' colors where I legitimately could not tell what was going on because of the various dark shades playing together in not great ways. 

Casanova: Acedia 6: Yeah, I've just accepted that to some degree I have no idea what's going on anymore. Will probably work better on the trade? Things appear to be moving again, though. 

Single Issues: 268
TPBs/Collections: 81

Edited by Venneh

Betty & Veronica #1: The dynamic between the four main teens is amazing, the jokes had me laughing, I loved Betty's speeches, and having Hot Dog narrate the book was a fun choice. Adam Hughes illustrates both the cover and comic with a fitting tribute to Norman Rockwell's Middle-America aesthetic, and he restrains himself for the most part. I say "for the most part" because I could have done without the bikini page. Betty's body is mostly hidden by the comic she's reading, but we can see right down Veronica's swimsuit. While the narrative choice of pages 19 and 20 was a fun one, the pose of Veronica was a bit too much. Besides that, though, it's a splendid book that I will be reading for the foreseeable future.

Scooby Apocalypse #3: Thus far, every issue has balanced moving the plot forward with a dose of "previously in," which is a good idea during this opening storyline, as they are still establishing this new status quo. However, once the opening arc it through, I hope they move away from that style of storytelling. Beyond that, this is the first issue I was a little ho-hum on, but that's probably because everything slowed down to give the characters a breather. I will say, the scene where all of the characters drop there catchphrases has a brilliant Fred moment. And the cliffhanger? Yeah, I'm excited for that.

Comics: 382

Green Lanterns #1,2: You know, there was a long span between Hal Jordan watching Coast City die and going mad and Green Lantern: Rebirth. In the short years after GL Rebirth, the Lantern brand was made from a low tier supporting title that would occasionally tie-in to big events like Invasion or Reign of the Supermen to the actual flagship title of DC Comics. It was the fucking best. They really shot it in the dick with the New 52, and it doesn't look like that's changing with Rebirth. I'll try the Hal Jordan book but maybe I'll check it out in another 20 years.

Heartthrob #3: Not as good as the past two. I'm in for a little while longer though.

Hillbilly #1: Cool. Pretty standard first issue, but garish and lovely. Eric Powell's art is grand.

Hot Damn #3: This will definitely read better in trade form.

Jade Street Protection Service #1: I LOVED the first few pages of this and proceeded to be insulted by how stupid the rest of it was.

Justice League #51: Great Dick Grayson story form the beginning of the New 52 era which is somehow going to tie into Titans Rebirth? I don't know. It was good though. Was Dick Robin at the beginning of the New 52 though? I thought he was already Nightwing by then and was Robin in the proceeding 5 years that batman was around before JLA? Or am I just confused?

Comics: 724
Trades: 32

Graphic Novels: 24

Justice League #51: Great Dick Grayson story form the beginning of the New 52 era which is somehow going to tie into Titans Rebirth? I don't know. It was good though. Was Dick Robin at the beginning of the New 52 though? I thought he was already Nightwing by then and was Robin in the proceeding 5 years that batman was around before JLA? Or am I just confused?

Justice League #1 was set five years in the past, whereas Batman #1 was set in the present. So Dick could have been nearing the end of his Robin days in the flashback story from Justice League #51.

With that in mind, though, Justice League #51 presents a problem. That issues takes places six months after Justice League #1. So if Dick was still Robin, that means Bruce went through four Robins in less than five years. At the start of Batman #1, Dick and Tim are noted as former Robins, whereas Damian is said to be the current one. And let's not forget Jason. With a span of 54 months between Justice League #51 and Batman #1, Batman would have had to replace Robin every 13.5 months.

Justice League #1 was set five years in the past, whereas Batman #1 was set in the present. So Dick could have been nearing the end of his Robin days in the flashback story from Justice League #51.

With that in mind, though, Justice League #51 presents a problem. That issues takes places six months after Justice League #1. So if Dick was still Robin, that means Bruce went through four Robins in less than five years. At the start of Batman #1, Dick and Tim are noted as former Robins, whereas Damian is said to be the current one. And let's not forget Jason. With a span of 54 months between Justice League #51 and Batman #1, Batman would have had to replace Robin every 13.5 months.

That's exactly what I mean.

Justice League #52: even more problematic. All of a sudden, due to a cockamamie explanation, Luthor is back on earth and figures out New 52 Superman is dead in his shiny new powersuit. When last we left, 2 issues ago, he was sitting on the throne of Apokolips as a New God. Okay.

Hyperion #4: pretty good.

Moving Pictures: graphic novel about cataloguing fine art during Nazi-occupied France by the Immonens. Pretty good. Not my cup of tea. Bought it off them at a con.

Dark Knight a True Batman Story: pretty good I guess. Anybody's life is going to be amazing if Risso is painting it. The conceit of the Bat-villains as his insecurities, fears, flaws and alcoholism is neat. But it feels hollow overall.

Outcast vol 3: these are REALLY quick reads. I suppose having no chapter breaks does help that. I tend to read them in one sitting. So damned good. Need to check out the TV show.

Comics: 726
Trades: 33

Graphic Novels: 26

Kim & Kim #1: Nope. Terrible.

King's Quest #3: I retained nothing from this

Leaving Megalopolis #5: Ok.

Life With Kevin #1: One of the worst comics I've ever read.

Lobster Johnson Metal Monsters of Midtown #2: fuck, no. I'm out.

Jesus, bad batch, much?

Comics: 731

Rai 15: Oh. I think I know where War Mother is coming from now. Still eh on Cafu but man when he sticks the splashes he sticks them good.

4001 AD 3: Continues to be fucking gorgeous and has some great goddamn moments.  Looking forward to seeing how this resolves.

Haunt vol 4: Joe Casey and Nathan Fox take over a Kirkman/McFarlane joint. Couldn't give two flying fucks about the story (the flashback issue was great though), Fox is where it's at art wise though. 

The Shadow: 1941: Aka that time Denny O'Neil and Mike goddamn Kaluta teamed up on a pulp noir book about Nazis and destroyed your eyeholes from the glory. Real pretty, real fun, and doesn't need to be more than that.

Monstress vol 1: Hadn't read issue 6 yet, read it all the way through on the suspicion that it reads better on the trade. It did, and helped the monthly mysteries show up better in the larger arc. Probably gonna stick to the trade on this, or read the singles multiples at a time, as such. Also goddamn Sana Takeda is so fucking good at art. This is also a steal at $10 for almost 200 pages. Get this.

Single Issues: 270
TPBs/Collections: 84

Justice League Rebirth #1: Here's a great idea: let's take the Writer/artist of the last JLA comic, you know, the one he got three issues into before needing a replacement issue, and then he got one mnore issue in and didn't finish the opening storyline? Yeah, that one. Let's make him the writer of this new JL Rebirth book because EVERYONE was so excited about his writing <sarcasm>

Lone Ranger/Green Hornet #1: Fun. I like how they're in the same timeline and acknowledging their connection. Yes, it's canon.

Lucas Stand #1: I'm interested. I'll give it another issue.

Lucifer #7: Ehhh...it's alright.

Mae #2: Nowhere near as good as issue one. One more issue for me.

Moon Knight #4: The first issue was amazing. The second wasn't. The third was pretty awful. This one is complete shit. I'm out. Too bad, it's a beautiful-looking book.

Nighthawk #2: Wow. This is ON THE NOSE. Cops are killing black guys. There's a black serial killer killing white people who have been shitty to blacks (like a cash-for-kids judge right out of the newspaper) and a rich white guy who wants to make America great again. Solid book.

Comics: 738

Batgirl #1 (2016): Surprisingly decent. At SDCC Hope Larson gave off the vibe that she didn't have clue one on how to write Barbara Gordon, and didn't really care either. But the actual issue was perfectly decent.

Ms. Marvel #9 (2016): This has been the best arc in a while. Wilson's crushing it on this title.

Black Panther #4 (2016): Solid with an "Oh Shit" sort of ending.

Red Hood and the Outlaws Rebirth #1: I probably won't be reading this series. These Red Outlaw comics always suck. But Scott Lobdell gets Jason Todd in ways most writers don't. He gives him his necessary edge without overtly indulging in it, and establishes a strong and unique relationship between Bruce and Jason. For that alone, I really liked the issue.

Nightwing #1 (2016): This would've been good had I not read any Nightwing story ever before. And never heard of the character. And had no idea he used to be Robin of "Batman and". And wasn't a cliche'd phoned in "Dick Grayson by numbers" story if I've ever read one.

Batman #2 (2016): Similar to above, this was a very "This is how I think you tell a Batman story" in how obnoxiously over-competent he is throughout. It's not that Batman isn't super cool, but making that the point of every scene grates on people's nerves.

Batman #3 (2016): More of the same. "Gotham is so awful and do horrible and it's like living in a stinking hell" It's old. It's unoriginal. It's lazy storytelling. I think the Gotham and Gotham Girl story is interesting but it's also been done before too, only this time with superpowers. I' think I'm done with this title for a while.

Detective Comics #937: Pretty good. Nice return of the General from the old Robin comics.

Wonder Woman #3 (2016): Good stuff but I like the Year One issues better.

Batman: Cataclysm: Of all the major 90s Batman crossovers, this is the one I've read the least times. It's a story that doesn't strictly need to be kept in continuity, although it leads pretty directly into No Man's Land. As a Batman crossover, it's incredibly solid and indicative of the high quality of the Bat-Books during the O'Neil/Chuck Dixon run of the 90s that, let's face it, DC's been trying to regain for a while now. And for good reason. Every issue including the one-shots are solid. It truly is about the despair that Batman and the Bat-Family all feel in battling a natural disaster. The best issues come from Nightwing, who rushes back to Gotham and has the best perspective on things. In the second half of the story, a villain calling himself Quakemaster takes credit for the 7.6 earthquake that destroyed the city and threatens another for $100,000,000 dollars. So the sub-plot is finding out who the Quakemaster is and if he can really cause earthquakes. What I love about this is the true detective work everyone undertakes in learning the Quakemaster's true identity. It's a very cleverly written mystery and the solution makes perfect sense. Best of all, Tim Drake is the one to figure it out. This is simply an exemplary Batman story that I recommend among the likes of Knightfall and Contagion.

Northguard #1: Man, the design and base of these classic Canadian heroes is already set. Why the fuck can't they make a decent comic out of them anymore?

Nova #8: I REALLY love the angle of Nova's mom. She's such a great character and Nova's conflict between being Nova and not upsetting his mother is precarious and wonderful.

Plutona #5: This is going to make a great movie.

Renato Jones The One % #3: Beautiful.

Robin, Son of Batman #13: Okay way to end things.

Satan's Hollow #4: Could be sicker. I wish they'd REALLY go for it.

She Wolf #1: Terrible.

Sheriff of Babylon #8: I feel like they relied too much on the panel grids of one character talking on the phone for five straight pages.

Sons of the Devil #8: I'm done. This is fucking glacial.

Spider-Man #5: I don't get the motivation behind the villains. The oriignal Spider-Man is out of the country, so they want to murder his replacement that they've never met? I'd get it if it were like Green Goblin or Rhino or something, but Black Cat and Hammerhead?

Comics: 748

Superman #4: Not sure where it's headed and I want more of Lois Lane than attentive mother and wife, but the book has earned enough goodwill that I'm in despite my gripes.

Batman #4: They pulled the trigger too soon on Gotham going rogue, and it seems like it's all in the name of setting up the Monster Men crossover.

Detective Comics #937: This is the Tim Drake I know and love! It'll be interesting to see how this is resolved.

Squadron Supreme #8: LOVE this.

Squarriors vol 2 #1: This needs to be an epic animated trilogy of films. I adore this shit.

Suiciders Kings of HellLa #4: This is alright. It needs to do something bold soon.

Superman #1, 2: Love this. I love domestic stories of the Superman family.

Switch #4: Solid.

Tales form the Darkside #1: Off to a great start. I understand that these will all coexist in the same universe, so that's interesting. 

TMNT Bebop & Rocksteady #3-5: The art is great. The story's a fucking mess.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #59: Pretty good.

The Astonishing Ant-Man #9: Oof...getting a little rough.

The Black Hood #11: Interesting end. 

Comics: 761

Batman by Ed Brubaker (vol.1(?)): Collecting Batman #582-#586, #591-#594 and Batman: Our Worlds at War #1. The Post-NML, Pre-Bruce Wayne: MURDERER run of Batman by Brubaker with art by Scott McDaniel. It's solid stuff. Brubaker's voice for Batman is interesting in that it's slightly more humanized and vulnerable than I remember from when it first was coming out. It also sometimes clashes with McDnaiel's uncompromisingly grim design of the character. McDaniel's a great artist, but I think I enjoy his Nightwing work more even though both runs look exactly the same. I just appreciate Chuck Dixon's voice for that comic matching McDaniel's art. But Brubaker's run has a very 80s Gerry Conway feel to it. Several two-parters that help tell an overarching story over the course of a year involving new characters, the mob, the Penguin and Sasha Bordeaux, who was Greg Rucka's creation. There are a few steps missed in that the stories "Officer Down" and some vital issues of Detective are happening in the background, so in one issue Jim Gordon is the Commissioner, and the next it's Michael Akins. One issue, Sasha doesn't know Bruce's identity, by the end of the trade she does. It's still a fun snapshot of the Batman era from when I was in middle school. I loved the interspersed appearances by the Batman family, as they're very brief and utilized only when Batman needs them. Like one issue he brings in Tim on a simple threaten job simply to make sure he keeps himself in check. That's really cool. This was also early Cass Cain so she cameos now and then. Not my favorite Batman run era but there's nothing wrong with it.

Batman-Scarecrow: Year One: I might've posted about this in a previous thread, but I re-read this. It's always an interesting beast, having been written around the mid-to-late 2000s when Didio had set his claws into DC. Written by Bruce Jones and illustrated by Sean Murphy, it's a refreshing take on the first appearance of Jonathan Crane in that it has him appear after Dick Grayson is Robin. The MO for most flashback stories is to have all of the rogues gallery established before Haly's Circus sets foot in Gotham (Loeb). But originally, Dick was there for them all, even the Joker. Hence, this feels like an anomaly. The Bruce/Dick dynamic is also very interesting to read. It's not one I'd point to as normal, as Jones writes Bruce more of a dick than usual. Like, he's almost a bully. Dick's a wisecracker in a very Nightwing kind of way even though he's like 14 at the oldest. I don't love how Jones has the two written like a buddy-cop act, but I appreciate the dynamic in that the two really are partners. That's the thing with Robin, it wasn't always this sidekick thing where they were perennially inferior to Batman. Read the old stuff and it was Bruce and Dick doing the investigating together. So I liked that. Honestly, it reminded me of the Bruce and Tim dynamic from the animated series. Both are drawn to look like those designs.

The Dark Knight Returns The Last Crusade: terrible. Garbage.

The Flintstones #1: uhm...kind of fun, I guess. A little surprised by that.

The Mighty Thor #8: pretty solid.

The Punisher #3: not a new idea to saddle Punisher with a kid, but I like this arc.

The X-Files #3: fucking great.

Throwaways #1: not the best first issue.

Titans Rebirth #1: awful.

Uncanny X-Men #8,9: I look forward to when this Apocalypse War stuff is over.

Unfollow #9: great. Loved it.

Vote Loki #1,2: I liked this ok. I mean, they should subtitle it "On the Nose as Fuck" but it's kind of goofy fun. 

Comics: 773