Every film you've watched in 2021

Missy

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Death to 2020: this is a funny mockumentary by the guys who do Black Mirror. It's basically a roast of 2020 featuring Sam Jackson, Leslie Jones, Hugh Grant, Lisa Kudrow, Kumail Nanjiani, Tracey Ullman, the fucking hilarious Diane Morgan and quickly becoming my favourite actress: Cristin Milioti. Really fun. Only 70 minutes.

• Features: 1
  • Shorts: 0
  • Documentaries: 0
  • Rewatches: 0

Bill & Ted Face the Music - Saw this at a drive-in in the summer.  Still enjoyed it on rewatch.

New Mutants - I wasn't looking forward to this after the first trailer.  Seemed like it was a horror film.  I don't like horror.  I don't know what happened between that first trailer and the 17 years it took to release the film.  Well, reshoots, because this is nowhere near horror.  Instead, we get an incredibly boring movie.  The cast tried, but there was nothing in the script.  

I, Tonya: Margot Robbie is going to get her Oscar eventually. Just the way that she captures Tonya Harding in the film is wonderful!

Mank: It's Oscar Bait but at least somewhat interesting, especially any part with Amanda Seyfried.

Bridget Jones's Diary: It's a yearly tradition to watch this during January. Renee Zellweger is pretty good in it.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: Simple but beautiful. Also, to be commended for what it spawned.

Films: 4

So Close (2002): A Cory Yuen directed film about a pair of Hitwomen assassins and the genius cop trying to take them down. This is the same director of the Hey and Actor! classic, "Yes, Madam". It's more serious than that, but the action is completely bonkers. I loved it. Shu Qi is a goddess.

Lionheart: Van Damne classic which as it winded down made me remember I probably saw the last act of this on TV once. Perfectly fine. Standard early 90s action fare that's pretty by the numbers. Fight scenes aren't spectacular, but the different arenas were pretty cool, like a Squash room or an empty pool. 

On 1/2/2021 at 11:57 PM, Dread said:

Death to 2020: this is a funny mockumentary by the guys who do Black Mirror. It's basically a roast of 2020 featuring Sam Jackson, Leslie Jones, Hugh Grant, Lisa Kudrow, Kumail Nanjiani, Tracey Ullman, the fucking hilarious Diane Morgan and quickly becoming my favourite actress: Cristin Milioti. Really fun. Only 70 minutes.

Diane Morgan did similar schtick for Charlie Booker years beforehand, although her character there was known as Philomena Cunk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4vuUfnTEkg

Anecdotally, I was listening to the Cunk audiobook (an encyclopedia that she defines poorly) on my way in to work today. It's a bit UK-centric, and it's 5 hours long so the same type of joke once every 20 seconds for 5 hours does wear thin, but the best observations are legitimately very funny.

21 hours ago, slothian said:

Diane Morgan did similar schtick for Charlie Booker years beforehand, although her character there was known as Philomena Cunk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4vuUfnTEkg

Anecdotally, I was listening to the Cunk audiobook (an encyclopedia that she defines poorly) on my way in to work today. It's a bit UK-centric, and it's 5 hours long so the same type of joke once every 20 seconds for 5 hours does wear thin, but the best observations are legitimately very funny.

Cool. If she has the same accent and delivery, I'm in.

Musangwe Fight Club: this is a bland BBC documentary about a two-week stint every year in a tribal area of South Africa where men from either side of a river come and fight each other in bare-knuckle boxing matches. I found it intriguing, but honestly, got a little sick to my stomach when I discovered 11-12 year old boys were doing it too. Weird watch.

Like a Boss: The Tiffany Haddish/Rose Byrne movie. Salma Hayek was great, and I usually LOVE Haddish, but didn't enjoy this movie that much.

• Features: 2
  • Documentaries: 1

Fight Club: I haven't watched it in ages, but the bus wanted to. Davin was paying lots of attention, and when they're trolling support groups he asked "is she even real?" about HB Carter's character. He was on to something for sure. Haha! Amazingly well-edited movie. Norton's great. Very dated movie.

• Features: 3

The Witches of Eastwick: Funny enough Supernatural Comedy. Just with the four leads we had, I feel like it should have been epic but still pretty entertaining! Oh, and that John Williams score!

Pinocchio: Definitely a good follow-up to Snow White. Some of the animation is really good (See Monstro), characters get personality, and the plot is only kind of a meandering trip.

Films: 6

Psycho Goreman: holy hell, this is fun s fuck. Interview with writer/director in Monday's episode of DM.

The Void: co-written and co-directed by the same guy. One of there best horror films of the past decade. One of the best cosmic horror films of all-time.

Blade Trinity: Not only did I forget Patton Oswalt and Natasha Lyonne were in the film, but I also forgot that the last half of the movie is shot at a decommissioned floating McDonalds I ate at when I was six. Weird. Also, the movie isn't as bad as everyone (including me in the past) says about it. Don't get me wrong, it mostly sucks. But it's pretty fun at times. My boys liked it.

Lovebirds: watched this tonight with the gf. This is REALLY good. Sharp, funny as fuck script. Kumail Nanjiani and Issa Rae are great. Solid flick.

• Features: 7

17 hours ago, Dread said:

Blade Trinity: Not only did I forget Patton Oswalt and Natasha Lyonne were in the film, but I also forgot that the last half of the movie is shot at a decommissioned floating McDonalds I ate at when I was six. Weird. Also, the movie isn't as bad as everyone (including me in the past) says about it. Don't get me wrong, it mostly sucks. But it's pretty fun at times. My boys liked it.

Like most men, I worship at the shrine of Parker Posey and she is amazing in this film!

Wonder Woman 84 - A solid meh.  Plenty of little quibbles but overall I didn't think it was very entertaining for extended periods of time.  And being 2.5 hrs didn't help.

Batman: Soul of the Dragon - Standard DC animated movie.  It's okay.  No point in Batman being involved.  Someone wanted to make a Richard Dragon movie but knew that wouldn't sell so Batman was shoehorned in.  

Rocky IV: Showed this to Harry, generally my favorite Rocky film because it's so...what it is. The 90 minute runtime really made itself apparent this time around, with the severe padding during slow Rocky and Adrian scenes and let's see *counts on hand* FOUR montages and two musical numbers. Yeah there really isn't a lot of strict plot going on here. But the actors are so damn good. Apollo Creed get's wasted for the sake of the final fight, and he's really out of character blabbing vagaries about "THEM", but Carl Weathers is so damn likable you only sort of notice. Dolph Lundgren gives a perfect performance, underplaying what Harry postulated might've been an inspiration for Bane later on. My favorite character is Duke, who's in every Rocky-titled film and gives the best performance of the movie. I really wasn't around for the Cold War so all the cloak and dagger about surveillance reminded me of the Living Daylights. I still don't really connect with that sentiment of East vs West, but over 30 years later, it's still a mega-fun movie to watch because it's so shamelessly 80s and OTT. Also it has a robot. It's basically in the Kung Fury universe.

Batman: Soul of the Dragon: Straight up 70s era Denny O'Neil who at the time was obsessed with Jame Bond in his stories, as well as a solid adaptation of the Richard Dragon Kung-Fu comic series. As others have said, this really is not a Batman movie at all. He only suits up twice and doesn't carry to POV for the audience. That's a good thing, after dozens of Bat-Films, I like that the filmmakers knowingly Trojan-Horsed this to be a Richard Dragon story. It's not brilliant, there's a little padding with the flashbacks and the animation was a bit choppy at times. But the three mains from the Kung Fu comic are excellent, with this being the best Shiva portrayal since Young Justice season 3. I also liked how it ended like a 70s movie by throwing caution to the wind and just going crazy. 

It's weirdly un-intense for an "R" rated film though. Even Bruce Timm was surprised as they didn't intend for it to be. Dark Knight Returns was more violent than this. 

Blood Moon/Chopping Mall: reviews forthcoming

Whiplash: Jesus...Teller is amazing in this. So is Guttenberg. But JK Simmons acting is still sitting in my head this morning. It is one of the finest performances I've ever seen. Why did I not watch this sooner?

• Features: 10

I just saw Chopping Mall for the first time a few months ago. Hmm, wait. I might be mixing it up with Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama, which I know I saw because Linnea Quigley. But I think I saw CM in 2019. Anyway, looking forward to the coverage.

13 hours ago, The Master said:

I just saw Chopping Mall for the first time a few months ago. Hmm, wait. I might be mixing it up with Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama, which I know I saw because Linnea Quigley. But I think I saw CM in 2019. Anyway, looking forward to the coverage.

It's a gooder.

Biohazard: Degeneration/Biohazard: Damnation/Resident Evil: Vendetta: reviewed the three RE animated movies for the patreon supporters.

The Born Losers: review forthcoming

Shirley: look, they fictionalize the writing of Hangsaman with a script that is sometimes sloppy and rudderless. But I truly appreciate a biopic of Shirley Jackson that feels like one of her novels. It's a fun exercise that works probably better than it should. The performances in this are top-tier. Especially Elizabeth Moss. The score is INCREDIBLE. This is a best of year list contender for sure.

• Features: 15

Been bad with keeping up with things in this thread.

Pinocchio: In a lot of ways, this is an improvement over Snow White. Some of the animation is really good (See Monstro), characters get personality, and the plot is only kind of a meandering trip.

Wonder Woman: It's not a perfect film but definitely one of the best DC Comics films we've gotten. The No Man's Land sequence is one of the best action scenes in the last decade

Anastasia: Once Upon a Time: It's a fucking time travel film where Anastasia is saved from death by time traveling to the 80s. It's somehow worse than it sounds.

Wonder Woman 1984: It's not perfect but it's still a very fun film. Also, Cheetah is such a fun villain in the film and I really hope they use her in the sequel!

Before Sunrise: The romantic in me loved the film. I liked how it's just these two people connecting over the course of a single night.

Fantasia: The closest thing to experimental film that Disney gave us. Richly animated and the music choices are great to boot!

Dumbo: First kind of, "It's Okay" Disney film so far. It's not bad but the plot is barely there. Also, it would be nice if it had been a little more racially sensitive but I've also seen much worse from Animation of this age.

Booksmart: Still one of the smartest High-School sex comedies I have ever seen. Every part of the film is firing on all calendars! So many good performances also but Billie Lourde is just perfect in it at all points!

Before Sunset: Julie Delpy is the rockstar here. So much of the film is good but then you just have the entire scene of her and Ethan Hawke in the car and it's just one of the best performances I've ever seen! I fucking love this film!

Bambi: The music is good but the story is barely there and the animation has some moments where corners were cut. I can give or take it.

Josie and the Pussycats: Lovingly self-aware, just bizarre enough, and it has literal living goddess Parker Posey! Just a pretty good film!

Films: 17

Billy Jack/The Trial of Billy Jack/Billy Jack Goes to Washington: reviews forthcoming.

Rivers and Roads: The Head and the Heart Live From Pike Place: this is a documentary/performance film about my girlfriend's favourite band. It's like The Last Waltz-style presentation (not so deep on the interviews) with the added awkwardness of a former band member being interviewed. Pretty good. We're watching Some Kind of Monster next. Haha!

• Features: 18
  • Documentaries: 2

Robocop: It makes no sense that the ED-209 growls, or that it squeals when knocked over. That said, fun action romp, heavy on satire. Not nearly as heavy handed as the reboot, which took itself FAR too seriously.

Captain America (1990) - Somewhere between below average to bad, with a healthy dose of being boring for a while.  I enjoyed the Reb Brown films more.

Fantastic Four (1993) - Is it good?  No.  But it has a charm to it.  It looks like a cheap made-for-tv movie, but even a cheap one of those.  And it even plays out like one.  It sets up two reoccurring villains, bumbling comedic henchmen, and a couple supporting characters.  This would not have felt out of place opposite the 1990 Flash.  (But it feels outdated compared to Lois & Clark, which was made the same year. Which is weird as they both were only made 3 years after The Flash.)

Saludos Amigos: It's the first of Disney's Package Films. It's pretty average.

Scoob!: It's okay, nothing special. Like, it's transparently yet another attempt to create a cinematic universe and, as a result, most of Mystery Inc feels like extras in their own film.

Push: I like this film for the potential it held than for the film itself. The world is more interesting than the film itself but the stars still do a fairly decent job with what they got.

Groundhog Day: One of my absolute favorite films. It's funny, well-directed, just great on so many levels! Billy Murray deserves all the praise but special praise goes to Andie MacDowell as well! I love the perfect run at the end!

Teen Titans Go! vs Teen Titans: It's cute enough though the two animation styles never quite mesh. Still, the voice acting is more than enough to make it amusing. I guess your enjoyment comes down to how much you care for TTG.

Mayhem: You really cringe seeing how fast the virus spreads in the film. Other than that, it's a fun film, very violent, and Steven Yeun and Samara Weaving are just perfection!

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory: It's a classic for a reason. It's whimsical, the songs are great, full of imagination, and you can tell people are having fun.

Happy Death Day: It's a fun take on the Groundhog Day formula. I always have fun with Time Loop films but just the way it works and also the twist during The Perfect Run are a big factor in why this is one of my favorite slashers.

Clue: One of the all-time great comedies of all time! Also, one of the hand full of films that I can quote from memory. Madeline Khan is just all kinds of perfect in the film. Tim Curry is also pretty damn good!

Films: 26

I'm missing a movie that I watched before the one below but I can't remember for the life of me. 

Get Him To The Greek: youngest wanted to watch Hangover III AGAIN, but this movie came up in the Netflix search so i pulled an audible and we watched this instead. I think it's a great example of Jonah Hill being possibly the greatest straight-man in modern comedy and Brand, who I don't really like, is great as a rock star. Elizabeth Moss is delightful in an early role and O'Brien from TNG/DS9 is great too.

• Features: 19
  • Documentaries: 2

On 2/10/2021 at 8:56 PM, Dread said:

Get Him To The Greek: youngest wanted to watch Hangover III AGAIN, but this movie came up in the Netflix search so i pulled an audible and we watched this instead. I think it's a great example of Jonah Hill being possibly the greatest straight-man in modern comedy and Brand, who I don't really like, is great as a rock star. Elizabeth Moss is delightful in an early role and O'Brien from TNG/DS9 is great too.

I believe that was the last soundtrack I purchased. 

Fantastic Four (2015) - There are things to like in here.  It just buried under a pretty uneventful script.  Don't think it quite deserves the negative reputation that it has.