See No Evil

Missy

• 4 weeks later...
Click to see the trailer.

From what's been shown, the film looks like nothing special. However, Kane looks awesome!

I see a huge crossover storyline on Raw soon. I don't know if it's a good idea for the WWE to get into movies though. They are holding back their stars by making them play roles as their characters. They could have at least billed him as his real name. Are they afraid people will start leaving like the Rock did?

• 3 weeks later...
They are holding back their stars by making them play roles as their characters. They could have at least billed him as his real name.

I agree. It makes the company look really stupid to list them by their character's name. I mean, really: you didn't see Pierce Brosnan listed as Remington Steele.

:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sorry--I know most people won't agree with me on this, but I think this movie looks surprisingly good. Not saying it WILL be good, but I'll be seeing it.

It's a trailer, created by the same production team that crafts the very same promotional vignettes you see on RAW every week. They could craft a twenty minute scene of flies festering on a pile of dog crap into something totally amazing.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
They are holding back their stars by making them play roles as their characters. They could have at least billed him as his real name.

I agree. It makes the company look really stupid to list them by their character's name. I mean, really: you didn't see Pierce Brosnan listed as Remington Steele.

:rolleyes:

But the WWE produced the film and using brand recognition they promoted the film. It's kind of the same reason The Rock still gets billed as The Rock and not Dwayne Johnson. It's also why The Rock resigned with WWE, despite him not wrestling a whole lot anymore. The WWE owns the rights to the name. People know the name Kane, they don't know who Glen Jacobs is. Do you really think Glen Jacobs would get top billing for a horror film? I don't.

See No Evil had very little buzz around it to begin with but with Kane attached to it the film made money ($8 million production budget, currently just under $15 million box office take). I don't know if the same could be said about it if it was not billed with Kane as the star. All speculation of course but....

It's kind of the same reason The Rock still gets billed as The Rock and not Dwayne Johnson. It's also why The Rock resigned with WWE, despite him not wrestling a whole lot anymore. The WWE owns the rights to the name.

Actually he bought the rights to the name "The Rock" off of the WWE.

The WWE owns the rights to the name. People know the name Kane, they don't know who Glen Jacobs is. Do you really think Glen Jacobs would get top billing for a horror film? I don't.

See No Evil had very little buzz around it to begin with but with Kane attached to it the film made money ($8 million production budget, currently just under $15 million box office take). I don't know if the same could be said about it if it was not billed with Kane as the star. All speculation of course but....

But in reality, how many people know who "Kane" is?

The Angry German has a very good column a while back on wrestling video games. Basically, the point was that the video game market is much bigger than the wrestling market, and by making good video games WWE (or other promotions) can get video gamers interested in their product. The movie industry is certainly a lot bigger than the wrestling industry, so the obvious strategery here should be to make good movies. Perhaps people not at all interrested in wrestling will tune in on Monday or Friday night to see the guy they saw at the local Showplace 12.

The Angry German has a very good column a while back on wrestling video games. Basically, the point was that the video game market is much bigger than the wrestling market, and by making good video games WWE (or other promotions) can get video gamers interested in their product. The movie industry is certainly a lot bigger than the wrestling industry, so the obvious strategery here should be to make good movies. Perhaps people not at all interrested in wrestling will tune in on Monday or Friday night to see the guy they saw at the local Showplace 12.

Good point, it does work both ways.

I guess my main point is that WWE's main goal should not be to get people who watch wrestling to see their movie, the main goal should be to get people who do not watch wrestling to go see the movie. Using the character's name detracts from that goal, IMO.