Nintendo at E3

JackFetch

This conference is for people with short attention spans. A lot of flash, loud music, jump cuts showing gameplay. I have to start off by saying that alot of the games they showed had really bad graphics. I know they aren't in the race for next gen, but a lot of them looked worse than the GameCube.

Red Steel footage is shown. I'm going to get so tired playing this game, and I hope nobody sneaks up on me while playing it. I'll probably hit them in the face with the Wiimote by accident.

The Wii will be out the 4th quarter of 2006. They won't give the date or price yet.

They show a quick clip of a game where you clean the house. WTF?

They talk about Zelda, and it will be out on launch day of the Wii. They actually play it on stage. The controls for shooting arrows look awsome. There is a speaker in the Wiimote that plays the sound of the string being pulled and other things. There will be 2 different versions of the new Zelda game. One for the Wii, and one for Gamecube.

They announce Super Mario Galaxies. A strange Mario game that take place on platforms in space. The graphics look just like Sunshine.

There is an exclusive Mario game for the Wii.

They talk about the DS, and the DS Lite. The new Tony Hawk game for it will have voice over I.P.

they pick the winner of some contst to be the first person to play the Wii in public, and play tennis on stage with him. The tennis game has horrible graphics, like Lego people, but they seem to be having fun.

Overall, it was alot of flash and noise, but no price or date is a letdown. The Wii looks like fun, but not long term fun.

From IGN:

E3 2006: Nintendo Hints at Game Boy's End

Is the longest-running system ever on its last leg?

by Daemon Hatfield

May 11, 2006 - In an interview with Reuter's yesterday, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata said there may not be a successor to the Game Boy Advance.

"I would have a second thought about using our resources on what would be the next generation of Game Boy Advance, considering the strong support DS is now enjoying," Iwata said. "The Japanese game market is now evolving around DS. We don't need to do something that will pour cold water on the situation."

The news is significant as the Game Boy is the longest-running game system ever. Launched in 1989, the Boy and its many iterations have sold over 120 million units.

At its E3 booth this year, Nintendo is not showing any Game Boy or Gamecube games.

I thought they were supporting both until the gba was fazed out, kind of like what they did with the GBA/GB where they had both on the market at the same time for a little over a year slowly having the GBA overtake the gameboy. The news makes sense though, it seems silly that they would even contemplate having a DS on the market and releasing a GBA2.

The Game Boy Micro is the last in the line of Game Boys. What a horrible way to go out. An over priced, not needed version. I thought it would be $59 when it came out, but I forgot that Nintendo uses the Apple approach to pricing. Why make a profit, when we can make a huge profit? That's why I think the Wii will be a little more than everyone thinks.

The Game Boy Micro is the last in the line of Game Boys. What a horrible way to go out. An over priced, not needed version. I thought it would be $59 when it came out, but I forgot that Nintendo uses the Apple approach to pricing. Why make a profit, when we can make a huge profit? That's why I think the Wii will be a little more than everyone thinks.

I believe that to. When your competitors consoles cost 4-600 dollars, there's no incentive to come to the market at 150-200 like most people think the price will be. If Nintendo releases it for 300, they can still tout the fact that it is the least expensive.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/704/704875p1.html

DS Lite in June

It's official: brighter, smaller, sleeker to hit next month for $129.99.

by Craig Harris

May 4, 2006 - Nintendo of America revealed today that it will launch the redesigned Nintendo DS Lite system this June 11th. When it lands on shelves next month, the DS Lite will ship in one color -- Polar White -- and retail for 129.99, the same price as current Nintendo DS systems.

The system's been available in ridiculously short supply in Japan territories since March, and that short supply may have affected when Nintendo of America could appease the stateside audience.

The changes to the Nintendo DS standard with the Nintendo DS Lite include a 20 percent smaller build as well as a smoother and sleeker body shape. The Start and select buttons and the power switch have been shifted around to new locations, and the stylus has been increased in size with a new storage location. Most importantly, though, the DS Lite features newer, brighter LCD screens with four levels of brightness settings.

Nintendo has not revealed if it plans on reducing the price on the existing Nintendo DS systems, or if the DS Lite will fully replace it in retail stores when it ships in June.

Yeah, Snake's wonderful, but I'm actually more psyched for METAKNIGHT!1!~!

Yeah, Metaknight looks awesome, too. Actually, so does Pit from Kid Icarus. This game is going to own on so many levels.

If you all haven't seen the trailer for the game yet, you need to. It's hilarious and action-packed at the same time.

Am I the only one really annoyed by Zero Suit Samus? It was a love-hate relationship part of the game for me. The stealth-action was fun, but you were so poorly armed, there were some situations where neither fight or flight worked. I ended up getting killed, a lot (expessialy on hard mode). Honestly, how do that think they can make her effective with just that GODAWFUL stun pistol. Hate... stun... pistol...

[/end rant]

Well, then again, if they can make Ice Climbers work, anything's possible.

Am I the only one really annoyed by Zero Suit Samus? It was a love-hate relationship part of the game for me. The stealth-action was fun, but you were so poorly armed, there were some situations where neither fight or flight worked. I ended up getting killed, a lot (expessialy on hard mode). Honestly, how do that think they can make her effective with just that GODAWFUL stun pistol. Hate... stun... pistol...

Bah, you use Jigglypuff all the time and kick almost anyone's ass. :P Zero Suit Samus will be fine, although I wonder what her third jump will be, since the screw attack was part of the suit.

I'm wondering how many people are even going to know Pit, or have ever experienced the greatness of Kid Icarus.

I had, but I was so young I can't even remember anything about it.

I think that's going to be a problem for the Wii. Sure gamers like us will love being able to play games from the past, both I think both ends of the spectrum won't go for it. The "hardcore" gamers already have emulators on their computer where they can download the games for free rather than paying Nitendo, and on the other end, the newer gamers, especially younger ones, I don't see really giving a fuck about being able to play old games with "outdated" graphics.

younger ones, I don't see really giving a fuck about being able to play old games with "outdated" graphics.

But they might see it as retro coolness.

Oldschool rulz!!!!

Sriously though, I just remember when EGM got 10 kids ranging from ages 8-13 and had them play old games, and they were all saying, "This is boring, theses graphics suck, this game goes to slow, etc." If memory serves correct one kid even said something along the lines of,"You don't even get to kill anyone in this game, how gay."

Oldschool rulz!!!!

Sriously though, I just remember when EGM got 10 kids ranging from ages 8-13 and had them play old games, and they were all saying, "This is boring, theses graphics suck, this game goes to slow, etc." If memory serves correct one kid even said something along the lines of,"You don't even get to kill anyone in this game, how gay."

Put in perspective, that sounds about right. I remember playing the Pitfall on Atari when I was a kid and being amazed. I felt the same way when I played the first Zelda, then again with Mortal Kombat. Kids aren't going to like older games that they didn't grow up with because they weren't there when it was the best there was. They have these amazing games with amazing graphics, why would they want to play Frogger? I know I wouldn't if I never played it growing up.

Oldschool rulz!!!!

Put in perspective, that sounds about right. I remember playing the Pitfall on Atari when I was a kid and being amazed. I felt the same way when I played the first Zelda, then again with Mortal Kombat. Kids aren't going to like older games that they didn't grow up with because they weren't there when it was the best there was. They have these amazing games with amazing graphics, why would they want to play Frogger? I know I wouldn't if I never played it growing up.

Exactly. Alot of people are picking the Wii as going to be the champion of the next generation, citing the downloading games as one of the reasons. I think you summed it up perfectly, the young gamers really aren't going to care about it. I think gamers like myself, who don't care enough to put an emulator on their computers, so downloading games on the Wii is a neat concept, are going to be in the minority.