The Flash

Missy

The latest rumors indicate that he wants to cast Ryan Reynolds, and that they'll go with the Wally West incarnation of The Flash.

Hahaha, you fucking wish.

Blade: Trinity writer/director and Batman Begins writer David Goyer has committed to write, produce and direct a feature adaptation of DC Comics' The Flash for Warner Bros. Pictures.

Created by Gardner Fox and Harry Lampert, the Flash first appeared in DC Comics late in 1939. He's the alter ego of chemistry student Jason Peter "Jay" Garrick, an aspiring athlete whose exposure to heavy water fumes gives him the ability to move at incredible speeds.

"'Flash' is my favorite of the properties," said Goyer, "I think the character of the Flash, who moves faster than the speed of light, opens itself up to rich cinematic and story ideas."

• 6 months later...

Writer/Director David Goyer recently said:

Fans know there's been more than one Flash over the years.  There's been a lot of speculation and rumor, but both Barry Allen and Wally West will be in this movie.

We're going to go into the Speed Force and a lot of the cosmic aspects of the character from the more recent past.  Trust me, we're going to do a lot more than have the Flash run on water and create vortexes.  I have a guy from M.I.T. helping me with all of this. We're going to be playing with relativity, Doppler effects and all kinds of things like that. Audiences will be amazed.

Sounds cool.

• 1 year later...
On the same day that Joss Whedon announced he is no longer involved with the Wonder Woman movie at Warner Bros., David Goyer has revealed at his Blog that he is not writing and directing The Flash at the studio anymore either:

Well, I've been waiting a few months to relate this news -- but I am sad to say that my version of The Flash is dead at WB. The God's honest truth is that WB and myself simply couldn't agree on what would make for a cool Flash film. I'm quite proud of the screenplay I turned it. I threw my heart into it and I genuinely think it would've been the basis of a ground-breaking film. But as of now, the studio is heading off in a completely different direction. I expect you'll hear of some new developments on that front shortly.

But in happier news, I'll soon be able to report on what I've been doing INSTEAD of The Flash. Stay tuned.

David Goyer had wanted his Blade: Trinity star Ryan Reynolds to star in the title role.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=5175

edit: Of course I find the Flash thread after I post this. Please merge it.

MOD EDIT: Done.

--James

I'm confused.

Batman begins wasn't a typical WB type movie, but they went with that. Now in a short space of time they have nipped 2 developments in the head to "go in another direction". I eagerly await news from WB on what is going on with these 2 movies.

I wish this had gone ahead, Ryan Reynolds would have been awesome as Wally, totally awesome...

Very interesting stuff.

David Goyer Talks More Flash

Source:Advanced Dark

February 5, 2007

Former The Flash writer/director David Goyer has posted another note about the project and more on his official Blog. He also mentions that one of his upcoming projects is in the DC Universe:

Attempted to post a bit more about The Flash and it appears to have disappeared. Well, in any event, just wanted to say thanks to all of you who've expressed their regrets, etc.

To be honest, when WB first approached me about doing The Flash, it seemed a little too good to be true. A part of me thought they'd never really make a movie like that. For the record, the script did involve both Barry and Wally as The Flash. I wanted to showcase the legacy aspect of the hero -- as that was something that hadn't been explored yet in film. Like Batman Begins, the script drew on some seminal comicbook runs (Mike Baron, Mark Waid, Geoff Johns).

There have been other super-hero scripts of mine that fell by the wayside. An R-rated Ghost Rider script that Stephen Norrington was going to direct. A horror-centric Doctor Strange script for Sony (which portrayed Mordo and Dormammu in a very Lovecraftian light). Even a pretty crappy Venom/Carnage script that I got roped into writing for New Line!

Andy Walkers script for Batman/Superman was great. And I'm sure Whedon's Wonder Woman is pretty damn cool as well.

The truth is, I've had a remarkably good track record with these kinds of films so far, so I don't have a lot to complain about. My peers and I are well-compensated for what we do. We're essentially living the dream we'd envisioned when we were kids. Now we get to meet and work with people we viewed as roll models and heroes.

Just the other day I had lunch with Wendy & Richard Pini, the creators of Elfquest. (And I can remember buying their very first issue back in 1978 when I was just thirteen). I got to have dinner with Neal Adams before the Batman Begins premiere. Work with the likes of Stan Lee and Mike Mignola.

In the coming weeks I'll post a bit more on the projects I've been working on since the Flash's demise. (One of them takes place in the DC Universe.) Until then...

http://superherohype.com/news.php?id=5184

• 6 months later...
MTV caught up with Ryan Reynolds, who has been mentioned often as a frontrunner for The Flash. In the quotes, he leaves the door open that he might be involved with the Justice League of America movie instead of a standalone flick:

I don't really know how much I'm allowed to talk about that stuff. But I'm sure they'll figure out something. It's no secret that they have a JLA script and it's a project that's in development – the contents of which, who knows. We'll see."

• 2 months later...
MTV learned on Saturday at the junket for director David Dobkin's Fred Claus that Warner Bros. has signed the helmer for The Flash. Shawn Levy (Night at the Museum) and David Goyer ("Blade" films) were previously attached to direct.

Dobkin (Wedding Crashers) says his adaptation won't be the character's first appearance in theaters, with the Flash a major part of George Miller's Justice League movie. Dobkin confirmed that his movie will be set in the same universe as Justice League as a direct spin-off.

He added that the Flash they will use is "Wally West."

Created by writer Gardner Fox and artist Harry Lampert, The Flash has the ability to run and move extremely fast, use superhuman reflexes and violate certain laws of physics, like time travel.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6456

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Ehh. I've not much liked his work on Flash: Rebirth, so if it's anything like that, I'm wary. However, he's done a good job with Green Lanern to this point, so I'm interested in seeing what he comes up with.

He also had a very long and successful run on Flash with Wally. Don't worry, few get the Flash like Johns does. Maybe no one but Mark Waid.