Superman: Doomsday

RSS

It has been a long time since I can remember a DC animated movie being hyped as much as Superman: Doomsday. It isn't often that a non-Disney direct-to-DVD animated movie is as advertised as this one has been. But it also isn't hard to see why DC put so much hype behind this movie. Bruce Timm produced it, they got Adam Baldwin, Anne Heche and James Marsters to play the three biggest roles in the film, and they went so far as to make it violent and crass enough to be rated PG-13 - a first for any animated Superman feature. Plus, look at the title - Superman: Doomsday. This is an animated movie that is based off of the best-selling graphic novel of all time. Why wouldn't DC and Warner Brothers want to hype it to the utmost? However, as is so often the case, the problem with over-hyping a movie is exactly what one would expect - it is immensely hard to live up to said hype.

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/reviews/m/superman-doomsday

This is likely going to be the last Tranquil Tirades column until January. I'm going to make these a monthly venture from now on. I just have far too much on my plate, especially with me going back to school in January after two years' hiatus, to try and do these every two weeks and keep them at the personal high standard of writing I set for myself. As you can see, I couldn't even consistently do them every two weeks now. I think with me doing them once a month, it'll give me more time to get them as close to "TT: Double Dragon" quality as possible every time.

Just as a teaser, my next TT review (which I have already started) will be done in the "10 Questions" format. (Hi Mike!!) :angel:

That was a huge editorial blunder on my part! The Daily Bugle is Spider-Man's newspaper. Clark, Lois, Jimmy and Perry all work for the Daily Planet. Ugh! Sorry for not catching that... twice! :doh:

The Planet is a respectable newspaper, by the way. The Bugle, not so much.

• 5 weeks later...

This film was most certainly overhyped. It was a big thing, because it was the first DC Animated movie to get a PG-13(which Return of the Joker almost got until trimmed down). When I finally bought the film, I was very excited. I already had the expectation that it wouldn't as memorable as the series itself, I mean at under 80 minutes, putting together a collection of time honored stories together is hard if your only going to do 1 movie. The biggest problem I had, was not the voice acting(although it did get irritating sometimes), it wasn't the animation(although, the 50 year old Superman was bad). It was that this was Produced by Bruce W. Timm! The man who helped give us 15 years worth of great animation.

This is also based off of one of the greatest, if not THE greatest stories of all of DC Comic history, The Death of Superman and The Reign of the Supermen. This should have been delt with a bit more respect. I am still looking forward to Justice League: New Frontier, which looks like it will be a better film. I did like the look of The Toyman, it's kind of hard to determine which is more of a creepy look. Superman: TAS look or Superman: Doomsday look.

5 out of 10, the fights were pretty good, but damn how many citizens were killed in the fights, lol.