Robinson Crusoe series on NBC

JackFetch

NBC has ordered 13 episodes of "Robinson Crusoe," a drama series based on Daniel Defoe's classic novel, and plans to launch it this fall or mid-season 2009, depending on whether there will be an actors strike in the summer.

The Hollywood Reporter says "Crusoe" will be an "adrenaline-charged version" of the 1719 novel with a contemporary feel and voice, including a 21st century take on race relations, but it will be a period drama, taking place in the 17th century when the book is set.

"It's part 'MacGyver,' part contemporary morality tale about race and personal discovery, part comedy and part 'Cast Away' meets 'Survivor,"' Silverman said.

Like the novel, NBC's series will center on Crusoe and his relationship with his loyal servant Friday. But in addition to their adventures overcoming marauding militias, hungry cannibals, wild cats, starvation and apocalyptic lightning storms described in the book, the series will introduce additional characters and elements, including a MacGyver-like knack of the lead character for making handy tools and devices out of common items.

In keeping with the main character's British roots, the title role probably will likely be played by a U.K. actor, although an Australian also is a possibility. Australia is being eyed as a shooting location.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=42332

I don't know about this. It could be really good, but I doubt it will be.

"It's part 'MacGyver,' part contemporary morality tale about race and personal discovery, part comedy and part 'Cast Away' meets 'Survivor,"' Silverman said.

I love that part. It's like they just took a bunch of random shit, threw it together and made a show. I bet they had a wheel with a bunch of words on it to create a description.

I love that part. It's like they just took a bunch of random shit, threw it together and made a show. I bet they had a wheel with a bunch of words on it to create a description.

I'm seing the "manatees-in-a-tank-pointing-at-balls" strategy a work here.

There's just no part of this pitch that doesn't smack of desperation and wrongheadedness. They're anxious to latch onto the hot new trend of 2004. Ben Silverman, The Man Who Will Save NBC, is clearly losing his mind in full view of the public.

• 2 months later...
Sam Neill, Sean Bean and Joss Ackland have joined the cast of NBC's action series "Crusoe."

The project, based on Daniel Defoe's novel, chronicles the adventures of the dashing and resourceful castaway Crusoe (Philip Winchester) and his companion Friday on a desert island while looking in flashbacks at Crusoe's life before he embarked on the ill-fated voyage.

Among the flashbacks are Crusoe's tragic childhood with widower father. James (Bean), the relationship with the love of his life, Susannah (Anna Walton), and his efforts to launch a business under the watchful eye of family friend, Jeremiah Blackthorn (Neill).

"Crusoe," written by Stephen Gallagher ("Eleventh Hour") and directed by Duane Clark ("CSI: NY"), will be filmed in the U.K., South Africa and the Seychelles.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...204e4eda9c547ab

At least they got some established talent.