The Bourne Legacy

JackFetch

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
There's barely enough Jeremy Renner to go around.

The Hurt Locker star, who was also Oscar nominated for his work in The Town last year, has been handed an offer for the starring role in Tony Gilroy's The Bourne Legacy. Gilroy, who wrote or co-wrote the first three films in Universal's Bourne saga, has been testing actors for the last few weeks to play a brand new lead character distinct from Matt Damon's Jason Bourne (Damon isn't returning). But Renner is the guy everybody wants right now.

The problem, as always, is scheduling. It took a while to work out his ability to star in Paramount's Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters, which he's shooting now for a March release. That followed filming his role in Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, also for Paramount, which hits theaters in December.

Then there's the little movie The Avengers, in which he plays Hawkeye for Marvel Studios and Disney. That comes out in May next year, but audiences will get a sneak peek at him in Thor, which Paramount hammers into theaters in two weeks to kick off the summer. Avengers starts shooting soon and will continue filming into August and September with Joss Whedon at the helm and a slew of other superheroes on set.

But Renner had been considering starring opposite Eric Bana in Sheldon Turner's revenge thriller By Virtue Fall in the fall. It's a project Renner has been flirting with for most of the last year. Now it looks like he will instead jump from Avengers right into his third (!!) potential franchise with Bourne, then shoot Virtue after the New Year.

Given his packed schedule, Renner, who's repped by CAA and Untitled, may need to be superhuman after all.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/risky-business/jeremy-renner-firming-up-starring-181204?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thr%2Ffilm+%28The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+Movies%29

No Matt Damon makes me sad.

• 8 months later...
"This is not a reboot or a recast or a prequel. No one's replacing Matt Damon. There will be a whole new hero, a whole new chapter...this is a stand-alone project," said director Tony Gilroy. "The easiest way to think of it is an expansion or a reveal," Gilroy added. "Jason Bourne will not be in this film, but he's very much alive. What happened in the first three films is the trigger for what happens. I'm building a legend and an environment and a wider conspiracy... the world we're making enhances and advances and invites Jason Bourne's return [down the road]."

bournepostercine.th.jpg

5d08e05324e63451large.jpg

I'm fine with this. It's the scriptwriter for the first three films directing and he's not a newbie in the chair, he also wrote and directed Michael Clayton which I thought was excellent. Renner is a great presence on screen too, he's the guy I'd have picked for this franchise to continue with. If the film is good enough I'd like Damon to return for another sequel at a later date once Renner's character is established, but it wouldn't be essential.

• 4 weeks later...