Is It Wednesday Yet?

RSS

I just noticed how embarrassingly short my reviews are compared to Dan's and Drq's. I really need to get off my ass.

And I thought I had it bad with Cable, then I saw that Dan got Punisher War Journal... :shakehead:

Just because Howard Chaykin used to be good (or so I hear; I'm mostly unfamiliar with his body of work), doesn't mean he's still good. All of his recent Marvel work has been crap, frankly, and deserves the panning it gets.

Omega is unreadable, as far as I'm concerned. Maybe as a collection it'll be great, but as monthly installments it's trying way too hard to be indy-cool.

For the record I want to state that the IIWY? writers have all come to the same conclusion about Chaykin and Omega. There is no editorial interference or site-wide decree forcing them to claim something they don't believe. Down the line, if someone wants to write a positive review of Chaykin's artwork or an issue of Omega, I'll gladly publish it.

Chaykin actually blew me away with his aeronautical work in "The First Flight of the Phantom Eagle," but the rest of his recent artwork, especially his godawful stretch on Wolverine, made me want to scream.

There's an old saying in drawing instruction: for every line you add to a character's face, a year is added to that character's life. By that rule, every character in this book is roughly three centuries old.

That got a legitimate laugh out of me. Awesome.

For the record I want to state that the IIWY? writers have all come to the same conclusion about Chaykin and Omega. There is no editorial interference or site-wide decree forcing them to claim something they don't believe. Down the line, if someone wants to write a positive review of Chaykin's artwork or an issue of Omega, I'll gladly publish it.

I didn't actually dislike the issue of Omega I did last month. I would be more than willing to look at the trade once it comes out and judge it on its own merits. However, as a single issue it was confusing and weird, especially with the utter refusal by Marvel, or the writer, or whoever, to have a recap page. A recap page would make a lot of complaints go away.

And Chaykin used to be really, really exciting. Now everything he draws is a mess. I actually feel exactly the same way about Frank Miller, and that's who Chaykin's art in this book reminds me of - in a not at all good way.

DW: Truth be told, I was on the fence. It made me laugh, but there's that "how many people are going to get it?" factor. In the end, anyone who doesn't "get it" can Google it. Had I not known "Bees. My God." was a real line, if I still thought Luke's avatar was manipulated, it would have been cut.

Dan: We'll see. :P

Avi Arad?

Dan Buckley?

Damn it man, give me something. Someone has to be the personification of the comic industry's willingness to take a fanboy, hold him upside down, and shake him till all his money falls out.