Favorite / Best: Chris Columbus

Missy

Favorite / Best: Chris Columbus  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

While I tend to think of Chris Columbus as a shit sculptor, I still get giddy thinking of Adventures in Babysitting and Doubtfire as his best. It's difficult to do a good comedy directed with someone playing two roles and that was pulled off well.

I went for Chamber of Secrets for both options, since not only do I really like it, but Columbus did a great job of translating the more sinister aspects while still making it a great adventure for kids. And I'm really just a big kid.

Chamber of Secrets and Mrs. Doubtfire. I don't have the hate for the man that a lot of the Internet seems to, but as a director he's really just competent at best.

Still, the man wrote Gremlins and The Goonies, and that's good enough for me.

Wow, haven't seen one of these in a while. Well with a lot of choices to choose from, here are my reviews. While, I think Chris Columbus has given us some amazing films, I haven't seen them all.

The Adventures in Babysitting (1987)

I only saw this film once, I was in a kind of bored mood and just put it on to pass the time. I noticed Elisabeth Shue(The Karate Kid, Back to the Future II & III and Leaving Las Vegas)was in the film, so I kept it on. It was a decent type of film. But it didn't strike as a film to watch over again. I won't rate this one, simply because I need to view it again. When I do, if I can find this particular forum, I will update it.

Heartbreak Hotel(1988)-Also Writer

Never seen it, will have to view it, before making a judgment, sorry

Home Alone (1990)

Classic family film for Christmas. It made Macauley Culken a star and furthered other great actors careers for a while longer. The setting is the typical rich Chicago setting, with John Heard and Catherine O'Hara as the head parents and great performances by Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern. Kieren Culken(Macauley Culken's younger brother)is here as his cousin and John Candy(who co-starred previously with Macauley in Uncle Buck)has a cameo as a Poka(or Poca)player. I give this film 6 out of 10

Only the Lonely (1991)

I haven't seen thi film either, another I have to add to my list. I did however see the Morisa Tomei and Robert Downry Jr film with the same name.

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (1992)-Also has a cameo

The entire cast is back from the original and once again they manage to lose Kevin again, what are the odds? Also included in this film are some new and old famous faces. Tim Curry, Rob Shneider, Brenda Fricker, Dana Ivey and Eddie Bracken. Although, the pranks are new and the setting is much bigger, it still manages to give some great laughs and even set a moral lesson about the holiday season. I will give this film 5.5 out of 10, its still not as good as the original, but it works anyway. Avoid parts 4 and 5, and watch 3 with caution.

Mrs. Doubtfire (1995)

Another one of Robin Williams best films. I saw this film in the theaters and can still laugh every time I watch it. Sally Field and Pierce Bronson are wonderful in this film as the ex-wife and new love interest. The kids are great, especially with the adorable Mara Watson in the role of the youngest child(this was my generations Dakota Fanning, smart and mature for such a young age). This is a must for anyone who likes Chris Columbus or Robin Williams. I will give this 7 out of 10

Nine Months (1995)-Also Producer and Guest Appearance

Another funny comedy with Cloumbus at the helm. The film is essentially a remake of the French 1994 film Neuf mois by Patrick Braoudé. Julianne Moore and Hugh Grant are the couple in the film who are expecting and they are hilarious, while at the same time playing it straight. With Joan Cusack and Tom "still married to Roseanne" Arnold as the friendly, but at time crazy and annoying friends who are also expecting. Jeff Goldblum has a great role as Hugh Grant's bachelor best friend, while Robin Williams makes another Chris Columbus film appearance as the new parents foreign doctor. If you haven't seen this film. I urge you to see it. I voted this as my favorite of his films. 9 out of 10.

Stepmom(1998)-Also Produced

Excellent Film, maybe one of his best. Susan Srandon plays a divorcee who begins play with her ex-husbands new much younger wife played by Ed Harris and Julia Roberts respectively. As the film progresses and we see a more serious side to the story, the two women come together to understand help one another as they are both mother's to the children and love them equally. Great storytelling, from a director who has done nothing but comedies. 8 out of 10.

Bicentennial Man (1999)-Producer also

One of my favorite Robin Williams films, not to mention, just an all around great film. Based on the second book in a trilogy by Isaac Asimov with the same title. It has a similar set-piece that Steven Spielberg's A.I: Artificial Intelligeance had(a robot with an unusual human emotion). The cast around Robin Williams, works really well to help the story move along. Sam Niel, Oliver Platt, Halie Kate Eisenberg(aka The Pepsi girl), Embeth Davidtz(in dual roles)all filled in their roles with decency. It had a decent music video too by Celine Dion(yes, I know I'll get flack for being a metalhead and liking Celine Dion). I voted on this as his best films, through a critics POV. 8 out of 10

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)-Also was Executive Producer

I still haven't read the novels, but I have heard from many of the Harry Potter readers that this film was very faithful to the novel. I think this film is a very good film that a family could sit down and watch. While the newest films have gotten maybe a bit to adult for the age this film would be good for, it's still a great film to show. Originally called(and still called in foreign countries) Harry Potter and The Phlosopher's Stone it halped introduce us to actors Daniel Radcliffe(Harry Potter), Rupert Grint(Ron Weasley), Emma Watson(Hermione Granger)and gave Maggie Smith, Alan Rickman, Robert Coltrane and even Leprechaun actor Warwick Davis something new to add to their resume. 7 out of 10

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002)-Executive Producer as well

This was a great sequel. When I saw it, I didn't like it, maybe it had to do with the fact I had a 101 degree fever when I went to the theaters to go see it. But after repeat viewings I have grown to enjoy it very much. While it serves better in many places, mainly because its a bit darker, it tweaks in certain places and feels to lag at times. But its still a great film to see over and over again. He went on to be Producer for Prizoner of Azkaban in 2004, handing the directing reigns over to Alfonso Cuarón. I give this film a 7 out of 10.

Rent (2005)-Also Made A Cameo

I've only seen bits and pieces of the film, mainly to check out Rosario Dawson, but having my metalhead brother singing the words to all the songs kind of scares and intrigues me. Will have to check it out soon. Everyone who has seen this knos that this is based off of the play of the same name, very much likeGrease was.