Sailormoon thread

James D.

First off, I've seen the original Sailormoon series uncut and uncensored and it is major league ownage. It's made more for adults than children. Cartoon Network just butchered it and made it into a kiddy-oriented, puntastic crapfest at many points. But even still, I think it's really a great anime. Share the love here.

Sailor Saturn was the best. She was so frail and yet, she could heal people by simply touching them. On the other side of the power spectrum, she could destroy the entire world by SPEAKING a mere three words--"Death Reborn Revolution". Talk about a bipolar case.

I for one have not seen the "real" Sailormoon series (as in many eps removed from storyline, watered down language and themes) but I still loved it. My only problem was that I can't take the embarassment from my friends so I have trouble actually watching it. Some time in the next few years I need to get me some tapes.

One of my fave things is that on YTV (kids/animation channel in Canada) one of the hosts for "The Zone" (after-school block) is the same person that did the voice for Rini/Minimoon. It's always cool when she goes to the anime conventions and as she's talking to the camera a giant crowd develops.

EDIT: I completely remember about Saturn now and that shit was great. I never would have thought Rini's friend Hotaru was a destructive force.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Sailor Moon was great, even if I only ever saw the Cartoon Network version. It was one of the first anime I'd ever seen, it's a great starter because the plots are interesting and the characters are loveable.

Definitely a great show. I absolutely love it from beginning to end, and the live action series was equally cool. I cried just a little during some of the eppies. Very emotional. And so, I must get all fan-girl post-a-rific on you guys with some avi's I made in 2004. XD

01320918-sm_breakdown.jpg

01140918-sm_darkness.jpg

01030918-sm_firewithin.jpg

01380918-sm_longtime.jpg

01540918-sm_loyalty.jpg

01360918-sm_rightingwrongs.jpg

01080918-sm_sparkling.jpg

And then one that I found online somewhere, and I'm sorry to say that I forgot where! (^-^)'''

01590918-shibbysword.gif

~marit

Welcome to the forums! Always great to have more anime fans join us. :happy:

I watched the entire Sailormoon Sailor Stars series about 8 months ago and it's so damn sad. The last 7 episodes or so are just depressing as hell. But that's a sign of a well-written series.

Welcome to the forums! Always great to have more anime fans join us. :happy:

I watched the entire Sailormoon Sailor Stars series about 8 months ago and it's so damn sad. The last 7 episodes or so are just depressing as hell. But that's a sign of a well-written series.

Thanks!

Most definitely a great series, although I didn't agree with how many times core characters tended to die and return from the dead, but I guess it's all apart of what makes the series work. (^^)

The live action series made me cry, but for different reasons. It's more based on the manga, which is a little weird to see on screen (ie. Tuxedo Kamen never throwing not one rose), but it definitely lends to more drama, especially with Sailor V. OMG, now *that* made me cry. And I could identify with Sailor Mars' situation with her estranged father, so that was another tear-fest. Definitely a good series no matter what the form.

~marit

I guess I'll be the first one to jump on the hate-wagon. I reaaaaallly hate Sailor Moon, or what I've seen of it, anyways. My little sister rents videos of it all the time from the library, and it's so... corny and awful. The dialouge, animation, and basically everythnig about it just makes me cringe. From the way you describe it, James, this is probably the "bad" version which you spoke of.

I guess I'll be the first one to jump on the hate-wagon. I reaaaaallly hate Sailor Moon, or what I've seen of it, anyways. My little sister rents videos of it all the time from the library, and it's so... corny and awful. The dialouge, animation, and basically everythnig about it just makes me cringe. From the way you describe it, James, this is probably the "bad" version which you spoke of.

If your little sister isn't watching the bastardized American-language versions, I'll eat a steak and drink rubbing alcohol. The Japanese-language version is the ONLY way to tolerate the show. Now, I will grant you the first season's animation wasn't very good, but it drastically improves as the seasons go on. Sailor Stars' animation is fantastic. The thing with the Japanese version that makes it so awesome is that you get to hear/read all of the more mature dialogue that they edited out for the preteen girl audience of America. It's quite funny to hear Neptune's subtle and not-so-subtle sexual innuendos when she and Uranus are by themselves. (They are lesbian lovers, after all.)

I can see where you're coming from, Pablo. The American episodes are a real turn off. It's a marvel I sought out the originals and followed the franchise up to the live action series after being exposed to just the American version of the anime. But trust me, after you get past those seasons the plotlines start to resonate a bit more, especially in the movies. I would say that you could get away with liking the movies and not the whole show because the animation in the movies can't be faulted, and the storylines, along with character relationships, and explored a bit more than the "monster of the week" format of the series.

It's kind of like the situation with Inuyasha: the show drags out to exhausting proportions without anything really happening, but the movies really carry most of the momentum as far as furthering characters and plot. Especially after watching the series finale of Inuyasha, I'd totally just own the movies. =3

~marit

I can see where you're coming from, Pablo. The American episodes are a real turn off. It's a marvel I sought out the originals and followed the franchise up to the live action series after being exposed to just the American version of the anime. But trust me, after you get past those seasons the plotlines start to resonate a bit more, especially in the movies. I would say that you could get away with liking the movies and not the whole show because the animation in the movies can't be faulted, and the storylines, along with character relationships, and explored a bit more than the "monster of the week" format of the series.

It's kind of like the situation with Inuyasha: the show drags out to exhausting proportions without anything really happening, but the movies really carry most of the momentum as far as furthering characters and plot. Especially after watching the series finale of Inuyasha, I'd totally just own the movies. =3

~marit

This is truth. The Sailormoon movie "Hearts in Ice" is widely considered one of the greatest anime movies made in the last decade or so. The animation is stunning (as most anime movies' animations are), the dialogue is amazing and tear-jerking, and the story follows the series almost perfectly. Luna's dialogue in particular almost makes you want to cry while watching the film.