Gamestop NOW Will Stop Selling Used PS2 Games

Guest TFG1Mike

Guest DCAUFan1051

according to a news item I heard my friend and fellow podcaster Mike "The Birdman" Dodd of The Prototype Podcast from the GameHeroes and This Week In Geek the next games that the GameSTOP stores will stop buying and selling used is PS2 games.

WOW this sucks and is really depressing and makes no goddamn sense

Guest DCAUFan1051
That's strange, considering how much of a profit they make off of second hand stuff, but I guess sales have slowed down. That topic title is a little misleading if they're still selling new PS2 games though.

I think on the Prototype Mike said it's used games but it could be both I'm not sure just go to the gameheroes website and listen to the podcast. Sorry for the misleading title :D

But as you said AJR and Mike even said in the podcast why would they stop doing something that makes them a decent mount of $$$

Guest DCAUFan1051
To convince people to buy PS3's and 360's.

It's kind of weird they would do that though as pre-owned games are pure profit for the company.

goes back to ppl not knowing a good thing when it jumps up and bites them in the ass!

To play devils advocate, heres how the company might see it.

PS2 games will sell for like $20-30 at most. PS3 games go for double that, they could also have to factor in the space that they have and that the profit that they would be making from them.

So pretty much, sellers on eBay are going to be laughing their way to the bank on this one, as like when shops downsized all games sections, people will just turn to eBay.

So in the end the shops could double their space with current generation pre-owned games and make more profit from selling half as many of those games.

Maybe I'm wrong, Dubs or AJR can take over from here.

The profit they can make from dealing in used games for these old systems is minimal at this point, the only real upside is that it encourages repeat business so that the same people will come back again with something worthwhile. I get why an accountant wouldn't see the point in maintaining that aspect of the business, but that has to be weighed against the culture they promote of swapping and selling used games. I guess they felt it wasn't worth it.

I'll check with a mate of mine who used to work in a small game shop that did a lot of this sort of thing, but I get the feeling thats whats going on here.

I honestly don't think they could have been making much money from used game sales at this point. GameStop has a 7-day return policy on used games, which allows you to return the game for ANY reason within the 7 days for a full refund. The clerks in the stores encourage people to buy used in case they don't like the game.

Oh, and I'm going to edit the title of the thread.

It's not a profit issue, it's a space issue. They've already done it with X-Box stuff and DVDs.

PSone stuff was still selling like crazy when PS2 and X-Box came out. It was just time for everything to switch over. What they'll eventually do is bounce the remaining product from store to store until they're rid of all of it. When I was managing a store about a year and a half ago, we were still trying to get rid of N64 sports games that no one was buying.

More business for the eBay people, which is fine with me.

• 4 months later...
For the record, it's July and this still hasn't happened yet. Everyone I talk to says it will be another year or so before they stop PS2 trades.

Yeah, the used game market is still huge, and the PS2 is still in the top three or four best-selling current consoles. (handhelds notwithstanding) As long as PS2 games are still being made (and they are), they'll still sell. Heck, Gamestop still sells GameCube games and they actually do decently well. The only reason that they stopped taking original Xbox games was because the Xbox owners mostly upgraded to the 360 after a few years, whereas the 130+ million PS2 owners were made up of more casual gamers and families that didn't necessarily want to buy a brand-new $600 console without a great reason. It's evening out more, with the PS3 only at $400 and actually being a great value (free online play and a blu-ray drive), but it's still not anywhere near the level of the PS2.

Most classic PS3's still play PS2 games, so it's a great incentive to still keep buying PS2 ones.

The 360 has ok compatibility but you have to check if the game you want to play is supported.

Which is why, kids, the PS2 games and gamecube games still sell.

Now gather round while I refill my pipe and tell you of the great wars of 16 bits, between The Ataroni Nintundo and the Siga Music drive.

The nostalgia market will never die.

They can charge $40 and someone will buy it. At somepoint.

The store I used to work at has the same copy of Mario Kart it did when I started there... three years ago. I know because the sticker still has my old ID tag on it.

The only people buying Gamecube games at this point are either buying for children or can't afford a PS2.

The only people buying Gamecube games at this point are either buying for children or can't afford a PS2.

Nah. I still occasionally buy a GameCube game here and there because, old or not, it's still a good game. Nintendo's first-party games are somewhat unique in that they usually each have a totally different experience from one another. Even if you already own Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Sunshine is still worth going back to and playing because it holds up very well over the seven years since its release and it's a completely different experience.

Next time I see Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, I'll probably pick it up.