CW renews a bunch of shows

JackFetch

The CW announced today the early pickups of six series, including five of the network's signature dramas and the reality hit "America's Next Top Model," which will all return in Fall 2009.

"As we continue to build The CW Network as a destination for young women, these six shows have clearly contributed to strengthening our schedule and our brand identity," said Dawn Ostroff, President, Entertainment, The CW. "By securing these signature hits for next season, we're furthering our commitment to deliver high-quality, original programming to our viewers, advertisers and affiliates."

Among the series receiving early pickups for next season are The CW's Monday tandem of sophomore sensation "Gossip Girl" and "One Tree Hill," which combined to lift The CW to become the fall's #1 network on Monday with women 18-34. Both "Gossip Girl" and "One Tree Hill" have scored double-digit gains compared to their previous seasons. Freshman hit "90210" has improved the network's Tuesday night by double-digit increases in key demos. Wednesday anchor "America's Next Top Model," which consistently wins its time period with young women, will also be back with superstar Tyra Banks and new groups of aspiring models for cycles 13 and 14.

Also renewed were the network's established Thursday team of "Smallville," which will be going into its ninth season, and "Supernatural," which after posting ratings growth this season, will enter its fifth season next year.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=53221

They have the Warner Brothers, DC, and CBS properties to choose from, and they settle for the teenage girl dramas. Fuck you CW.

This network is too concerned with attempting to draw in that 18-34 women's demo. They have the properties to create a strong multi-gender network but they just don't seem to want it. They ditched Smackdown and they have the access to loads of good material for comics-based shows.

I don't know if its an advertising thing but it looks like they are ditching valuable materials just because it doesn't go with the rest of their outfit.

Guest DCAUFan1051
I don't know if its an advertising thing but it looks like they are ditching valuable materials just because it doesn't go with the rest of their outfit.

Uh Hello They Threw away SmackDown....... granted these days SmackDown sucks but still it was a Friday Night Staple on that network..... I think the only one I'm even remotely interested in is Gossip Girl. The way I view that show is it's Cruel Intentions Meets The O.C.

Other then that and Smallville I never watch The CW.

Uh Hello They Threw away SmackDown....... granted these days SmackDown sucks but still it was a Friday Night Staple on that network..... I think the only one I'm even remotely interested in is Gossip Girl. The way I view that show is it's Cruel Intentions Meets The O.C.

That's my point. They threw away Smackdown not due to any problems with its rating but because it didn't fit with the image the network wanted to promote.

I actually watch the entire first season of Gossip Girl but my interest fizzled with the start of season two.

Guest DCAUFan1051

That's my point. They threw away Smackdown not due to any problems with its rating but because it didn't fit with the image the network wanted to promote.

I actually watch the entire first season of Gossip Girl but my interest fizzled with the start of season two.

try Season 2 a little more it gets better at least I think it does..... 1 character dies not telling who just watch. :D

try Season 2 a little more it gets better at least I think it does..... 1 character dies not telling who just watch. :D

I'm going to guess that its either Dan's dad or the other non-rich girl who has a crush on him.

Edit: I was wrong, but who it was would be obvious choice on reflection. Also, Dan an Serena have a sibling in common? Eww!

Damn it, you got me interested again. What is it about shows with potential incest storylines that make them must see tv? That was one of the best things about Veronica Mars as well.

Guest DCAUFan1051
Gah! The actress playing the teacher in this show is younger than me! This is a milestone on level with a midlife crisis, I'm older than the people playing the teachers in high school drama tv shows. I'm no longer eligible to be Zach Morris, I can only be Mr Belding. :shakehead:

could be worse you could be Mike the dorm RA in Saved's College Years :laugh:

see this is a perfect example why E-2 needs a chatroom feature because of the convo Stav and I've had in this thread. Just the instantaneous back & forth. :D

Guest DCAUFan1051

tooo funny Stav on the spoilers lol yeah I thought that teacher was a little young as well. The problem I have is there hasn't been a new ep since the teacher one damnit and they never even gave us a like in three weeks on GG or in two weeks etc etc. I hate it when shows do crap like that.

Guest DCAUFan1051
Teachers can be young. :blush:

Actually, if you looked at my classroom right now, there are three teachers and not one is over 34. I'm 28 and I'm older than the youngest guy.

that's all well and good Des but to me anyway the chick that played the teacher looks like she's closer to 17 then anything else...... granted I did just look her up on imdb and she'll be 25 this year. As I said they made her look much younger then the students on that episode.

Actually, if you looked at my classroom right now, there are three teachers and not one is over 34. I'm 28 and I'm older than the youngest guy.

that's all well and good Des but to me anyway the chick that played the teacher looks like she's closer to 17 then anything else...... granted I did just look her up on imdb and she'll be 25 this year. As I said they made her look much younger then the students on that episode.

Actually she's 25 now. 23 days younger than me.

I get that there can be young teachers, I don't like that there can be young teachers on TV shows about teenagers. If Des were to show up a teacher on 90210 it would be odd so see someone so youthful and vigorous ( :whistle: ) in that role on tv. 25 year olds are supposed to play the 15 years olds, how else can the 38 year olds play seniors?

I get that there can be young teachers, I don't like that there can be young teachers on TV shows about teenagers. If Des were to show up a teacher on 90210 it would be odd so see someone so youthful and vigorous ( :whistle: ) in that role on tv. 25 year olds are supposed to play the 15 years olds, how else can the 38 year olds play seniors?

I would so try and talk Lori Loughlin, Jennie Garth and Shannon Doherty into a four way. 90s babe triple shot!

I would so try and talk Lori Loughlin, Jennie Garth and Shannon Doherty into a four way. 90s babe triple shot!

Showing your age there Des, I meant the current 90210. I was wrong, you are old enough to play a teacher.

Showing your age there Des, I meant the current 90210. I was wrong, you are old enough to play a teacher.

Not really, those three are all featured prominently in the new 90210 as teachers and parents.

OWNED.gif

Doh. I've never watch any of either of the shows, its really not any kind of deal over here.

Guest DCAUFan1051

for a brief moment I was about to call Des out on the Laughlin addition in the four way.... she's in the NEW unholy 90210.... I thought he meant in the Original Series.

Seriously though I was hoping CW would realize that they're crapping on the Original concept of the classic 90210 and cancel this new bullshit. I haven't watched it since the premiere and I refuse to watch it to even acknowlege it's exsistence at all!

They ditched Smackdown and they have the access to loads of good material for comics-based shows.

I know I was clamoring for a LOSH show after the "Legion" episode of Smallville. Why they haven't done any other comic shows, especially after the fanfare around the Aquaman pilot, is beyond me.

Calling the original 90210 "classic" tarnishes television as a whole.

At least the new one has actors who actually look like high school students, you know, if everyone was rich. Except for that curly-haired Amazon who looks like my elementary school librarian...dirty thoughts! dirty thoughts! dirty thoughts!

And if they plan on making another DC based show like Smallville, I just wish they wouldn't even bother.

They don't want to do anything to condradict Smallville. I honestly cannot wait for that show to die so we can get a good show based on a DC comic. Lets stop flogging the dead horse, end the thing and start working on a new-continuity Green Arrow series based loosely on the Kevin Smith reboot. Its Green Arrow, the show would cost so little to make and if cast right could do really well. Throw in conflict with ex-sidekick Arsenal, new sidekick Speedy and on/off girlfriend Black Canary, pepper the show with villains and heroes from the DC universe at large (easy stuff, Wildcat, The Question, Deathstroke, Brick, street level characters) and watch the fan adulation roll in.

Guest DCAUFan1051
Calling the original 90210 "classic" tarnishes television as a whole.

how so?

for the genre it's in and the length of the show and the real life situations it tackled it is classic TV especially with all the wannabes and bad ones that try to live up to it and fail.