Quantum Blunderbuss

Koete

qb4b.jpg

Over this past year, my friend Juan and I have been doing page by page analysis of Grant Morrison's Final Crisis issues for comicbookpage.com (which you can check out here if you're interested). Both being huge Morrison fans, we hit upon the idea one day while recording of discussing all of Morrison's American comics in chronological order. Quantum Blunderbuss is the result.

In Episode 0, we go over what the podcast will cover, discuss what we enjoy about Morrison's work so much that we'd start a podcast about it, and run down our Top 5 personal favorite Morrison stories.

You can check out our zero episode here. Available through iTunes soon.

I'll check it out, since Morrison is one of those guys who is alternately great and terrible. I'd be really interested to hear some discussion on Morrison's use of narrative itself as a plot device, like in Earth-2 and Final Crisis. Both stories unequivocally state their good vs evil status and embrace the narrative function of good triumphing over evil almost as a law of physics within the standard DC universe. Plus the entire last chapter of Final Crisis is told as though reviewing the highlights of some great tale.

I'll throw this on my ipod now. Interesting subject guys, hope you can maintain momentum on it.

I'll check it out, since Morrison is one of those guys who is alternately great and terrible. I'd be really interested to hear some discussion on Morrison's use of narrative itself as a plot device, like in Earth-2 and Final Crisis. Both stories unequivocally state their good vs evil status and embrace the narrative function of good triumphing over evil almost as a law of physics within the standard DC universe. Plus the entire last chapter of Final Crisis is told as though reviewing the highlights of some great tale.

I'll throw this on my ipod now. Interesting subject guys, hope you can maintain momentum on it.

It'll be awhile before we get there, but Morrison's use of narrative in those will definitely come up. One of the reasons I love JLA: Earth-2 is Morrison making the adage of good always triumphing over evil a law of the superhero universe and then flipping it. A lot of people didn't like how Final Crisis #7 was told, but it worked for me, because it felt like the retelling style it was written in added more weight to each scene.

Thanks for listening! Glad you enjoyed it.

Juan seems to have this aversion to Doctor Who, but you can be assured that I'll be getting him to read Morrison's Who.

I'm actually editing Episode 1 right now. It came in at two hours and I hope to have it up by the end of the night. If not, it will be up very early Tuesday morning.

Great zero episode. I had fun listening to you guys fanboy out a little.

I look forward most particularly to Invisibles as that was a collossal radicalfest of Morrisonosity.

I was reminded to send Flex Mentallo your way, I'll have to find those.

I may be behind a couple of weeks as my trades for Animal Man are packed. But I'll still listen regardless.

Great zero episode. I had fun listening to you guys fanboy out a little.

We'll try to keep it at just a little, but there's a good chance we'll be fanboying out almost every episode.

I look forward most particularly to Invisibles as that was a collossal radicalfest of Morrisonosity.

That's the work of his I have not yet read that I'm most looking forward to reading, but, like I said on the podcast, I'm saving the best for last.

I was reminded to send Flex Mentallo your way, I'll have to find those.

I would be in your debt.

I may be behind a couple of weeks as my trades for Animal Man are packed. But I'll still listen regardless.

Awesome. Reading along or not, we're glad to have you along for the ride.

Also, Coyote Gospel might be one of the top 3 greatest single issues of all time.

It is, along with Animal Man #19 and 26.

• 2 weeks later...

Just listened to episode 1 and I really enjoyed the format. No straight summary with commentary throughout. In-depth. And the very academic approach to Coyote Gospel gave that issue the reverance it deserved. i would argue that book not only set the tone for the rest of the run, but for that of Morrison's career and creating a new genre in comics. A new language of comics, metacomics where stories were being told about stories, putting guys like Morrison in the same realm of guys like Vonnegut and Pynchon. Moore and Gaiman would follow. Though noted that Morrison took after Moore, but pushed it a lot farther.

Glad you liked the format. We debated whether to run down the whole issue or just give a short summary. We decided to go with the full run down for those who haven't read the issues and want to follow along, and also because Morrison's comics will get more and more complex. I'm also glad our coverage of Coyote Gospel did it justice. Knowing how important issues 5, 19, and 26 are, we want to make sure they get the analysis they deserve. I agree about Coyote Gospel's importance beyond the run, and I think it's probably one of the most important comics ever published.

• 4 weeks later...

The theme is taken from "Sunshine Superman" by Donovan. Each series we review will get its own theme that ties into the series.

Juan and I both hit a really busy spot, so it's been awhile since the last episode, but we're coming back this week with a recording schedule planned out.

• 3 months later...