Episode 67

RSS

Their coverage of Justice League is almost here, but first James and Mike have to answer a lot of e-mails, then give their final thoughts on The Zeta Project and Static Shock. (Well, and the webtoons, which they spend less than 10 seconds on.) Overall, what did they think of the two series? Which episodes did they choose to reevaluate? Will they mess-up Hotstreak's name one more time? How does one of them react to seeing pictures of Dana Delany for the first time? And what clips did Ian Wilson select to embarrass the duo? All these questions and more will be answered by downloading the episode! [ 2:44:55 || 75.5 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.worldsfinestpodcast.com/episodes/wfp_067.mp3

That's not the case. The embargo was actually established to keep certain Batman-related characters out of the DCAU so they could be used in Nolan's films and The Batman.

Furthermore, even if the producers of The Batman were asked not to use Scarecrow and Ra's because Nolan had dibs, why would that apply to Two-Face? The Batman ended in March 2008, whereas The Dark Knight opened in July 2008. There was no overlap, nor was there ever going to be.

Here's my thought on the whole Two-Face-not-being-in-The Batman issue.

The Batman was a very action-heavy show. The "psychological" angle was nowhere near as present in The Batman as it was in BTAS. Two-Face is an almost entirely psychological villain, having no real "physical" gimmick. From The Batman's perspective, there's no reason to use Two-Face instead of a character like Black Mask, other than just to say they had him in there.

I wasn't as fond of The Batman's first few seasons, but Season 4 was AWESOME. The addition of Robin made the entire show so much fun that it's entirely possible to just forget the lack of psychological depth and just watch it for the humor and great action.

I don't fault the show's creative team for not using Two-Face; I'm actually glad that they kept to what made their show work: fun, heavily-stylized action.

Guest DCAUFan1051

I remember Kurtwood Smith most from Dead Poet's Society he was Neil's father. That and Red Foreman.

Clarence Boddicker

it's been a VERY long time since I've seen Robocop... so I went with what I knew. :D

Great episode guys... can't wait til Justice League!

On note I think I've posted on here in the DCAU News Thread about the JL Complete Series DVD Set. It will have everything the current Season sets do, but with 1 extra disc that has 1 new feature. I will be getting it and the Superman Set only because I like Complete Series Sets and They will take up less shelf space.

Hey I'm not sure if you quite answered my question in terms of feelings about the two shows considered that they, along with Beyond and the Titans, are considered the red headed step children of the DCAU.

I mean do you agree or disagree with some of the assessments you have heard through the years about the series, and are you able to hold them up alongside the series featuring the more iconic DC characters, like Batman, Superman and the JLA.

I guess on that level, if you disagree with a lot of the assessments that you've heard, do you think they are judging them too harshly because its not Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash and GL?

Guest DCAUFan1051

considered that they, along with Beyond and the Titans, are considered the red headed step children of the DCAU.

Batman Beyond a red headed step child of the DCAU? no way! :D

considered that they, along with Beyond and the Titans, are considered the red headed step children of the DCAU.

And though MOST people don't consider Teen Titans to be in the DCAU, it's still a great show; I don't think anyone really looks down on it.

Guest DCAUFan1051

As far as TT is concerned I don't outwardly hate the show, but it's not something I was watching when it was on. Who knows maybe when Mike and James review it I might get into it. Hell I almost bought Season 1 of Reta oops Zeta lol

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the majority opinion of Batman fans on Terry and the world of Batman Beyond, from a non-comics forum:

BATMAN BEYOND is a lame attempt to try and Manga-nize the Batman, and it is neither visually, thematically or narratively in the BATMAN mythos. It is a futuristic spinoff with a diffferent character (a kid) wearing a different costume, with different powers, fighting different villains for different reasons. That they prop up poor old Bruce as sort of a grumpy old Yoda for the Manga Bat-kid just adds insult to injury. It has no place in the Batman filmography.

Guest DCAUFan1051

I like that they tied everything together from BTAS to Batman Beyond. We even see that in Epilogue. It's not just there, it has a story behind it. Out of the three cartoons BB, Zeta, and Static Beyond is by far the most adult when it comes to the style. Static is more adult in the issues that it tackles. And Zeta, wel it's a freakin robot. So even though Static Shock was aimed at kids the undertones are really teenage and adult issues.

BATMAN BEYOND is a lame attempt to try and Manga-nize the Batman, and it is neither visually, thematically or narratively in the BATMAN mythos. It is a futuristic spinoff with a diffferent character (a kid) wearing a different costume, with different powers, fighting different villains for different reasons. That they prop up poor old Bruce as sort of a grumpy old Yoda for the Manga Bat-kid just adds insult to injury. It has no place in the Batman filmography.

I think whoever wrote that has obviously never seen Return of the Joker or Epilogue.

I think whoever wrote that has obviously never seen Return of the Joker or Epilogue.

Probably not, but I can understand where this post comes from. Many people dislike the show precisely because Bruce was first of all old and also a secondary player in some of the episodes. I've heard opinions about this show based solely on one or two episodes where Bruce was only in the background. Also, Bruce not being in the suit is not something easily accepted by some.

People that have seen the entire run of the show, or most of it, usually disagree with those that dislike it based only on Bruce's screen time and involvement, but as we've seen from this review podcast, some episodes were really awful portraying the Terry/Bruce relationship while others excelled at it.