Episode 20

RSS

Oh, dear lord. Who would have thought that the contest for worst Bond film would be reopened after the seeming winner was announced in 1979? But in Die Another Day Ian and Adham discover a very, very close rival. Don't let that put you off though, as the hosts play Bond Film Bingo, continue their friendly rivalry with Better in the Dark, and marvel as Ian lets his hair down to mispronounce major supporting characters names and reveal the full extent of his lust for Rosamund Pike. Adham has never looked so tame in comparison, despite an increase in singing. [ 3:37:38 || 87.2 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/foryourearsonly/episodes/foryourearsonly_020.mp3

As promised, the plot of Octopussy as given to us via email:

Kamal Khan and Gen. Orlov made a deal: Kamal was (with Octopussy’s help) supposed to get the (Russian) nuclear device into a West German US Army Base, and blow it up so that Gen. Orlov could then lead the Russian invasion of western Europe (as he explained on the map – btw. your Gen. Orlov accent was very good – Steven Berkoff would feel honored; apart from that: please refrain from impersonations and most of all NEVER again sing the title song ). For this service, Gen. Orlov was supposed to provide the Russian national jewellery as a pay up for Kamal. Since this operation had to be kept secret, Gen. Orlov had his henchman in the depository forge all of the jewellery to be replaced for the real thing. The forgery was completed. Only one unfortunate incident occured: 009 stole the forged Fabergé egg, which appearently had already been brought to East Berlin. This egg then rolled into the hands of the British embassador. Since the forged egg was lost, Gen. Orlov needed the original egg one more time to have his henchman make another copy; Kamal was instructed to buy it – at any price. At the auction, Bond switched the real egg for the forgery from East Berlin. However, he lost the real egg, when Magda snatched it from his jacket just before Gobinda beat the shit out of Bond. Now, in West Germany (on the train to be exact), all of the (real) jewellery was inspected by Octopussy. Meanwhile in Moscow, Gen. Gogol noticed that the state jewellery had been replaced with forgeries. Since he had a hunch that Gen.Orlov had something to do with it, he flew to East Germany to have him arrested. The jewellery that was found in Gen.Orlov’s car was the real thing. It was in his car because the bomb hadn’t gone off, so the job wasn’t done yet. The earlier scene was therefore not yet the pay up but rather Octopussy verfiying that the jewellery was indeed genuine; one minor plothole though: since Octopussy was obviously aware of the jewellery but just as obviously not aware of the A-Bomb – what was she thinking the payment from Gen. Orlov was for ?!

I didn't let it out in my my email to a great extent but fucking hell Die Another Day was such a fucking bore and anyone who didn't vote for it in the poll are dicks especially you derrick you "D.A.D. apologist". CGI AND BOND BINGO AND THE CAR ... WTF, this film is a fucking summer blockbuster and wasted celebration and I would give it a .5/10. Nonetheless, the review sums it up in the way i begged it to do so and I'm very greatful for you guys doing it justice the way it should've been done. Review: 10/10.

Film .5/10.

FUCK DIE ANOTHER DAY. YOU KILLED THE FRANCISE, YOU KILLED BROSNAN, YOU HAD JINX IN YOU. PRAISE THE WINTER OF CRAIG AND REJOICE FOR THE SPRING OF SHIT NON-CANON FILMS THAT ARE BETTER THAN THIS FILM.

The theme song to Die Another Day the best theme song since The Living Daylights?

Really?

I mean, really?

No wonder Mike asked Derrick and me to join this network...

(and incidentally, if anyone needs to find Episode 57 so you can get the real goods on A View To A Kill--although, to be fair, next Sunday's Episode 71 starts off with an apology to that movie for my calling it the worst Bond ever--the back catalog is available at bitd.libsyn;com until the archives are up)

I didn't let it out in my my email to a great extent but fucking hell Die Another Day was such a fucking bore and anyone who didn't vote for it in the poll are dicks especially you derrick you "D.A.D. apologist". CGI AND BOND BINGO AND THE CAR ... WTF, this film is a fucking summer blockbuster and wasted celebration and I would give it a .5/10. Nonetheless, the review sums it up in the way i begged it to do so and I'm very greatful for you guys doing it justice the way it should've been done. Review: 10/10.

Film .5/10.

FUCK DIE ANOTHER DAY. YOU KILLED THE FRANCISE, YOU KILLED BROSNAN, YOU HAD JINX IN YOU. PRAISE THE WINTER OF CRAIG AND REJOICE FOR THE SPRING OF SHIT NON-CANON FILMS THAT ARE BETTER THAN THIS FILM.

Will....

Trust me. Your view of the Husker-Du game that is Die Another Dayis well-represented in next week's episode 71....

The theme song to Die Another Day the best theme song since The Living Daylights?

Really?

I mean, really?

No wonder Mike asked Derrick and me to join this network...

(and incidentally, if anyone needs to find Episode 57 so you can get the real goods on A View To A Kill--although, to be fair, next Sunday's Episode 71 starts off with an apology to that movie for my calling it the worst Bond ever--the back catalog is available at bitd.libsyn;com until the archives are up)

Vary rarely in life have the views of Adham Fisher corresponded with the views of Ian Wilson, and this example is one of those times. Subjective as musical taste is, I outright loathe Madonna's presence within the franchise. Good thing Chris Cornell came along to salvage the reputation of Bond themes (before Jack White and Alicia Keyes consigned them back to hell).

Hmm, I'm showing my hand there a little...

Film .5/10.

Now, now, William...please don't be shy. Tell us what you honestly and truly think of DIE ANOTHER DAY.

Film .5/10.

Now, now, William...please don't be shy. Tell us what you honestly and truly think of DIE ANOTHER DAY.

I'm with Derrick on this one, Will. You're being a tad subtle! Glad you liked the review.

Film .5/10.

I'm with Derrick on this one, Will. You're being a tad subtle! Glad you liked the review.

Honestly I was kidding, Derrick, everyone has their own opinions and I seriously just wanted to get all my rage out about the film that led to the creation of Bond bingo (However that is reason 1 of 1000 why this film is the worst of the series.) Apologies to everyone who didn't vote for this on the poll, it was the final thoughts section of the episode that inspired that reply.

Film .5/10.

Honestly I was kidding, Derrick, everyone has their own opinions and I seriously just wanted to get all my rage out about the film that led to the creation of Bond bingo (However that is reason 1 of 1000 why this film is the worst of the series.) Apologies to everyone who didn't vote for this on the poll, it was the final thoughts section of the episode that inspired that reply.

No problem, Will. I fully realize I'm definitely in the minority when it comes to DIE ANOTHER DAY (and THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH for that matter) and that's okay. I don't disagree with the flaws in the story, the casting of Halle Berry, who must have had it in her contract that Jinx had to have just as much screen time as Bond or the overuse of CGI. But I still maintain that it's not the worst of the Bond movies and I'd much rather watch DIE ANOTHER DAY than MOONRAKER, A VIEW TO A KILL or QUANTUM OF BOREDOM....oops, excuse me, I meant SOLACE.

Film .5/10.

No problem, Will. I fully realize I'm definitely in the minority when it comes to DIE ANOTHER DAY (and THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH for that matter) and that's okay. I don't disagree with the flaws in the story, the casting of Halle Berry, who must have had it in her contract that Jinx had to have just as much screen time as Bond or the overuse of CGI. But I still maintain that it's not the worst of the Bond movies and I'd much rather watch DIE ANOTHER DAY than MOONRAKER, A VIEW TO A KILL or QUANTUM OF BOREDOM....oops, excuse me, I meant SOLACE.

I actually quite like TWINE (It's in my top 15) and the only Bond films I don't really like are DAD, MR, TMWTGG and possibly DAF.

• 3 months later...

Interesting note, one of the early Korean guards we see at the start around the surfing sequence is an old friend of mine.

Really? If I post you a CD of my music, can you pass it on to him so he can give it to the big cheese?

Available for soundtracks, will travel.

Interesting note, one of the early Korean guards we see at the start around the surfing sequence is an old friend of mine.

Really? If I post you a CD of my music, can you pass it on to him so he can give it to the big cheese?

Available for soundtracks, will travel.

Old friend as in I probably last saw him about five years ago. But I promise as soon as I'm in Hollywood I'll be passing out your samples in the gift bags at my hip get-togethers.