Every comic you've read in 2010

Missy

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Due to my six hours in the hospital waiting room, I was able to catch up on some serious back issues, I've had lying around.

Deadpool Team Up #890: I've been trying to avoid Deadpool books, but he teams up with Aaron goddamn Stack, so I couldn't not. All things considered, it was a fun, cute one and done. I still don't care for the duo of thought boxes for Wade, but fun issue, with dynamic, cartoony, but fitting art. 8/10

Brave and the Bold #29 Batman "teams up" with Brother Power the Geek. Heavy handed political crap. The Frankenstein metaphor is awesome though. 4/10.

One Month to Live #1 Interesting concept, solid execution. Marvel has totally piqued my curiosity, and a big damn hero moment for Ben Grimm can sell me on much of anything. 7/10

Green Lantern #56: Larfleeze is awesome. Reintroducing Hector Hammond before the GL movie seems cheap, though. 4/10

Return of Bruce Wayne #4: ...HOW DID COWBOY BATMAN LET ME DOWN? Bruce Wayne should have been The Man with No Name here. Instead he was a fucking mute, fighting Vandal Savage. Though, I am glad that Jonah Hex won their encounter, anything else would have been a waste. 2/10

Batman Beyond #2 and #3: Boring as shit, with awful art. Beechen sucks, Benjamin sucks and if Dick Grayson is Hush, I'll never read another Beechen book. Catwoman Beyond is solid, though, but Inque already filled that role well enough. 2/10

Brave and the Bold #32: Etrigan and Aquaman fight Cthulhu. I loved every fucking moment of this issue. ...Like there are no words. 9/10

DC: The New Frontier Volumes #1 and #2 ...Why haven't I read this yet? Not one character was portrayed wrong. I cared about Barry Allen, Hal Jordan and Rick Flagg Sr. Those are all firsts. Incredible book, incredible art. 10/10. Darwyn Cooke is a master.

DC: The New Frontier Volumes #1 and #2 ...Why haven't I read this yet? Not one character was portrayed wrong. I cared about Barry Allen, Hal Jordan and Rick Flagg Sr. Those are all firsts. Incredible book, incredible art. 10/10. Darwyn Cooke is a master.

Rock the fuck on, man. Six of the greatest comics DC has ever published.

DC Universe Legacies #4-here we go! This was fun. The era of the Teen Titans and Doom Patrol. Sweet. 7/10

Ultimate Avengers 2 #6-So much damned fun. Loved it. 8/10

Ultimate Avengers 3 #1-Erm...I think I don't like Steve Dillon if he's drawing anything but people talking. It might take some getting used to. I understand that Millar's on his quest to work with every artist he's ever wanted to work with and why the fuck not? But I think he doesn't fit with this project. 6/10

Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors #1-Ok. Liked this a lot. Could become my favorite GL title. 9/10

Green Lantern Corps #51-Fun space opera stuff. Not as good as it's been but still fun. 7/10

Batman: Arkham Reborn-David Hine is a master. Jeremy Haun is one of my favorite artists. But those back up stories from Detectivce that are in here and questionable at best. All of a sudden Jeremiah Arkham is

the Black Mask?

WTF? Still, DC is the only company with the balls to put these compilation trades together and I appreciate them for it. The intro story and the core series collected here are enough to make it stunning. 8/10

Legends: The Enchanted-In a word? Unimpressed. Looks good but the story rambles on and on. They're introducing new fable characters in the last twenty pages of the book and it never feels like a story. Rather, a series of pretty static images. An Percival is no Sejic. Major letdown. 2/10

R.E.B.E.L.S vol 2 Strange Companions-Andy Clarke is one of my new favorite artists and this series is one of the best being published by the big two but the annual collected here is atrociously bad. And Clarke's not in enough of this collection. Still great stuff though there's just a lot of garbage pulling it down. 6/10

Comic books: 242

Trade paperbacks: 50

Graphic novels: 4

Omnibuses: 5

The Guns of Shadow Valley Convention Preview - Good start to what looks to be a supernatural western with great artwork. Looks like I have a new webcomic to follow.

Morning Glories #1 - Really good start to a new series. The premise is that six high school cliches arrive at a prep school with some dark secrets under the surface. About half of the cliche students are written well, indicating potential for all the characters to rise above their cliches. The story is also helped by getting into some of the crazy stuff right off the bat, leading to a "say whaaaaaaat" last page. The art is solid as well. There's a lot set up here for this to be a great series.

Mysterius The Unfathomable TPB - Read this months ago, but never posted about it. The basic premise is a magician and his new assistant try to stop an arcane evil from doing what evil does. The story has Jeff Parker's humor and wit throughout. The title character isn't noble, but a real bastard, which is refreshing. Tom Fowler's artwork is gorgeous, especially his creature designs. I think all of the issues in the six issue mini-series are good, but the fourth issue, featuring a Dr. Seuss analogue, is fantastic and probably my favorite single issue since All Star Superman #10.

Scalped #1 - This was okay. I see a lot of potential in it, so I'll probably pick up the first trade and see how I like it.

Superman's Metropolis OGN - The 1927 silent classic Metropolis recast with Superman characters. It was a bit too close to the source material at the beginning, but it really picked up when the Superman elements started coming in. I was surprised how many of the elements really fit with the original film. Ted Mckeever's art is fantastic as well.

Thor: The Mighty Avenger #3 - I love this series so much. It has everything I want from a Marvel comic: a fun story, great art, and the hints of an overarching plot. I hope this book goes on for years.

Weird War Tales #1 - Okay stories, great art. This really should have been $2.99.

Total

Comic Books: 92

TPBs: 4

HCs: 1

Graphic Novels: 2

Manga:

Atlas #1, The Authority #2, Avengers vs. Atlas #1-4, Batman and Robin #7-12, Batman: Return of Bruce Wayne #1-2, Boondock Saints: In Nomine Patris #1, Brightest Day #0, Casanova #1, Chew #1, Chimichanga #2-3, Cowboy Ninja Viking #3-6, FCBD Atomic Robo, FCBD Doctor Solar/Magnus, FCBD Iron Man/Thor, FCBD Iron Man: Supernova, Fist of Justice #3-5, G.I. Joe European Missions #3, The Guns of Shadow Valley Convention Preview, Hellblazer #25-26, The Indomitable Iron Man, Invincible #1, Joe The Barbarian #1-5, Marvel Boy: The Uranian #1-3, Marvel Must Haves #1, 3-4, 9, 15, Marvel Must Have: Vengeance of The Moon Knight, Morning Glories #1, Mysterius The Unfathomable TPB, The Mystic Hands of Dr. Strange, Orc Stain #1-4, Pinocchio Vampire Slayer OGN, Proof #1, Sam Slade RoboHunter #27, Savage Dragon #1, Scalped #1, Secret Origins #50, Spider-Man: Fever #1-2, Spider-Man/Human Torch: I'm With Stupid Digest TPB, Superman's Metropolis OGN, Thor by JMS Vol. 3 HC, Thor: The Mighty Avenger #1-3, Time Twisters #2,8,15,17,20-21, Weird War Tales #3, Weird War Tales #1 (2010), WildCats #1

Batman and Robin #15: This is what I wanted from the series. Great art by Irving, and great writing. Finally I get Morrison's Joker. He's as Morrison said, he changes every time you see him, and he never stops being a killer. Also, I heart Pyg. However, I think Morrison may have too much built to pay off in the next issue. Still, I can't wait to see what happens next.

Red Robin #16: First issue of Fabien's run that I did not enjoy. Anarky was crap when Fabien used him in Robin, and he is still crap here. Art was great as always, but something here just didn't click with me.

Trades: 15

HC:0

Comics: 154

GN:0

Omnibus: 1

Earth-2.net: The Show 417

Captain America: Reborn

Absolute Death

Earth-2.net: The Show 418

The Darkness: Four Horsemen #1

Guarding the Globe #1

Namor: The First Mutant #1

PunisherMax: Happy Ending

X-Men: Curse of the Mutants - Storm & Gambit

Earth-2.net: The Show 419

Exiles #90

Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash #1

The Hood #1

Quantum & Woody #1

The Question (1987) #1

Teen Titans (1996) #1

Time Bomb #1

I honestly do not get what people see in Paul Gulacy's artwork. It's ugly and inconsistent at best, and sloppy and lazy at worst. This book walks the line between the two. I don't think there was a single panel or illustration I liked, not even the moments when the plague struck. Simply awful! And the writing isn't any better. Palmiotti and Gray are better than this, yet they've turned in a script with stiff dialog and flat characters. Worse that that, they took a relatively interesting concept and wasted it on clichéd characters and situations.

Comic books: 108

Trade paperbacks: 56

Graphic novels: 1

Time Bomb #2-Even better than the first. Mike is out of his mind. I'll take Gulacy over damn near anyone working in the biz. 8/10

Doctor 13: Architecture & Mortality-I need to read this a few more times but wow is this nothing like Azzarello's ever done! It's great. DC's biggest skeptic, his hot daughter, a Spanish ghost pirate, a member of the Legion of Substitute Heroes, a french-speaking caveman, a vampire, a haunted tank, a boy genius who only exists in dreams an a nazi gorilla all team up to try and prove their value ina universe that doesn't want them anymore. This ascends beyond regular comic stories. In fact, this is like what if Grant Morrison wrote NextWave. Cliff Chiang's art is boss! 9/10

Hack/Slash Omnibus 1-Great fun. This is the other horror book that's really good right now. And like Walking Dead, this could very well be an ongoing horror slasher story if it wasn' a collection of miniseries. I love how Seeley is unafraid to advance the overarcing story when Cassie meets Evil Ernie or Chucky. Ballsy stuff. The art is inconsistent. Sometimes great, sometimes very bad, other times mediocre. The story is worth it though. 8/10

Comic books: 243

Trade paperbacks: 51

Omnibuses: 6

• 2 weeks later...

Pinhead #1-6-Woof. Not good. Pinhead battling himself through time is a much cooler idea on paper, than....on paper. 2/10

Joe Kubert's Viking Prince-I've come to the realization that I'm not a Joe Kubert fan. I always thought I was. But I'm only a fan of his mid to late 60s work. Thankfully they collect the two issue crossover from that period with Viking Prince and Sgt. Rock. That is badass. Everythign else is rote and boring. 4/10

Comic books: 249

Omnibuses: 7

Neonomicon #1 and 2 - Alan Moore loses his mind for my entertainment. Fucked up to the point that Des is the only other person here I can conceive liking it.

But he'll probably hate it.

Earth-2.net: The Show 420

RED

Avengers: Under Siege

Uncanny X-Force #1

Though I enjoyed the issue, I'm still on the fence. It's nowhere near as good as the previous volume, and I think I need to distance myself from that before I can better judge this new series.

Comic books: 109

Trade paperbacks: 58

Graphic novels: 1

Uncanny X-Force #1

Though I enjoyed the issue, I'm still on the fence. It's nowhere near as good as the previous volume, and I think I need to distance myself from that before I can better judge this new series.

I'll probably pick up the trade for the Jerome Opena art alone.

@Dubs: read the zero issue and said "well that sucked really badly." I may check it out in trade if it's cheap. I've been psyched for Neonomicon since Jacen Burrows told me he was working on Alan Moore's attempt at remaking the Cthulhu mythos in modern times. I'm not so sure it is that anymore. Alan Moore wrote Yuggoth Cultures for Avatar too and that is more Lovecraftian than anything else I've seen.

The Ultimates 2 Ultimate Collection-Just reminded me of why this is one of my all-time favorite superhero stories. Millar wrote a tight, smart, and mind-blowing superhero story. Probably the best of his career. 9/10

Comic books: 249

Omnibuses: 8

Not a lot of comics for a while as I'm reading and writing a shit-ton of fiction lately. But I did just get a spectacular shipment I'm going to have to tackle sometime soon.

JLA: Rock of Ages. I was told this was like Final Crisis, but made more sense when I was sold it, so I decided to give it a go. It certainly was along the lines of Final Crisis, but was easier to follow, and was pretty fun. Good solid art as well.

Countdown to infinite crisis: I bet reading this when it came out and you didn't know the reveal made this ten times better. Still, it wasn't bad, even if I already knew everything that was coming.

Millennium reprint of Brave and Bold #28: This is why I don't care about team books. All the heroes didn't really do anything together for most of the book, and it just felt like too much was going on, and too little to take away to care about.

Flash 80 page giant (1998): Really fun. Enjoyable for the most part. The Impulse story with art by Van Sciver was the best. Van Scivers art here was really good, and wasn't the "Make every page a pose" stuff that he does today, it actually made the story fun. The Mark Millar story at the end, about writing a story was also alright.

Impulse #29: Forgettable. The book just wasn't that good.

Batman: Vengeance of Bane part 2: Sometimes books just aren't that good. This is one of them. Outside of the cover, nothing memorable.

Promethea #17: Don't really have anything to say about this. Art was great, but it just went over my head.

50th Anniversary Flash special (1990)Also good, it started off pretty slow with the Jay Garrick story, and the Barry Allen part was pretty bland, but from Wally on, it was fast paced and fun.

The Kingdom #1: I can see why people don't like to remember this comic. Not that good.

Blackest Night: Tales of the corps 1-3(Full set): Great. Really enjoyable, and fun to read.

Return of Bruce Wayne #5: Wasn't worth the delay. Really added some background to RIP, but other than that and being better than #4, it wasn't anything special. This book was delayed for two months and had a fill in artist take over 2/3rds in, although a very very good one in Pere Perez, but not the person solicited. Definitely not worth the delay.

Bruce Wayne: The Road Home: Red Robin: Waste of time. Unless you are reading all the other Road Home's, do not waste your money.

Knight and Squire #1: Loved this. Great art, and was a fun simple issue about heroes and villians meeting in a pub, and just talking shop, and other stuff, while something fishy goes on in the background. Also, Jarvis Poker: The British Joker has got to be based on Stephen Fry. Really enjoyed the book, and can't wait for next months issue.

Trades: 16

HC:0

Comics: 168

So I lied. Couldn't stand having that huge pile of books sitting there as well as my TFAW sale shipment.

I Am Legion Deluxe Edition-a bit of a disappointment but it took like 7 years to finally get out so my expectations were a little high. Cassaday, I'm convinced, is the finest illustrator today. 7/10

Incorruptible vol. 2-Love the story, love Max Damage, can't stand the art. It's a shame because this is so fun. The art doesn't fit at all. Ugh. I hope it changes back to Jean Diaz for volume three or I'm going to drop this. 6/10

DC Universe Legacies #5-So, Crisis on Infinite Earths told from a man on the street perspective in 32 pages? A little ambitious to say the least. And it was masterful. Better than Marvels. Having Perez back for the art was a nice touch. Still, not even Walt Simonson art can make Adam Strange interesting to me. Hated the backup. This series has been very different than what i thought it would be. Initially I thought it would be like Brubaker's The Marvels Project and I was initially a little disappointed but it has become something much better. 8/10

Brightest Day #9,10-Art and story: fantastic. This is a great little series. 8/10

GL #57-I'm actualy starting to like Carol. Larfleeze in Vegas is brilliance. and again, Mahnke. 9/10

GLC #52-I'm actually starting to like Cyborg Superman. Oops! Hehe... Bedard is turning this book into something I want to read again. Syaf's art is a little up and down with me but I liked most of it in this issue. 9/10

GL: Emerald Warriors #2-Now, we're talking! If this series continues to be a Guy, Arisia, Kilowog "road story" then it is likely to outseat all other GL books as the best. Tomasi is the goddamn man and Pasarin's art is brilliant. 9/10

B&R #14-Love it. The more Irving draws Joker the more I feel like he's the definitive Joker artist. I want more. I was happily relieved at this due to absolutely abhoring the last two Morrison Batman books I read. Thumbs up here! 8/10

Joe The Barbarian #7-Murphy's art is beautiful. But this probably should have been six issues instead of eight. It feels padded. I think it could be a really superb All Ages TV miniseries. 7/10

Ultimate Avengers 3 #2-Yeah, Dillon does not belong on a superhero book. 6/10

Nemesis #3-Holy Shit, McNiven is at the top of his game here. Th story is simple and brutal but still very compelling. Loving it. 9/10

Captain America #610-Well alright! I can give two shits for the Nomad backup but goddamn, I don't want to wait for the trade for this book. 9/10

Comic books: 260

Trade paperbacks: 53

Batman and Robin #15: Not since Quitley has a third issue of B&R not felt like a bit of a letdown to me. This was a fucking awesome issue, Irvings Joker is just plain creepy, and that ending? Awesome. Still probably not bothering with Batman Inc, but I am really looking forward to Morrisons last issue of B&R.

Blackest Night: Awesome. Great read, though this is a series I should have read in singles, and alongside the Green Lantern issues. It was awesome on its own, but the GL issues really would have added to it, if this was 2 HC's instead of one, which would glide back and forth between GL and BN, it would have been a lot better. Art was phenomenal, and this sits proudly on my shelf next to All Star Superman.

Freddy VS Jason VS Ash 2: Well, it was a letdown. Nowhere near as much fun as the first book, I know sequels have to have bigger stakes, but this opened pretty much the same way the first one did, which is the same way the FVJ movie opened. Art was good, but wasn't really stand out and my big gripe:

Why the hell was Maggie working for Freddy, it made for a nice twist, but made no fucking sense.

Also, using all the survivors from NOES and F13th was interesting, but they didn't really do anything memorable, and it took me a few minutes to recognise the psychologist was the guy from Nightmare 3. Also, if they had survivors, why the hell wasn't Jesse there? An ok book on its own, but when compared to FVJVA 1, it is noticeably inferior, and a damn sure lot less fun.

Trades: 17

HC:1

Comics: 169

Wildcats Version 3.0: Year One-I wasn't sure when I first read a bunch of these issues and I'm still notsure having read the first twelve. It is nowhere near as good as Sleeper was buut it is way better than Authority was at the time (doesn't take much). I find the characters cold and the motivations nonexistant for much of the book. On the other hand: Dustin Nguyen. It looks beautiful. I will need year two to make a full decision. I'm just not sure I want to do that yet. 7/10

Dark X-Men-Wow. I haven't enjoyed an X-Men comic probably in ten years. Next to Astonishing and Morrison's New that is. I was even a little here or there on the first issue of this one. But in many ways, this is the definitive X-Men story (two towers of power fighting sinde one of those characters minds while the street level team tries to find a way to help). And Mystique is the only character I gave a shit about. Mimic's had like one decent issue written about him. Weapon Omega I am against not just on a character level but on a Bendis fuck-up level. Osborn is the biggest waste of potential in comics storytelling in the past decade and Dark Beast and Nate Grey...I dropped the X-Books during A0A. That should say something. This is the most fun I"ve had reading a Marvel comic in a long while. IN fact, if one plot point here developed, it could have really made something of Dark Reign. PLus, of course the creative team is one of my all-time favorites. 10/10.

The Amazing Screw-On Head and Other Curious Objects-The title story does not hold up. Unfortunately. The other stories and back up sketches are pretty good. There's the reprint of the Happy Endings story he did with his daughter. There are two other really good ones, one including Dr. Snap from Screw On Head. 7/10.

Comic books: 260

Trade paperbacks: 56