Every comic you've read in 2010

Missy

Action Comics #890-894: Awesome. I didn't want to enjoy these, but I did, I really did, and I really liked how they were mostly self contained stories, with a little foldover from previous issues, with a cliffhanger to the next issue. Though, the Death issue was easily the weakest of the bunch.

Green Lantern #54-59: Larfleeze is awesome, and really enjoying this, I felt it would read better in bulk, and I was right. Mahnke is awesome. Line of the story so far, Larfleeze "I want to be queen too!"

Brightest Day #15: I can't tell if the art was supposed to be crap on purpose or not. An entire issue pretty much dedicated to Martian Manhunters story? I'll pass.

Teen Titans #89: Parts with the team and dealing with Damian? Great. Parts where they take on a villain? Boring.

Trades: 17

HC:1

Comics: 201

GN:0

Omnibus: 1

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Action Comics #890-894: Awesome. I didn't want to enjoy these, but I did, I really did, and I really liked how they were mostly self contained stories, with a little foldover from previous issues, with a cliffhanger to the next issue. Though, the Death issue was easily the weakest of the bunch.

But of course, as you are suavestar.

Batman, Inc. #1

I was expecting to be wowed, like I was with Batman and Robin #1, but this wasn't on that level. That said, I still enjoyed the issue, especially the -- shall I say -- classic ending. That was a nice touch I wasn't expecting.

Comic books: 110

Trade paperbacks: 67

Graphic novels: 1

The Brave and the Bold: Lords of Luck-Mark Waid should write all DC books. Never before has someone been able to make me give a shit about characters I don't give a shit about. Interestingly, he started the series off with a safe and traditional team-up with Batman and GL, but followed it up with Blue Beetle, LOSH, Lobo and Supergirl. I loved every one of those characters in this book. Perez's work is inspired. The Lobo/Supergirl team-up has to be one of the best single issues the year this came out. Batman versus Brainiac 5 is genius, literally. 9/10

The Brave and the Bold: Book of Destiny-So, initially I was a little weirded out by B+tB being told in arcs as opposed to single issues, but carrying through two volumes? It's mad! But it's good. More genius team-ups: Superman/Ultraman (the Crime Syndicate world's fifth dimensional imp is one of my favorite characters), Flash Family and Doom Patrol (a nice haunted house/mad scientist story), Wonder Woman/Power Girl, Dial H for Hero and Metal Men, Boy Commandos and Blackhawks, etc. To tie them all in to one story over twelve issues, is another genius move. Ordway is a guy I've never been a fan of greatly but his work here is very Kirby-inspired and I may have turned abit of a corner on him. The overall story of this one is not as good as volume one, but i think the individual stories are better so I'll take what i can get. 9/10

Comic books: 301

Trade paperbacks: 73

Graphic novels: 5

Omnibuses: 9

Action Comics #895: This was great fun, and Paul Cornell retconned in the issue between Vandal Savage and Lex Luthor, without it feeling forced, as he used scenes inbetween parts of previous comics (Like a Flash issue, and a Salvation Run moment) the back up, was sort of inconsequential, but enjoyable.

DC Universe Legacies #7: Very spotty, I didn't care about Supermans death (As it now means fuck all) and Bane breaking Batman, the family bit was nice, and the art by Dan Jurgens, wasn't that great. Back up wasn't for me either.

Green Arrow #2: Wow, this book was shit. Is Green Arrow supposed to be Hal Jordans best friend, cause I don't care anymore. I probably would have liked the art elsewhere, and I usually enjoy Green Arrow, but this? This was just shit.

Daredevil #512:First issue of the Diggle run that I have read, and the end of the Shadowland crossover (Which sounded stupid and shit) and frankly, I don't think I cared about anyone or anything in this book. Art was crap, writing was boring, all in all, probably the last Andy Diggle Daredevil issue I'm going to read as well.

Trades: 17

HC:1

Comics: 205

GN:0

Omnibus: 1

Books I've bought off of Mike!

The Mask Omnibus, Vol. #1 - I knew that the source material was nowhere near as family friendly as the Jim Carrey vehicle, and that there were a lot of key details that were changed, but I wasn't prepared for what I read. I did still enjoy it overall and it is still cartoony, if somewhat darker than the film. The concept was good, especially because the Kellaway character is a bigger focus than the Ipkiss character, but I wasn't big on the art. It wasn't terrible, but I thought it might have been slightly slicker. 7/10

The Irredeemable Ant Man - I loved this. I don't care about the lineage of the character, I just wanted to watch an utter scumbag as a hero, and this surpassed my expectations. Worryingly, I'd probably look like O'Grady if I go without a haircut for 5 months! I'm glad that the character did ultimately grow (if only slightly, retaining his self-centredness) and managed to end the book on a high. If there's a follow-up, I'd be VEEEEEEEEEEERY interested, which is quite a feat given that I'm not a comics guy. 9/10

The Mask Omnibus, Vol. #1 - I knew that the source material was nowhere near as family friendly as the Jim Carrey vehicle, and that there were a lot of key details that were changed, but I wasn't prepared for what I read. I did still enjoy it overall and it is still cartoony, if somewhat darker than the film. The concept was good, especially because the Kellaway character is a bigger focus than the Ipkiss character, but I wasn't big on the art. It wasn't terrible, but I thought it might have been slightly slicker. 7/10

See, I love Doug Mahnke's art on this book. It's dark, gritty, and ultra violent, but it perfectly captures the cartoony, over-the-top nature of the the mask's powers.

See, I love Doug Mahnke's art on this book. It's dark, gritty, and ultra violent, but it perfectly captures the cartoony, over-the-top nature of the the mask's powers.

Heh, I knew I'd over-stepped my mark by posting in here!!

I won't deny that it captured the gritty and comedic mood, it just seemed a bit basic for the most part. I did like the blood spattering outside of the panels though.

The Irredeemable Ant Man - I loved this. I don't care about the lineage of the character, I just wanted to watch an utter scumbag as a hero, and this surpassed my expectations. Worryingly, I'd probably look like O'Grady if I go without a haircut for 5 months! I'm glad that the character did ultimately grow (if only slightly, retaining his self-centredness) and managed to end the book on a high. If there's a follow-up, I'd be VEEEEEEEEEEERY interested, which is quite a feat given that I'm not a comics guy. 9/10

:buttrock:

:buttrock:

Seconded. Great, great series.

Green Arrow #2: Wow, this book was shit. Is Green Arrow supposed to be Hal Jordans best friend, cause I don't care anymore. I probably would have liked the art elsewhere, and I usually enjoy Green Arrow, but this? This was just shit.

It may mean I'm just too old, but the fact that someone asked this question just floored me.

It may mean I'm just too old, but the fact that someone asked this question just floored me.

No, that's a good point. It's not that you're old either. Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams are gonna come hunt down Suavestar.

No, that's a good point. It's not that you're old either. Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams are gonna come hunt down Suavestar.

In Blackest Night, I'd swear Hal makes reference to Barry Allen being his best friend, that is why I was asking the question.