Every comic you've read in 2010

Missy

Untold Tales of Blackest Night-Interesting. I didn't know what it was when I first got it but it isd interesting enough to see the cut scenes from Blackest Night. Some interesting stuff. Mostly just cashin fodder. I don't blame them though, when Marvel is still publishing House of M tie-ins. 4/10

Green Lantern #58-Fucking fantastic. Gorgeous work. 9/10

Green Lantern Corps #53-Good. Still not up to the previous team's level but good nonetheless. I m really looking forward to the Weaponer vs Sinestro. Kyle fans need to read this. They'll like it a bit more than me. 7/10

Green Lantern Emerald Warriors #3-Best GL book right now. Fuck, it's good. Superb art, wonderful writing. 10/10

Spider-Man Saga-Funniest book I've read all year. A rundown of SM continuity since he outed himself in Civil War. This is like the worst fan-fiction ever made. I still chuckle when I think about it. 0/10 for content, 10/10 for entertainment value.

ROBW #5-Well finally. A good issue from this series. I haven't really liked one since the first issue. I'm pre-dispopsed to noir but I like this one. Sook needs to do more comics. 7/10

B&R #15-Pretty good stuff. Hangs a lot on those last five or so pages. It meanders and dawdles too much to really capitalize on it. Too many months have been riding on that last page too and it just didn't work. 7/10

Brightest Day #11, 12-I'm not sure how much I care about Aquaman and new Aqualad. I don't care about Firestorm, but I'm starting to care about J'onn. Where the fuck are Hawk and Dove? They are awesome in this series. I wants. This is a lull in the series as far as I'm concerned. 6/10

DCU: Legacies #6- It seems weird to go from issues 1 to 5 covering pre-WW2 to Crisis and then taking one issue to go from Crisis to Legends. This one stalled. Not a big Ordway fan but he did a fine job here. The LOSH back up was dreadfully awful. 6/10

Soldier Zero #1-Seems kind fo typical. I won't be picking up the trade for this. 4/10

Captain America #611-The trial of Bucky should be fun. There's a great mixture of the discussion between why his history was blocked from the rest of the Avengers and Bucky fighting Neo-Nazis. Good stuff as usual. 8/10

Ultimate Avengers 3 #3-Finally, a decent issue. Still not liking Dillon's art here and I'm beginning to wonder why I ever did. I'm over this series. 6/10

Next DM:

Vertigo Resurrected #1

Creepy #4

Tomb of Terror #1

Hellboy/Beasts of Burden

Batman Hidden Treasures

Comic books: 284

Trade paperbacks: 61

Graphic novels: 4

Omnibuses: 9

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excalibur Classic vol. 1-rereading through these, while the GN to start off is a little shaky, the first five issues of the series are amazingly good. Claremont's overwriting seems to work in this universe. Davis draws probably the most beautiful women I've seen in art (him Manara and Serpieri, now only if he'd do books like them). I was caught off guard by how dark it is on top of being this great, funny superhero adventure story. CB's alcoholism, the loss of Cypher and the rest of the X-Men, it's quite powerful really. 9/10

7 Psychopaths-All. Right! Awesome. Loved this series. 10/10

Superman Earth One-I thought this was pretty fantastic. In fact, it ranks in my top 10 Superman stories. Only one or two missteps and a really shitty newpaper artice at the end but if the film is an adaptation of this, it will be awesome. Shane Davis is brilliantly good here and JMS did a career best if you ask me. 8/10

Comic books: 284

Trade paperbacks: 63

Graphic novels: 5

Single Issues:

Brightest Day #1-14:

Jumbled mess of awesome, boring, and what-the-hell. Way too many characters in there, and none of them getting nearly enough screentime. (panel-time?)

Wonder Woman #600-604:

Costume issues aside, this is pretty interesting. I like where it's going, and am curious to see how it unfolds. It does feel like it's being written entirely for the trade, though, which makes each issue feel incomplete.

The Flash #2-5:

Loads of fun.

Green Lantern #53-59:

Very cool stuff.

Superman: Secret Origin #1-6:

I was disappointed and frustrated with it the first time I read it. After reading Earth-One, however, I'm noticing all the stuff that Secret Origin actually does right. So, yeah. This gets my stamp of approval, even if it's WAY too beholden to Donner's Superman.

Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne #1-3:

Cool stuff. Makes little sense, but I like it anyway.

TPBs:

Batman: Heart of Hush:

Hush cuts out Catwoman's heart. Batman and Doctor Mid-Nite put it back in. The End. What the hell?

Siege:

Lame.

Hardcovers:

Kick-Ass:

Bluh. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Just as dumb as the movie is awesome. So, terrible.

Graphic Novels:

Wonder Woman: Spirit of Truth:

Alex Ross knows how to draw icons. Paul Dini knows how to write them. Brilliance. (even if Diana looks surprised in EVERY PANEL)

Superman: Earth-One:

A decent story that is in no way a Superman story. Overall, bad.

Comic Books: 85

TPBs: 9

HCs: 2

Graphic Novels: 2

Batman: Heart of Hush:

Hush cuts out Catwoman's heart. Batman and Doctor Mid-Nite put it back in. The End. What the hell?

Heart of Hush technically has its real ending in the faces of evil issues, which are collected in the first Streets of Gotham Hardcover...for some reason. Its a more satisfying ending.

Selina finds Hush, and kidnaps him, stealing all of his money and giving it away, and handing him over to Dick and Damien to put in the Batbunker cell, so as not to be a problem.

Hush also kills someone under the guise of Bruce Wayne.

Selina finds Hush, and kidnaps him, stealing all of his money and giving it away, and handing him over to Dick and Damien to put in the Batbunker cell, so as not to be a problem.

Yeah, I read that one, and liked it a lot. But the standalone Heart of Hush TPB is just... eh.

I can overlook the weirdness for two reasons: The art and the moment with the Joker in Arkham.

I had more problems with the way that they made Hush seem like a stupid character, actually. Even though it made perfect sense, it all made him seem less badass.

It kind of reminds me of the Joker's speech in Return of the Joker. Behind all the stern and bandages, Hush is just a little boy in a playsuit, crying because he wants to be Bruce Wayne.

Thor: The Mighty Avenger #4-5 - Roger Langridge and Chris Samnee have created a comic that is everything a Marvel comic book is supposed to be. So of course, it's ending with issue 8.

thor4.jpg

Total

Comic Books: 102

TPBs: 4

HCs: 1

Graphic Novels: 4

Manga:

Atlas #1, The Authority #2, Avengers vs. Atlas #1-4, Batman and Robin #7-16, Batman: Nosferatu OGN, Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne #1-6, Boondock Saints: In Nomine Patris #1, Brightest Day #0, Casanova #1, Chew #1, Chimichanga #2-3, Cowboy Ninja Viking #3-6, FCBD Atomic Robo, FCBD Doctor Solar/Magnus, FCBD Iron Man/Thor, FCBD Iron Man: Supernova, Fist of Justice #3-5, G.I. Joe European Missions #3, The Guns of Shadow Valley Convention Preview, Hellblazer #25-26, The Indomitable Iron Man, Invincible #1, Joe The Barbarian #1-5, Marvel Boy: The Uranian #1-3, Marvel Must Haves #1, 3-4, 9, 15, Marvel Must Have: Vengeance of The Moon Knight, Morning Glories #1, Mysterius The Unfathomable TPB, The Mystic Hands of Dr. Strange, Orc Stain #1-4, Pinocchio Vampire Slayer OGN, Proof #1, Sam Slade RoboHunter #27, Savage Dragon #1, Scalped #1, Secret Origins #50, Spider-Man: Fever #1-2, Spider-Man/Human Torch: I'm With Stupid Digest TPB, Superman's Metropolis OGN, Thor by JMS Vol. 3 HC, Thor: The Mighty Avenger #1-5, Time Twisters #2,8,15,17,20-21, Weird War Tales #3, Weird War Tales #1 (2010), WildCats #1, Wonder Woman: The Blue Amazon OGN

JLA: Rock of Ages: Not my favorite JLA story. Not my favorite Darksied story. Not my favorite Grant Morrison story. Confusing, dull, and it has Electric Superman. That said, it has some moments that I don't hate, mostly with Joker, Batman, Aztek and Kyle Rayner.

I had more problems with the way that they made Hush seem like a stupid character, actually. Even though it made perfect sense, it all made him seem less badass.

It kind of reminds me of the Joker's speech in Return of the Joker. Behind all the stern and bandages, Hush is just a little boy in a playsuit, crying because he wants to be Bruce Wayne.

On that happy note, I'll post a trade paperback I finished reading this morning...

Batman: Hush- A decidedly mixed bag: Stunning artwork from Jim Lee and for the most part good dialogue (the best example being Batman's interrogation of the Riddler near the end), but suffers the same symptoms of the other Loeb books I've read, those being a weak mystery story, stuffing the story with as many characters as possible (seriously, did we need Amanda Waller? Lady Shiva? Ra's al Ghul?),and the "Batman-fights-this-supervillain-involved-in-the-conspiracy-in-this-issue" format. Some of the exposition is necessary (for example I didn't know who Harold was), but unless you're reading Batman comics for the first time, a lot of it wasn't (we all know what the Joker did to Jason Todd). Plus KnightWing is absolutely right about the characterization of Hush (see above).

Went through some old books:

Darhold: The Book of Sin #1-6: call it research. But damn was this bad. I understand Ghost Rider and Blade because of the whole Midnight Sons event but the Punisher? I mean, really?

Legion of Night #1: Ugh. Portacio's work is ugly here and Gerber just refuses to get the story going. Never finished it, never read the second issue.

Comic books: 291

Trade paperbacks: 63

Batman: The Return: Art wasn't that great, and the story was alright, but it certainly didn't justify its $4.99 price tag which is my real main gripe with the book. It was good in places, but it just wasn't anything to write home about. I liked the character moments, but again, for $4.99, this wasn't anything more than a preview of what is to come.

I really want to like it, but the price point is what's making me think it was a letdown, as otherwise, it was good.

Batman Inc #1: Now this was a lot better. They could have just not done return and gone right with this. Art was nice, and story was fun, and the ending made me laugh.

Trades: 17

HC:1

Comics: 175

GN:0

Omnibus: 1

Brightest Day #1-14: Don't care about the MM story at all, don't give a fuck about the Hawks while I'm at it, and the Firestorm story is just bland. However, the Aquaman story is fucking awesome, and I'm enjoying the Deadman parts. The issue with Batman was awesome "How do you know who I am?" "I'm Batman" "Touché"

Teen Titans #88: Well, that was alright, but not great. I'm sort of interested to see how the team gets on with Damian. Art was alright, but Scott can do better.

Trades: 17

HC:1

Comics: 190

GN:0

Omnibus: 1

Trades from Black Friday:

Batman Ego and Other Tails: This deserves an essay. It's great. Selina's Big Score is the best Catwoman story ever. Darwyn Cooke, fuck yeah. 10/10

Justice League International: The first trade. I don't think I'll be picking up any more of this. I do love Booster and Blue Beetle, and I can see why this is iconic, it's just the start of a lot of modern trends that I think have been refined since this book came out. 6/10

The Authority: Under New Management: Ellis and Hitch's last arc, followed by Millar and Quitely's first. Both strong, but Ellis and Hitch were a tough act to follow. Jenny Sparks dies in one of the most heroic and awesome manners in comics, and it's a testament to Ellis as a writer. 8/10

Destroyer: Robert Kirkman and Cory Walker. I still like the first issue the best, but all the same this is a tight, brutal little book. It's violent, but it's gorgeous in it's violence. A great story and Keen Marlowe is one of the coolest characters in comics. 8/10

The Batman Chronicles Volume 1.: Golden Age Batman is fucking hardcore. I'm actually underwhelmed with the stories and art, but that's not why I'm reading this. I'm reading this because it's history. From the stuff here, I just can't understand how Batman got so huge. ?/10

Irredeemable vol. 4- mixed bag as far as the Special they included but the rest of the monthly issues are fantastic. Great stuff. At first I was worried about how the story would play with so much focus on his former allies but it really is heating up. Also, Paul Azaceta is going to be one of the biggest artists in the business in a couple years. Watch. 8/10

Excalibur Classic vol.2 -Forgot how good the Excalibur tie-ins with Inferno were. Better than anything else being published. Alan davbis is a god who makes even Art Adams look like an amateur. All the worse for the Marshall Rogers fill-ins. 9/10

Excalibur Classic vol. 3-Book one of Cross-Time Caper, probably the most bizarre mainstream storyline of the 90s. This volume has some of my favorite all time Excalibur moments: the Kurt Wagner Warlord storyline playing out across two issues, the cover to issue fourteen being one of my favorite comic covers/pieces of art ever made. Still, Leonadir and LIm fill-ins look amateur next to Davis. Dennis Jensen's fill-in is abysmal. 9/10

Excalibur Classic vol. 4-More of the same. Less Davis in this one. Instead, inferior efforts by Chris Wozniak Ron Lim, Barry Windsor Smyth and Colleen Doran. Much better selection of fill-ins. Higgins and Austin offer writing that isn't as good as Claremont's. total mixed bag. 6/10

Thoughts in an upcoming DM:

The Anchor: Black Lips

Nightmare World vol. 2

Comic books: 291

Trade paperbacks: 69