Every comic you've read in 2010

Missy

New Avengers, volume seven: The Trust

This is a great collection, and I love the gang that The Hood has put together. What they do to Tigra, The Avengers, and SHIELD really sets the group up as a major threat in the Marvel Universe.

The only downside to the book is this: if you're new to Marvel's comics and / or The Avengers and grab this first, a lot of the character moments will go over your head / confuse you. Sure, there's a "previously" blurb on the credits page, but it's small, easily missed, and doesn't capture the scope of the major changes to the MU.

Comic books: 70

Trade paperbacks: 43

Graphic novels: 1

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thunderbolts #144

Luke Cage has been assigned as the new leader of the Thunderbolts, and this issue sees him building his team. Oddly enough, he seemingly has zero say in who's on it.

That's it. That's the issue. There's not much of a story here, and the characterization is very surface-level. I mean, in an effort to remind us that Cage is a badass, the issue opens with him needlessly jumping from an aircraft without a parachute. If that weren't bad enough, an unnamed character delivers this little bit of dialog: "I think he wants to be seen as separate from the government. And the prison. And you know what? He is." :rolleyes:

Steve Rogers and Hank Pym make cameos, and their voices seem wrong. Even Cage seems off.

It also bothers me that Cage has been demoted. Yes, it makes a lot of sense to have the man lead this team, but he was commanding the Avengers just a few months ago.

The art is mixed. A lot of the normal faces look off, especially Steve and sometimes Cage. But the freakier characters (e.g. Ghost, Man-Thing) look great. Seriously, if I ever have the chance to own the first page with Man-Thing, I'll grab it. Tell me this isn't awesome!

thunderbolts-man-thing.jpg

Question 01: If Luke Cage has unbreakable skin, how is it he has an earring in this issue?

Question 02: What the hell happened to Songbird's hair?

Mistakes: Xavier calls Cain Marko his half-brother, but they're stepbrothers.

Comic books: 71

Trade paperbacks: 43

Question 01: If Luke Cage has unbreakable skin, how is it he has an earring in this issue?

He's always had it, it was done before his skin became unbreakable. It wouldn't heal over unless he stopped wearing it for some time.

Question 02: What the hell happened to Songbird's hair?

No clue, but its hideous.

New Avengers, volume eight: Secret Invasion, book one

Previously I stopped reading New Avengers around this point, so I wasn't sure if Bendis had ever explained how the Skrulls were infiltrating Earth undetected. But it's all in here, and I like what he's done. The constant cloning and destruction of Reed-Skrulls and the way they trick said Skrull into giving them the info they need to take over the planet is very well done.

Really, the only issue I wasn't crazy about was the Echo one, and that's because I'm not a fan of David Mack's art and the story is a little too quick. Otherwise, it's a solid collection. I mean, even the Ka-Zar issue is fun, if only for Spider-Man.

That said, I do have one nitpick with this volume: there are a few scenes where Ronin (Clint Barton) is talking to Echo with his mask on, and she understands him. Oops!

Comic books: 71

Trade paperbacks: 44

X-Force #27

With only five more issues of Second Coming after this one, the crossover is clearly coming to a head. This issue, like the others, is very well written. At one point Cyclops is forced to sacrifice six mutants in a bid to end the war, and the final two lines of the issue really drive home the point that he will suffer any loss to save his species. It's a very tender moment for a man who's had to be diamond-hard throughout the storyline. And the same goes Cable; when he bids farewell to Hope, you get the sense that he knows he'll never see her again. (That scene, more than any other, is carried by the wonderful Mike Choi art.)

If it weren't for solicitations, I'd also wonder who would lead the X-Men into the future, as it seems Cyclops might not make it out of this alive. Granted, solicited cover images have changed; both companies are not against releasing fake (or doctored) covers so as not to spoil the ending of stories. But I wish I hadn't seen them nonetheless, because it kills a little of the suspense.

Just for fun, let's say Scott does die, here's who I think might lead the team:

Emma: She's been the co-leader of the team for ages now, and has advised Scott throughout some of his toughest battles. She's a natural leader who can make the hard choices, as has been seen time and time again, but she isn't without a heart. If Scott falls in battle, she'll either turn against Hope (and the X-Men) for not saving him, or will lead the team in his name. It's 50 / 50.

Storm: As the former leader of the X-Men, a respected member of the team, and a queen, she knows how to command her people. And now that she knows about X-Force, she'd want to bring the X-Man back to Xavier's peaceful dream and away from Scott's harsh reality.

Dani Moonstar: As the co-leader of the New Mutants, she's ready for a big step up. This would be that chance. In this storyline alone she's seen a friend lose a limb, other mutants die, she's turned on Hope, and went after Wolverine in this issue (he made a crass, but very funny joke about Cypher). Like Storm, she'll want to position the X-Men closer to Xavier's vision, but I think she'd keep some of her edge -- which the mutant race needs.

Anyway, enough of that tangent.

Despite a few missteps (e.g. Hope not being a ginger on the final page), the art here is wonderful. And it has to be, because the first 10 pages carry no dialog or captions. It's pure action. But when everything settles down and the X-Men have to regroup, Mike Choi doesn't slack. After this I hope he lands a really big gig at either company.

Comic books: 72

Trade paperbacks: 44

If it weren't for solicitations, I'd also wonder who would lead the X-Men into the future, as it seems Cyclops might not make it out of this alive. Granted, solicited cover images have changed; both companies are not against releasing fake (or doctored) covers so as not to spoil the ending of stories. But I wish I hadn't seen them nonetheless, because it kills a little of the suspense.

Nightcrawler was in some of the promo art for the post-Second Coming books and Cyclops making a heroic sacrifice at this point would be a satisfying cap to his character arc.

Was he? I didn't notice that.

As for Cyclops, it would make a lot of sense, but, really, I don't want it to happen. Thanks to Joss Whedon and Matt Fraction, Scott is now one of my favorite characters.