Every comic you've read in 2010

Missy

Earth X - HATED IT. It was interesting in the beginning how they were connecting all these stories together, but it just went on and on, and I seriously didn't care. After reading the 5 origin story I was tired of the book. It didn't click with me, it was long and laborious, lots of exposition, lots of telling and not showing, just didn't click with me at all.

Comic Books: 1

TPBS: 23

X-factor vol. 4, X-men: Messiah Complex, X-factor vol. 5-7, X-factor: Layla Miller, Authority: Relentless, American Virgin 1-4, Incredible Hercules: Against the World, Dark Avengers Assemble, Thunderbolts Burning Down the House, Deadpool vol. 2, Secret Warriors vol. 1, Fell, Avengers/X-men: Utopia, Planet Hulk, Point Blank, Sleeper: Season 1 and 2, Incognito, Earth X

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having only been able to get internet access on something other than my iPod since Saturday, I was unable to download the comics for this week's IIWY.

Ultimate Comics Avengers #5-For those complaining about the rapey/baby-killing nature of DC these days, you can add Marvel to the list. Funnily enough, it happens in the same week. We get it, Red Skull is evil. I like it though. I've come to terms with the fact that MIllar's Ultimates is like Michael Bay with characters you actually enjoy reading. This is somewhat less so in this new series but there were some really nice moments here like a call-back to Cap's French comment from the first series. I liked it enough. 6/10

The Origin of Dr. Voodoo-or whatever it's called. Want to spend four bucks on reprints you already have if you're interested in the character? Hate black and white comics? Enjoy really shitty and pointless modern framing sequences in reprint books? Man, is this the book for you! If you're, you

know, someone with a functional IQ then you should probably just pass on this and spend three times the cover price on 10 times the page count with Essential Marvel Horror volume 1. See how that math works out? Colan's art really is pretty in these three reprints though...

Comic books: 64

Trade paperbacks: 17

Graphic novels: 1

Omnibuses: 2

Batman Confidential #42: Average story, looked nice. One issue of Sam Kieth's story left, and it doesn't look like this will be a good ending.

Batman and Robin #10: Andy Clarke's art was the star of the show here. Though Morrisons writing was really good.

Batgirl #8: Red Robin crossover that actually writes the character better than his own fucking book. Art by Talent Caldwell nearly ruined a fun book.

Red Robin #10: I am growing to hate Tim Drake because of this book. Yost is writing him as a bi-polar looney tune who isn't interesting and deserving of his own book.

Marvel's Oz book #1: It was $1, and it looked nice. Don't really care for reading the rest, so this is a missable book.

Trades: 8

HC:0

Comics: 50

GN:0

Been reading a novel and watching movies without comics lately.

Losers Volume 1 and 2-starts out with a bang with some great storytelling in volume one. Jock's art vascillates wildly from impeccable and innovative to just plain awkward. He's really inmproved since this. Second volume is awful. This is what happens when a writer has an idea for a miniseries that editorial wants to make an ongoing. It doesn't work. Starts again with a bang and ends pitifully. Kind of wish I never ordered this. I'm more interested in the movie. 3/10

Comic books: 65

Trade paperbacks: 18

Alias Ultimate collection vol. 1 and 2: I read the full series of Alias over the past 2 1/2 weeks, I really liked it. Its up there with Brubaker's wildsorm universe Sleeper. Its another noir series about identity, but this time the lead character is female and a private eye, instead of male and an undercover agent. Jessica Jones is a great character and this book lives and dies on her progress and her search for identity. Easily the best issue of the series is the Daily Bugle issue, it's hilarious, self-contained, fun, and continues the meta plot about identity for the series. A great read, and I really liked the use of cameos in this book, Luke Cage, Murdock, Ben Urich, Jonah James, and others are weaved seamlessly into this story. As for Bendis, I understand he's getting hate these days for his work on Avengers and the whole series of Marvel Events (especially Secret Invasion), but this work reminds me more of his excellent run on Daredevil than his run on New Avengers. Mind you, I liked New Avengers, especially everything pre-Invasion, but this work is better than that stuff, and is much grittier and focused than that work was.

Comic Books: 1

TPBS: 25

X-factor vol. 4, X-men: Messiah Complex, X-factor vol. 5-7, X-factor: Layla Miller, Authority: Relentless, American Virgin 1-4, Incredible Hercules: Against the World, Dark Avengers Assemble, Thunderbolts Burning Down the House, Deadpool vol. 2, Secret Warriors vol. 1, Fell, Avengers/X-men: Utopia, Planet Hulk, Point Blank, Sleeper: Season 1 and 2, Incognito, Earth X, Alias Ultimate collection vol. 1-2,

Superman: Escape from Bizzaro world. Well, this looked nice, shame the story wasn't very interesting.

Green Lantern: Wanted. You know, I read revenge of the Green Lanterns, and I enjoyed it, I read Sinestro Corps war, and I enjoyed it. This, was average, it looked alright, but nothing special. The Star Sapphire story was good, but it didn't really interest me in those characters, at all.

Thor #1: I got it for $1, and I enjoyed it, even if it was short. I'm adding the first trade of the JMS run into my Amazon wishlist.

Trades: 10

Comics: 51

What if: World War Hulk. With the exception of the back up one panel joke stories, this was a waste of time.

What if: Elektra killed Daredevil. Ditto.

What if: House of M: Spider-Man. After reading this, I never want to read the House of M storyline, this made it sound fucking awful. The art was inconsistent and the colouring was awful, Daredevil may have been the worst of the three, but this was nearly as bad. It made no sense, and wasn't fun at all. The back up is the only part of this I would re-read.

Iron Man VS Whiplash #1. Average, nothing special, missable.

Iron Man VS Whiplash #2. Even more average than part 1.

Iron Man VS Whiplash #4. End to an average mini series.

As a side note, all of these comics originall cost $3.99, and yet, I got them all for a grand total of £2, a ninth of what they would originally have cost if I bought them separately. Doesn't mean I don't think they were shit and a waste of time though.

Comics: 57

All-Star Superman, volume two

I'm not crazy about the Bizarro issues or the one with the Kryptonian astronauts, but it's still a great series with a wonderful finale.

Scott Pilgrim, volume one: Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life

What a quirky, exciting comic. My only gripe is that Scott (who's 23) is dating Knives (who's 17) at the start of the book. I don't care that she's in high school, but the age disturbs me. Had she been 18, I wouldn't say a thing. But I found it very hard to connect with Scott due to this. That's a small part of the volume and is pretty much dropped once Ramona shows up, so it didn't remain a hang-up for long. Also, I liked this volume so much, I've ordered all five from DCBS.

Comic books: 24

Trade paperbacks: 22

Thoughts in Earth-2.net: The Show 388 (or 389)

First Wave #1

Green Hornet #1

Nemesis: The Impostors #1

Punisher Max: Butterfly

Ultimate Comics: New Ultimates #1

Comic books: 29

Trade paperbacks: 22

Thoughts in Earth-2.net: The Show 388 (or 389)

First Wave #1

Green Hornet #1

Nemesis: The Impostors #1

Punisher Max: Butterfly

Ultimate Comics: New Ultimates #1

Batman & Robin #8,9-I love this. Love Knight and Squire and the dynamic between Dick and Batwoman. Even Damien is growing on me. Great stuff. 8/10

Comic books: 72

Marvels Project #6-Consistently one of the best things Marvel publishes. I love this history of the unniverse stuff and it is awe-inspiring how they're allowing it to unfold. Brilliant. 9/10

Captain America #603-Kind of a "let's move the plot forward" kind of issue. Almost a non-vent really. The art was great but really it felt like it could have been two pages of story. And since it's four bucks with a shitty backup no one wants to read, that's a shame. 6/10

In this week's IIWY?

Titans #23

AT-eam War Stories: Hannibal

Comic books: 76

Joe the Barbarian #2-Wow. Literally awe-inspiring. Everytime I think I find Morrison's opus, he outdoes himself. Sean Murphy's no slouch either. Dang. Beautiful art. 10/10

Comic books: 77

Cowboy Ninja Viking #5

Cowboy Ninja Viking #4-Is it just me or did this suck? Boring, confusing, and just plain unfunny. 2/10

Instead of writing the same thing for issue 5, I'm just repeating what Des has written. Issue 5 was a waste of fucking time, wasn't fun, and made no fucking sense and looked horrible, not in the, it's meant to look different way, more in the "Who took a shit on my comic" way. The writing was shite, and I couldn't tell who was talking half the time, mostly because of the speech bubbles having no fucking owner. The story made no fucking sense, and when it ended, the final fight, I actually looked to see if I missed anything, I didn't, it really was a big fuck you. Thank fuck I am now dropping this book. 0/10 and to quote Dread "Fuck this book." And now, instead of just quoting Des, I have now quoted him, and went off about his comic. Awesome.

Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam #14: This comic is still good, clean superhero fun, that I am still, really enjoying. The art by Mike Norton is awesome, and the more I see, the more I want to buy original art from him. The story is fun, and I recommend picking this up for a fun Black Adam/Captain Marvel fight. Which, although short, is fun.

Comics: 53

Scott Pilgrim, volume one: Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life

What a quirky, exciting comic. My only gripe is that Scott (who's 23) is dating Knives (who's 17) at the start of the book. I don't care that she's in high school, but the age disturbs me. Had she been 18, I wouldn't say a thing. But I found it very hard to connect with Scott due to this. That's a small part of the volume and is pretty much dropped once Ramona shows up, so it didn't remain a hang-up for long. Also, I liked this volume so much, I've ordered all five from DCBS.

Glad you liked it, I was leant it by a friend and immediately went out and bought the remaining volumes. The Knives thing doesn't bother me because it is a subject of much comment in their group, 17 being the borderline for that sort of thing. 18 is comfortable, 16 is a no-no, 17 is the transition. If Scott was older I might take issue, but they aren't too far apart in my book

(he says this knowing that he is at uni with a lot of 18 year olds and he is 26, a gap two years greater than Scott and Knives have).

Blackest Night #8

Having only read the first issue, and skimmed through the rest of the series, I was pleased with the final issue. That said, I'm still not sure why the heroes were turned into various Lanterns at the end of the sixth issue. Did I miss something in the series itself or one of the tie-ins? I mean, did it really come into play?

Comic books: 30

Trade paperbacks: 24