Every comic you've read in 2010

Missy

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neonomicon Hornbook-The follow-up to Moore's Lovecraftian work at Avatar promises to redefine Lovecraft for the modern era. This one left a lot to be desired so I'll wait on a trade for this one so it can match The Courtyard and Yuggoth Cultures anyway. Jacen Burrows is one of my favorite artists right now. Glad he's drawing something I can stand to read at least. 6/10

Kickass #7,8-the ending of this series did not live up to the fun i had in the beginning. It seemed too mean-spirited to me. The only thing the comic did better than the movie was the reveal of Big Daddy in issue 7. Other than that, this one kind of fizzled out for me. 4/10

Daredevil #500-nice sendoff for Brubaker and Lark. What I like better is the supplementary stuff: Miller's Roulette issue (brilliant) and a new story by Louise Simonson (who I've always seen as the unsung hero of Daredevil's mythology) is beautiful. 9/10

Teen Titans #74, 75-the less said about these the better. Finally dropped this pile of shit. Went from being the best book DC published hands down to the worst in the span of a few years. Garbage. 0/10

Flash Rebirth #4-6-Like I said before, once this series gets moving it gets better but I'm not lit up by the art. I'm not the Van Sciver detractor like a lot of you folks but a Flash book he does not fit on. Another series that kind of fizzled out near the end. But it does really seem like an exercise about a writer getting to know a character. Now he's got as handle, the new series should be interesting. 6/10

End League #9-Talk about fizzling out. The first three issues kicked the shit out of me. Might have had somethign to do with Tom Raney but this one really went into the shitter. 3/10

GL Corps #46-Superb. 10/10

Green Lantern #52-More superbity. 10/10

Blackest Night #8-A fine ending to the finest Publisher wide crossover in comics history. Bravo! 10/10

Joe the Barbarian #3-Really interesting slow roll-out for this series. Super fun imaginative storytelling. This is shaping up to be the greatest YA comic of this generation. Murphy's art is achingly beautiful. 10/10

Batman and Robin #10-Liking it thus far. Andy Clarke's art is a little hinky here and there and I'm not sure how much I like his attempt to ape Quitley a little bit here but it's solid. 7/10

Captain America #604-LOVE this arc. Great stuff. Loving Falcon's role especially. 8/10

The Marvels Project #7-Yes. Love this book. Goddamn do I love this book.

The Curse: a 24 hour comic-Were-pirates. Fucking were-pirates. Mike Norton is the man. 9/10

Justice League International vol. 4-This is where the book becomes what it is remembered for. I love this collection as it has the amazingly funny issues of the clean-up after Invasion as the Injustice League try to steal a spaceship with their techie, Bruce. These are the guys who would star in maybe my favorite single comics issue of all time. that's for another time, or I hope a late volume. The Guy/Ice date is here as well as the awesome issue of Amanda Waller in a fist fight with a reprogrammed Blue Beetle. Excellent. 9/10

Comic books: 115

Trade paperbacks: 21

Graphic novels: 1

Omnibuses: 2

Thoughts in Earth-2.net: The Show 399

Black Widow #1

Brightest Day #0

Cold Space #1

The Flash #1

The Savage Axe of Ares

Crossed

Des'll hate me for this, but I kinda liked it. It wasn't deep or anything special, but I was in the right mood for an over-the-top book like this, and it scratched that itch.

Comic books: 37

Trade paperbacks: 31

Immortal Iron Fist vol. 1-3, - I really enjoyed this, a lot more than I expected to. There's a huge underlying theme of family in these books and really it's a family drama set in a Kung Fu universe. I really like the blend of both the mythological aspects with the more noir/detective like aspects. And the rest of the Heroes for Hire play strong supporting roles and are implemented into the story well. I really liked this, it's not as strong as other series, but it's also pretty different. Even without Fraction/Bru spearheading the character, I'm interested continuing with other trades from this series (vol. 4 and 5, plus Immortal Weapons). Anybody else read them and give any advice?

Seven Soldiers of Victory vol. 1 - I'm done with Morrison's non-superhero, more experimental works. I didn't care for this at all and even though I own the rest of the series, I don't think I'm going to continue reading them. I didn't care for any of the characters, there was a lot of spiritual babble in a lot of the books that was hard to follow and I didn't care for, and the general themes (at least what I think are the general themes) seem to have been done better and elsewhere. And finally, the book is corny as hell, and I just didn't find myself having fun.

Comic Books: 1

TPBS: 36

X-factor vol. 4, X-men: Messiah Complex, X-factor vol. 5-7, X-factor: Layla Miller, Authority: Relentless, American Virgin 1-4, Incredible Hercules: Against the World, Dark Avengers Assemble, Thunderbolts Burning Down the House, Deadpool vol. 2, Secret Warriors vol. 1, Fell, Avengers/X-men: Utopia, Planet Hulk, Point Blank, Sleeper: Season 1 and 2, Incognito, Earth X, Alias Ultimate collection vol. 1-2, Animal Man by Grant Morrison, Mek/Reload flip TPB, Red/Tokyo Storm Warning Flip TPB, The Losers vol. 1 and 2, Final Crisis, Immortal Iron Fist vol. 1-3, Seven Soldiers of Victory vol. 1

If you want to sell the trades let me know.

I will want to sell the trades, but not in a month or so. I'm going to try giving it another shot in about a week or two, to see if it still floats over my head or not. Have you read them? If you have maybe you can shine some light on it for me, and I can come at them with a different perspective?

I've also got Animal Man and Final Crisis that I'll be getting rid of around the same time, if you're interested.

SHIELD #1

Though I didn't hate this as much as DW did, I didn't like it. Which is a real shame, 'cause I was looking forward to this book.

It's main fault is that Hickman is setting up too much in a single issue. In doing so, we never get to know Leonid or what his extraordinary powers are; the writer is so bent on world- and myth-building that he neglected to write any sort of characterization.

The other problem is that he's asking us to believe too much -- that the Brood and Galactus were on Earth centuries ago, that the most famous people throughout time fought them back. That might sound like an interesting idea -- and it is -- but it doesn't work as well as Hickman wants it to. Why are their no records of this? In a universe where modern heroes are tapped into the unknown, how has this not been revealed before.

All that said, Weaver's art fits the book. It isn't mind-blowing, but it does a solid job blending the supernatural with the real world. However, it doesn't save the comic, and the end result is a flat book that asks too much of its readers, while not giving enough back in return.

Comic books: 38

Trade paperbacks: 31

Iron Man and Thor: Oh. Dear. God. I think I started bleeding out the eyes while reading this. Bad art, bad story, bad dialogue. Includes the actual line, "WE ARE INCREDIBLY RICH! WE HAVE MORE RIGHTS THAN YOU!" Very happy I didn't end up paying for this, but I hope the actual writing that Fraction does is better than this, and the artists... just, no.

War of the Supermen #0: ...Eh. The art was passable (though why half of everyone's body is in shadows, I don't understand), and the beginning of the story was okay, the backup explaining the setup makes everything easier to understand (...and Superman didn't enlarge Kandor before this, why?). Won't follow this, don't care, but, again, glad it's free.

Blackest Night 6-8: Fucking awesome. The end. So glad I picked up the rest of this.

Iron Man and Thor: Oh. Dear. God. I think I started bleeding out the eyes while reading this. Bad art, bad story, bad dialogue. Includes the actual line, "WE ARE INCREDIBLY RICH! WE HAVE MORE RIGHTS THAN YOU!" Very happy I didn't end up paying for this, but I hope the actual writing that Fraction does is better than this, and the artists... just, no.

Stealing what Venneh said about this, seeing as I agree.

War of the Supermen #0: Fuck reading this shitty story, this issue made me care even less about the War, and I didn't think that was possible. Again, it was free, so the only thing wasted, was my time.

Trades: 10

HC:0

Comics: 78

GN:0

Brightest Day #0: Great setup, and I'm really interested to see what's going on here and what happens with all this. Great way to wrap up the last event and lead into the next. Hey, hey Marvel? This is event writing done right.

The Complete Dracula-Leah Moore sure fell far from the tree because I've never seen someone take a dense, atmospheric and intensely engrossing classic horror novel and making it a boring piple of drivel. Ugh. The art, though it is a little prettily painted, is marred by brutal storytelling. 2/10

Kobra: Resurrection-What a fun little collection. Taking the three issue Checkmate Castling storyline, ending it with Kobra Faces of Evil and adding a couple classic tales of Kobra (one being the book Kirby was fired off of mid production) for good measure made for a really fun read. 7/10

New Mutants #12-alright. I read this for IIWY last week but never got around to reviewing it. It's neither good nor bad. 6/10

This week's IIWY:

Batman Streets of Gotham #11

Nova #36

Comic books: 123

Trade paperbacks: 23

Omnibuses: 2

Amazing Spider-Man #611: Hello shitty filler issue with deadpool. The only things I liked about this comic were the cover, and Deadpools ringtone, only because it reminded me of itsjustsomerandomguy's Marvel/DC videos. Shit issue, crap art, the dictionary definition of filler.

Amazing Spider-Man #612: This was a lot better, it was about Electro, and once I got used to the art, it was actually quite enjoyable. Not something I would pick up if I didn't get it cheap, but still fun for what it was. Back up story with Black Cat was shit.

Incredible Hercules #138: Any comic that has lettering for the motion "Backslap" is fucking awesome. The art was good, and even if I've never read the character before this, and I haven't, i didn't feel lost, and really enjoyed the comic. Was fun, and I was sad to see it end. The Agents of Atlas back up did nothing for me. Again, not something I'd normally pick up, but it was fun, and I enjoyed it.

Billy Batson #15: Some interesting stuff, art was........there. An alright issue, gave some good Black Adam moments, but did nothing else, fights felt flat in this issue.

Savage Dragon #1: This was a fun first issue. It said who the character was, and opened with us seeing him at work, and then went back to fill in the blanks, in the same issue. Which is always a plus, I opened the book not knowing who the hell Savage Dragon was (Except that Des loves him) and I closed it wondering if I should get a trade of some of his stories. The reason behind Dragon becoming a cop didn't feel too forced, it was justified, and him being not being a vigilante was actually an interesting twist. I don't know where Dragon came from, or why he has no memories, but really, somehow the writing made me not care and just enjoy the issue itself. Art was good, but didn't blow me away. Unlike Spawn #1, this didn't feel like a giant piece of crap waste of time. It actually was good.

Trades: 10

HC:0

Comics: 83

GN:0

Savage Dragon #1: This was a fun first issue. It said who the character was, and opened with us seeing him at work, and then went back to fill in the blanks, in the same issue. Which is always a plus, I opened the book not knowing who the hell Savage Dragon was (Except that Des loves him) and I closed it wondering if I should get a trade of some of his stories. The reason behind Dragon becoming a cop didn't feel too forced, it was justified, and him being not being a vigilante was actually an interesting twist. I don't know where Dragon came from, or why he has no memories, but really, somehow the writing made me not care and just enjoy the issue itself. Art was good, but didn't blow me away. Unlike Spawn #1, this didn't feel like a giant piece of crap waste of time. It actually was good.

Interesting you say that. I'd suggest you grab some of the omnibus editions as they're about 600 pages a piece for very cheap. Funny thing is, when you find out what got him in the burning field, you wish you never knew.

Interesting you say that. I'd suggest you grab some of the omnibus editions as they're about 600 pages a piece for very cheap. Funny thing is, when you find out what got him in the burning field, you wish you never knew.

I'll put the 1st volume on my wishlist to pick up during my summer break. But yeah, along with Thor, it's something I'm looking forward to reading more of.

The Invincible Iron Man Volume 1-Wow. The single best 19 issues of Iron Man of all time. I am mindfucked by how good this is. The character, the mood, the dialogue, the plot. Perfect. Except for one minor thing that I can't even remember anymore (maybe I'm like Stark in this run...I am drinking!). But holy fuck was I impressed. And every writer with a new artist says "the work of his career" by Larrocca really is doing it and Fraction meant every word of it when he said it on Wordballoon. Larrocca's one of my favorite new artists. I'll be picking up Volume two in three years when it's collected and be grabbing the Thor one too if they do one. Goddamn. 10/10

Comic books: 123

Trade paperbacks: 23

Omnibuses: 3

Mighty Avengers, volume one: The Ultron Initiative

This a wonderfully drawn, well-written book. I love the team and their dynamic, the use of thought balloons is fun, Ultron is truly psychotic, and the little character moments add a human element to the story.

Comic books: 39

Trade paperbacks: 34